DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji Mini 2 or Mavic air 2?

Can someone help me decide.

I need a drone that takes quality pics/vids for traveling. Will a mini 2 be good enough? Quality of the camera is important!

ps: I Had the MM1. Wasn't convinced about the 2.7k.

Grtz

Attachments

• 20201109_160837.jpg
    20201109_160837.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
  • 20201109_160939.jpg
    20201109_160939.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
NO

I am also concerned about image quality .
I sold my MM and bought a Mini2
I wish I could get the MA2 for the optical HW superiority but try to register and fly a >250gr drone in Austria ... then suddenly MA2 does not worth the effort
You're not the OP though so your concerns aren't relevant to my reply. OP specifically mentioned impressions on video coming from MM so MM2 might not satisfy HIS expectations.

Reactions: Dbez1 and GarthH
True, however OP mentioned video quality + travel suitability
Point is, both parameters need to be considered

Let me take this from a slightly different viewpoint... unless you are a very conservative pilot, you will eventually have a mishap. The sensors should not be a reckless fix-it-all , but they very possibly may save you from a fatal drone crash or two. If you fly enough, you will make a mistake and that alone is worth the extra expense and size for me. JMO. Best wishes!

Reactions: Jezabob92
Is the carry bag for the MM2 and MA2 quite close in size?

I bought the MM1 and had no problems with the photo or video quality, it looks amazing, and I can only imagine how much better the MM2 is, but my issue with the Mini was its lack of other features. Obstacle avoidance, scaled down versions of the Quickshots, no active track, no hyper-lapse, no waypoints(MA2 only has hyper-lapse waypoints anyway) so I was getting really bored with it really quick. Just six weeks later I picked up the MA2 and almost overnight stopped flying the MM1. I actually just sold it with full intentions of buying the MM2, but in thinking about it a bit longer I realised that apart from the tiny size and weight (Which is honestly amazing) you’re really going backwards in almost every area. For me it’s a no brainer, MA2 every day of the week!! It feels so much more solid, it sits in the air with so much more authority and there’s so many great features that from a pure value for money perspective I honestly believe that the MA2 is the best value quad on the market.

I have the MM, the MM2 and the MA2. I sold and upgraded my MA to the MA2, no brainer there, then I jumped on the MM for the fun factor and pop it out anywhere and go factor. Then the MM2 came out and had everything the MM was missing so I bought it and love it! Now I'll most likely be selling my MM and sticking to the MA2 and MM2

The MA2 is a better done, it can handle weather better and it just feels rock solid in your hand and flies rock solid BUT the MM2 is a real close second.

Like many have stated it's what your going to use it for and the type of portability you want, yes both are portable but the MM2 is ultra portable and well capable. It's a tough call, for me, both have uses so I'll be keeping both.

Did you decide yet?

For me, in the UK, the new EASA/CAA rules the become live at the end of 2020 mean I will have more opportunity to fly my Mini 2 over the Air 2 and Mavic 2 Pro. Whilst I love the features of the latter two, being able to fly in the A1 category and fly from my garden or over uninvolved people mean I will likely be using the Mini 2 more.

Reactions: Ian in London
I have the MM, the MM2 and the MA2. I sold and upgraded my MA to the MA2, no brainer there, then I jumped on the MM for the fun factor and pop it out anywhere and go factor. Then the MM2 came out and had everything the MM was missing so I bought it and love it! Now I'll most likely be selling my MM and sticking to the MA2 and MM2

The MA2 is a better done, it can handle weather better and it just feels rock solid in your hand and flies rock solid BUT the MM2 is a real close second.

Like many have stated it's what your going to use it for and the type of portability you want, yes both are portable but the MM2 is ultra portable and well capable. It's a tough call, for me, both have uses so I'll be keeping both.

Did you decide yet?
I went for the MA2 :p thanks!!

Reactions: Jezabob92 and ven

I need a drone that takes quality pics/vids for traveling. Will a mini 2 be good enough? Quality of the camera is important!

Grtz

Hands down the Air 2 : The problem with the Mini 2 is that is has potential but its very frustrating to get there as it can struggle at times when the Air 2 is always going to keep you happy and surprised.
The Air 2 can also be geared up to fly in the rain and the snow with no issues. The Air 2 is the Upgrade everyone should have made from the MM1

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Float on Water

Reactions: Jezabob92
Have you compared the COST of the batteries....That is the thing that's has me leaning toward buying a Mini2.. a drone that I don't need. ...I hope somebody posts a horrible non-explainable flyaway story soon. ;)
Definitely DO NOT check inventory at your local Best Buy. They might have one you could have in your hands in a few hours. I was on the edge, decided not to get one, then checked inventory at my local BB, and my fingers got a mind of their own all the way through online checkout.

DO NOT CHECK ONLINE FOR LOCAL AVAILABILITY. DON'T DO IT!!!!!!

????????

• Haha
Reactions: hiflyer201
Back to the OP topic, I haven't seen the correct answer yet.

Really you need both. That's the only answer. So make a plan, get the MM2 first, and follow the savings/funding plan to get the MA2.

Problem solved.

Grtz

I have the Mavic 2 Pro, but I wanted the Mini 2 for traveling. That, to me at this point, is the perfect combo; I have the 2 Pro for higher end videography/photography and the Mini 2 for convenience and travel. I'll be upgrading to the Mavic 3 Pro when it hits, selling off the 2 Pro at that point.

I've been doing nearly daily shots of the foliage changes here in New England; the Mavic 2 Pro needed a refresh due to a gimbal positioning issue that occasionally occurred (crash damage), so I snagged the Mini 2 to continue these shots while my 2 Pro was in the shop. It's been performing VERY well, even did well on a moderately windy day, images are sharp and look great. I DO have issues with direct sunlight lens flare, worse than the 2 Pro by far (Is there a lens hook for the Mini 2 yet)? But other than that, it's been performing really well.

Gene Nagata (Potato Jet) does a good job of evaluating the Mini 2 vs the Air 2 and the original Mini in this video. He typically does higher end video reviews but also does consumer electronics but again, mainly for videography and photography:

Last edited:
Reactions: k3vppa1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nilesh