DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Not Honouring Warranty - Claims it was user error

As I said, I tried to stop it by hitting the RTH button and it didn't work. I use the RTH button all the time and I cancel it all the time.

Like I said (twice), your drone never entered RTH.
Go back and read what has been said already.

I tried to stop it by hitting the RTH button and it didn't work.

Hitting the RTH button won't stop Autoland, because it was not in RTH.

Now you know what actually happened... consider yourself fortunate you got it back before it hit the dirt, and that the expert analysts here stuck with you long enough to figure it out.

Reactions: Meta4
So now we're getting somewhere, I don't know exactly where but you agree as I have said several times, I did not hit the RTH button for it to return home. Since it was in auto land trying to stop it by tapping the RTH button would not work. So the million dollar question: Why did it go into auto land with 90% battery???

So the million dollar question: Why did it go into auto land with 90% battery???
PLEASE see the red circle in the photo below the graph in post #36!

Translated, it says: Avoid Airport, Landing

If it wasn't due to an airport issue, then go back to my suggestion that you accidentally initiated Autolanding.
Either way, the outcome doesn't change.
You could have cancelled the autolanding, but didn't
I do not have an "auto land" button, I have a "Return To Home" button and if I pressed that by accident it would got to 140 feet elevation and return to me. Slup said flying in an airport zone must have triggered the DJI fly safe protocol but does not know why it let me fly as far as I did, and you can see I flew a mission earlier, I think I flew 4 or 5 missions in that area. When I start my drone with DJI I have to check off several items that say I know what I am doing (in essence) and every month I have re-establish my permit by responding to DJI Fly Safe. When I fly a mission with "Dronelink" I do not get the 4 statement check off msg. So maybe this had something to do with it. I want to attempt some flights in the same area but I will have to do it early on a weekend when nobody is around.

DJI said nothing about that and as I said I fly in an airport zone every day.
Neither of those have anything whatsoever to do with THIS incident! You've already had analyses here by two of the best!!!

You don't have to have an Autoland button, THE DRONE ITSELF DOES THAT! That's why it's called "AUTOland"

It's time for me to 'unwatch' this thread before I say something that gets me kicked off..........

I use the RTH button all the time, just today I used it on 3 flights, after a mission is complete my drone goes into RTH mode and I stop it every time so that it does not land in tall grass and I hand catch it. [...] RTH would not be of any use if it just landed wherever you hit the button. I fly in a relatively dense area of cell phone towers, radio signals etc. I lose contact with the drone frequently just 800 feet away, not 50 feet away like I did that day, and RTH is eventually initiated and the drone goes to 140 feet, if lower than that, and flys back to me, it does not just land there.
Not saying this was actually the case in your issue, just something I picked up on in what you said above.

According to the user manual for the Mavic Mini (at the bottom of pg 13):
"if the aircraft is less than 20 m from the Home Point when the RTH procedure begins, it lands immediately. "

So, to correct what you said in the quote above, If you lose contact with the drone "50 feet away like I did that day", the drone will not climb to its configured 140' RTH height, instead it does just land there.

50ft = 15m

You are right about the 20m distance, I just flew it and when I hit the RTH button, at 65 feet or less in distance it started to land saying "Landing" and it had the slow beep that is heard when landing normally. I had guessed at the 50 foot distance but review of the flight record showed 78 feet when it initiated landing. When this landing was initiated I received the fast beep sound and I can't remember if it said landing. But regardless of what some people believe I did not perform the 3 second hold of the RTH button, I only hit the RTH button quickly once to stop it from landing and it did not work. BUT, I think I am onto something. I looked up the safe fly map and unbeknownst to me I was in the red zone of a small municipal airport. I was, as the crow flys, over a mile and a half away from the airport. They give a generous leeway in the map. I was not flying under the DJI app., I was using Dronelink to fly missions. I had to sign up to DJI safe fly because my house, where I fly a lot, is within close proximity to this airport, sometimes helicopters fly 200 feet above my house. Every time I fly I have to check off statements that I know the rules and fly with caution. Every month I have to re-establish this contract. I contacted DJI and they said that I should not have been able to launch at all never mind fly 5 missions. They don't quite understand why the program chose that particular time and place to force land the drone but they believe that it does have something to do with using the Dronelink program and not the DJI program. They are looking into what happened but I certainly will not hold my breath waiting for an answer. I had no idea the red zone was so far from the airport. I will just have to be more aware of this red zone, I have since printed some maps so I know. But DJI admits I should not have been allowed to fly no matter what program I was using, so there does seem to be some kind of bug in the program. I might go back to the same area (large parking lot) and try when there are no cars. I will try to launch with DJI program and see if stops me. I will not fly the drone, I just want to get a flight record showing what happens just in case it happens again but not in the red zone. I believe this happened to me when I was first flying but I was too green to know what was happening and too scared of crashing my drone to pay attention.

Reactions: Zbip57
I flew cautiously in the area where my drone went into auto land. I was trying to see if DJI programming would stop me from flying in an airport red zone, it did not. I received the same notifications that I receive in almost any area I try to fly around here. My house is 3 miles from the airport and every time I fly I receive the warnings. Here are some screen shots.Screenshot_20210823-145110.jpgScreenshot_20210823-145131.jpgScreenshot_20210823-145157.jpg
The 2nd check off scares me. DJI can use this to not take any liability, even if there is a bug in their programming. Like I said my house is not in any airport zone on there map but yet I get these messages every time I fly.

