DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji Mini 2 or Mavic mini

Jayanth3330

Reactions
Hi Mavickers,

Need your valuable advice.

I am a little tight on budget and confused between buying a DJI Mini 2 or DJI Mavic Mini Fly combo.

If I go for DJI Mini which would give me additional batteries and a fast charger, would I be missing a lot of features from the Mini 2?

You can compare the main features here.

I'm sure some or most Mini owners are pleased. But there have been more than a few problems reported. Besides upgrades incorporated in the Mini 2, such as a more robust comm system (Ocusync), stiffer arms, better camera, one would hope the niggling quirks of the original Mini would be corrected. Get the 2!

Having owned a Mini 1 and now a Mini 2 as well as a Mavic 2 Pro, I can tell you is that the Mini 2 is a drone you can grow into but the Mini 1 is a drone you can grow out of. In terms of performance there is night and day difference between the two drones. And then there's the better resolution and features of the camera.

If I were advising you and money was an issue I would advise you to do one of two things: 1) Wait until you've saved up the difference to buy the Mini 2, either the Fly More or an ala carte accessory collection. Or, 2) Buy the Mini 2 basic kit now and add pieces when you have the extra cash.

If you opt for #2, you don't need THAT bag that either fly more kit comes with. You can get great cases for $20-$25. The cradle that the Mini 2 comes with will do a pretty good job of protecting it when you put it in any bag, assuming it's separated from other hard items in the bag with it. For starting out you shouldn't have fewer than 2 batteries, but can proably get by with 2 for awhile. If you don't mind charging them one at a time through the drone it's not any slower than the battery bank but you have swap the batteries in and out to charge them both. And shortly there will be chargers that will be better than DJI's charger anyway. You'll need an extra set of props for around $12. So, if you skip the bag and can tough it out with minimal accessories you can get by initially for about $417 plus whatever tax and shipping you might incur. Initial savings of $83 from the $600 Mini 2 fly more kit and only a few dollars more than the Mini 1 Fly more.

Good luck.

Hi Mavickers,

Need your valuable advice.

I am a little tight on budget and confused between buying a DJI Mini 2 or DJI Mavic Mini Fly combo.

If I go for DJI Mini which would give me additional batteries and a fast charger, would I be missing a lot of features from the Mini 2?
If it helps Here is a list of the improvements that I have seen on YouTube etc comparing the MM to the new Mini 2. Please let me know if I have made any mistakes:
1. OcuSync 2.0
2. Better wind resistance (scale 5). 18 – 23 mph ( 29-37 Km/hr).
3. Digital zoom feature up to 4 times.
4. 31 minute battery.
5. Front arms don’t twist/flex as much as on the MM. Plastic covers instead of foam as on Mini 1.
6. 4K video 30 fps.
7. Better props (not so flexible).
8. Top speed up from 29 mph to 36 mph (46- 58 Km/hr).
9. High video bit rate increased from 40 mbps to 100 mbps = better image on phone/tablet.
10. USB C ports.
11. Quieter than MM.
12. Bigger remote battery 5200 mAh. Twice the size of MM remote giving 6 hrs of flight time.
13. Can use Smart controller with it.
14. Shoots photos in RAW now.
15. Still under 249 grams
16. 4K Hyperlapse
17. Battery smart discharge feature.
18. Customisable button.
19. Lipo battery not Lion like Mini 1
20. Better angle for flying into wind
21. Lighter than Mini 1 at reported 242 grams.

If it helps Here is a list of the improvements that I have seen on YouTube etc comparing the MM to the new Mini 2. Please let me know if I have made any mistakes:
1. OcuSync 2.0
2. Better wind resistance (scale 5). 18 – 23 mph ( 29-37 Km/hr).
3. Digital zoom feature up to 4 times.
4. 31 minute battery.
5. Front arms don’t twist/flex as much as on the MM. Plastic covers instead of foam as on Mini 1.
6. 4K video 30 fps.
7. Better props (not so flexible).
8. Top speed up from 29 mph to 36 mph (46- 58 Km/hr).
9. High video bit rate increased from 40 mbps to 100 mbps = better image on phone/tablet.
10. USB C ports.
11. Quieter than MM.
12. Bigger remote battery 5200 mAh. Twice the size of MM remote giving 6 hrs of flight time.
13. Can use Smart controller with it.
14. Shoots photos in RAW now.
15. Still under 249 grams
16. 4K Hyperlapse
17. Battery smart discharge feature.
18. Customisable button.
19. Lipo battery not Lion like Mini 1
20. Better angle for flying into wind
21. Lighter than Mini 1 at reported 242 grams.
Thanks for the summary. You've listed some things that I didn't know the Mini 2 had. I was unaware that it had a battery discharge feature and unaware of hyperlapse (I'll have to learn to use that).

Thank you for your valuable suggestions. I have decided to buy the Mini 2 without the FMC and save up only for the accessories which are absolutely needed.
Good choice. You will be much happier. The Mini2 is way better in soo many ways, including it's feel in the air. Let us know how you like it.

Reactions: Jayanth3330
Point 9 - bit rate. Thats only for 4K video recordings to SD card on AC. Lower resolutions are still 40Mbs. Since the MM1 could only go to 2.7K, it didn't need to go 100Mbps. Has nothing to do with FPV view on the app.

Point 13 - SC. It is not compatible with SC at this time. The MA2 however is now compatible. No timeline set on when DJI will make the SC compatible with MM2. The potential is there though, since MM2 uses Occusync 2.

I bought the mini 1 fly more combo for £380 just two days ago. I'm very happy with it. I'll probably upgrade when the mini 3 or 4 comes out.

Reactions: Bradders71
You finding the Mini 1 ok?
its really great. very very happy! 2k30fps is still very very smooth, I won't be doing many fast action shots, more landscapes and such, so I don't feel to upset about not having 2k60. If I really need I'll just drop to 1080p60.
Photos are really clear. The drone handles very well and is very smooth to fly. I've flown it 300m above sea level so far (80m above ground on a hill) and it was still very smooth. The price it's at now is a great deal, especially that it comes with 3 batteries, spares props, carry case and a quick charger plug.

The weather is awful now which is a big shame!

Reactions: Bradders71
Yay, glad you’re enjoying it.
Yeah weather is awful right now. Rain and high winds in London

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78