DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Mini 2 or DFI FPV Drone? Which one for begginers?

You're speaking of two different types of drones. If you're a beginner you should decide what type of drone you want to fly, what your main interest will be, regular flights or FPV using goggles most of the time, zippier, faster flights, even thru obstacle courses. That should be what helps you deciding which type of drone to get. There are really a lot more choices in FPV drones.

You're speaking of two different types of drones. If you're a beginner you should decide what type of drone you want to fly, what your main interest will be, regular flights or FPV using goggles most of the time, zippier, faster flights, even thru obstacle courses. That should be what helps you deciding which type of drone to get. There are really a lot more choices in FPV drones.
This is the first FPV drone out there that has stability modes N and S and can be flown exactly like a Mini 2 so while they are different they do have enough similarities that comparing the two seems valid. I decided to do this video after seeing posts of beginners trying to decide on which of these 2 drones to buy. I have expereince with both and wanted to share that. Maybe it will help someone make the right choice as no doubt some may have buyers remorse wishing that had purchased the other....

Reactions: A.O. and DJayI
Ok, let me throw in my 2 cents...
I have not flown a Mini 2 but had the Mavic Air 2 which is very similar and flies exactly the same as a Mini 2. I currently have and fly the DJI FPV.
First off, what do you want to do with this new drone you are coveting? Do you want to take videos and pics as a job if so the Mini 2 has a better camera. It is fun to fly around and take pics and videos and does a great job of it and the pics/videos are fantastic.
OR.. are you buying this just for the fun factor and maybe get some pics/videos to show your friends and family or maybe post on social media? Speaking of the fun factor the DJI FPV beats the Mini2 hands down!! Its faster, more nimble, and in Normal and Sport mode flies in the same way as the Mini2 but with the goggles on it is completely different!! Instead of looking at a screen (phone or tablet) or watching it up in the air, which is hard to do being so small... You are IN the drone flying around up in the sky!! To be legal you will need a spotter (at least with todays laws) but the feeling of being up in the sky flying is incredible!! AND if you want to do a little racing or obstacle course flying the FPV gives you the option of doing so.
Granted the FPV is a LOT more money, but it is also a LOT more fun.
And seeing that I got the whole MA2 set up first and then the FPV it was WAY more money, glad I recouped some of the money on selling my MA2.

Reactions: DJayI
Also, note sure on the exact legal rules in the US but I think you 'technically' have to have a spotter who has visual line of sight for an FPV drone. Not the same with a regular drone as you are not wearing goggles so can both fly and keep line of sight on the drone. So, you can't just go out on your own with an FPV. According the rules etc. etc. . . .

Agree on the earlier comments about remorse. Get a Mini 2 first, then upgrade to the FPV later as your second drone. My friend just totalled his DJI FPV after the first month. Had a lot of fun whilst it lasted. Was user error but he just didn't see a power line and it hit the power line ... then a tree ... then a rock ... then landed in a river. It was a heroic but expensive end to the drone.

Last edited:
There is some talk about the the FAA changing the rules to allow goggles without a spotter. There are laws and then there is common sense and the two are not necessarily the same. A pilot can either look at a phone screen or the drone and not both at the same time. To assume that flying while looking at a small phone screen is safer is unrealistic. One video on Youtube shows the pilot with the goggles over one eye so technically he is legal! No doubt he put the goggles on fully as soon as he was out of the shot. I think the goggles are far safer to fly with than the phone screen, the level of detail is much better. Also, the DJI FPV drone gives you a warning in the goggles anytime a plane is nearby, which for me has been nearly every other flight even in the desert. IMO the most important thing is to stay below 400' and I usually fly below 100' which is far safer. I'm surprised they allow flying over cities even downtown which is far more dangerous to the public than flying in open areas. I would never fly over a crowded city yet it is legal in many places. A danger I see is pilots flying their FPV drones at 60 mph through tunnels in parks when they have no idea if someone is going to walk across at the other end, several videos of that on Youtube. The Mini 2 would not be so dangerous due to its light weight and lower speed but heavier faster drones could do serious bodily injury.
But yeah, begginers are probably best to start with the Mini 2 and then go to the FPV if they get hooked. If they come out with a Mini 3 maybe it will have goggles capability? That would be nice.

Reactions: DJayI
Your question is easy to answer , definitely DJI FPV is not a beginner drone , so mini 2 is perfect for that purpose.
I have to agree. The FPV drone in the hands of a newbie will crash and cost you. The mini 2 is the best trainer, excellent for video and imaging, great to take on vacations and if a crash occurs, damage is usually minimal, especially with prop guards on. In fact a Mini 2 with full blade prop guards can be flown indoors, near friends, at parties with almost no risk of injuring someone or causing damage to anything, including itself.

The DJI FPV will fly exactly like the Mini2 in N and S mode (minus the tripod mode) absolutely no more difficult to fly, and has room for wilder things as you get better..
He’s asking for a BEGINNER drone , certainly The DJI FPV drone is not, the inspire and the phantoms are super easy to fly , but they’re more for professionals ,the FPV drone also is way faster than Mavic , phantoms inspire ,but they’re not for beginners,also the fact you don’t have the screen to control it , the goggles is another fact , something to consider with orientation , because you don’t have VLOS , on my personal and humble opinion , the point here at the end what’s the best for beginner. Fly safe

Good points! I'm kinda glad the DJI FPV was not available when I bought the Mini 1 and 2. I probably would have bought it instead. Looking back I'm fairly certain I would have destroyed it in the learning process even though it can be flown exactly the same in Modes N and S. The problem is the speed. Who can resist pushing the throttle to full stop? I know I would have begginner or not. Its the speed that gets folks into trouble.

I think the question you should have asked yourself what do you want out of it?

camera drone or fpv with limited camera option and also how do you fly as FPV always requires a spotter - if you wanted to get into FPV there are obviously cheaper options to learn but if you wanted an out of the box experience the FPV surely isnt a bad package though as you figured not cheap in case of pilot errors

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ICantStopTheLoneliness