I flew cautiously in the area where my drone went into auto land. I was trying to see if DJI programming would stop me from flying in an airport red zone, it did not. I received the same notifications that I receive in almost any area I try to fly around here. My house is 3 miles from the airport and every time I fly I receive the warnings. Here are some screen shots.View attachment 133915View attachment 133916View attachment 133917
The 2nd check off scares me. DJI can use this to not take any liability, even if there is a bug in their programming. Like I said my house is not in any airport zone on there map but yet I get these messages every time I fly.
  1. What does the DJI Geo map show for that location?
  2. What does the FAA facilities map show for that location?
  3. What does the sectional chart show for that location?

I flew cautiously in the area where my drone went into auto land. I was trying to see if DJI programming would stop me from flying in an airport red zone, it did not. I received the same notifications that I receive in almost any area I try to fly around here. [...] Like I said my house is not in any airport zone on there map but yet I get these messages every time I fly.
The parking lot from your previous incident is located within the blue "Authorization Zone" of the Norwood Memorial Airport. It's not within the red "Restricted Zone".

NorwoodMemorial.jpg

The parking lot from your previous incident is located within the blue "Authorization Zone" of the Norwood Memorial Airport. It's not within the red "Restricted Zone".

View attachment 133920
That's consistent with the messages shown above.

That's consistent with the messages shown above.
Yup, it's within a blue Authorization Zone.

But there's still the question of why his drone was forced to land with the log file showing "Airport Avoid Landing".

Did he fail to complete the self-authorization before taking off. Would the drone then subsequently force land itself?

...But there's still the question of why his drone was forced to land with the log file showing "Airport Avoid Landing".

Did he fail to complete the self-authorization before taking off. Would the drone then subsequently force land itself?
As soon as OSD:flyCState switched to Auto Landing the OSD:flightAction turned to Airport Avoid Landing that should confirm the reason for the landing.

What might have complicated thing's is that he didn't use the Fly app during that flight, he used Dronelink. The odd here is that he could fly for 110sec before the auto landing started ... and he had plenty of satellites & a navhealth of 5 so a bad position couldn't have been a reason for the late landing.

Last edited:
I thought those large rectangular type pieces extending off the red zone were the red zone because some one said I was flying in a no fly zone. When my drone was forced down I was flying with "Dronelink ". I don't receive the restricted msg. But I have flown many missions in a restricted area and never had that happen. I live in the town of Dedham and I have to go through the authorization process every time I fly. If you look at the map Dedham is just under the H in Hyde Park and it's not in any of the restricted zones. So why do I have to check off all three boxes? DJI is baffled about this also. They want to take my drone and controller to study them. I don't want to give them for who knows how long.

I thought those large rectangular type pieces extending off the red zone were the red zone because some one said I was flying in a no fly zone.
The red areas are "Restricted Zone".
The grey fan-shaped areas extending beyond that are "Altitude Zones". Those are height restrictions. You can fly under them, just not climb up into them, or cross them at the indicated height or higher.
The blue areas are "Authorization Zones", which you've shown require self-authorization and acknowledgement of the risks and acceptance of liability.

By the way, if you click on the map icon in the bottom left of the Fly App, it expands the map out so you can see all of the GEO zones in your area.

When my drone was forced down I was flying with "Dronelink ". I don't receive the restricted msg.
You mean the "Authorization Zone" message?

So that's the question then. If you don't complete the self-authorization steps, is your take off prevented? Or, does it allow you to take off and only later force it to land?

As soon as OSD:flyCState switched to Auto Landing the OSD:flightAction turned to Airport Avoid Landing that should confirm the reason for the landing.

What might have complicated thing's is that he didn't use the Fly app during that flight, he used Dronelink. The odd here is that he could fly for 110sec before the auto landing started ... and he had plenty of satellites & a navhealth of 5 so that couldn't have been a reason for the late landing.
It should also be noted that I flew several missions with dronelink just prior to this incident. I have flown dozens, if not closer to 100 flights from my backyard which DJI says I am in the restricted zone, I disagree though.
I am happy, maybe more relieved, to see that others are starting to see that something does not add up. Many say that I hit the RTH button by accident. I was outside of the 20m area where the drone would just land there. So if I did hit RTH button then it would have flown to 140 feet and returned home. Others are saying that I was flying in a red zone but that's been confirmed false. So why did it happen? I think you hit the nail on the head when you suggested it must be something to do with using Dronelink. Dronelink says that their program does not interfere with any of DJI emergency software.

The red areas are "Restricted Zone".
The grey fan-shaped areas extending beyond that are "Altitude Zones". Those are height restrictions. You can fly under them, just not climb up into them, or cross them at the indicated height or higher.
The blue areas are "Authorization Zones", which you've shown require self-authorization and acknowledgement of the risks and acceptance of liability.

By the way, if you click on the map icon in the bottom left of the Fly App, it expands the map out so you can see all of the GEO zones in your area.

You mean the "Authorization Zone" message?

So that's the question then. If you don't complete the self-authorization steps, is your take off prevented? Or, does it allow you to take off and only later force it to land?
I believe that you will see all the answers you ask in my just posted statements

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS