DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI OccuSync Goggles...... Vaporware?

FlyawaySOB

Reactions
Like many, I was/am in love with the Mavic. That said, with no HDMI output/module, the only useful Fpv goggle experience (I don't count the random tablet or two w/ HDMI out as a practical or intriguing option) is the announced DJI OccuSync Goggles.... But there hasn't been mention of those since like October.

Is this going to be vaporware? Anyone know of more recent info? If they don't become available I'm afraid it's a near deal killer for me. The Mavic could & should be an ideal drone for a low latency, immersive, HD downlink goggle experience. I'm not talking about this in the racing quad sense, I simply mean as an experience consumers want in their hobby drone.

Am I being too impatient or is anyone else getting the feeling those goggles will either 1) never become a market reality or 2) will eventually be available but so late in the game people will be less interested in their 'old' Mavic and drooling over something else new that's out?

Reactions: IcySparks and Hook
Sound like DJI blew it . I guess it was just a teaser. They really did not show you much in the video except at the ending with these guys and the aw in their faces. I to was interested in the Mavic with the DJI goggles. I ended up canceling my order for the Mavic and ended up buying a Parrot Bebop2 FPV (Parrot BeBop 2 Drone with FPV Bundle (White) PF726203 B&H Photo) I know it does not compare to the Mavic Pro but at lest it will give me FPV. Give it a look plus its half the price of a Mavic.

I vote # 2. with an additional caveat. The price point that is projected will keep many away from the purchase

I am going to the CES show and will be poking around for answers to this.... I too am getting impatient for a good set of goggles... a true alternative to what is out there right now.

Reactions: skypros
I vote # 2. with an additional caveat. The price point that is projected will keep many away from the purchase
So true, if they come to market late(er) and the price is as expected, then they will not sell many, at least not enough to offset the cost of R&D and production. I am beginning to think the Cyrstalsky monitor is in the same basket of vaporware. High end accessories like this needs to follow the base product closely, to keep up the excitement, and the money flow.

I agree completely with the product follow up. I waited a while and broke down and bought an Ipad Mini 2, Hoodman Setup, Mavmount and now that I have invested my money in that I am less likely to purchase the crystal sky.

I can understand a buy a third party sourcing issue for the Mavic delay but now not having the crystal sky monitor and DJI Googles come out, that is unacceptable from a Marketing and also a Retailers stand point and the buzz like F6Rider stated starts to go away and like me who bought substitutes have spent my money.

Yeah... no way. Parrot's image quality is way inferior plus electronic stabilization, doesn't fold, less safety features, etc.. Parrot might be good for the price and if you need FPV right now then I guess buy whatever floats your boat. That said I think the Mavic is amazing for the price. Why are you on the Mavic forum if you don't want a Mavic?

Sound like DJI blew it . I guess it was just a teaser. They really did not show you much in the video except at the ending with these guys and the aw in their faces. I to was interested in the Mavic with the DJI goggles. I ended up canceling my order for the Mavic and ended up buying a Parrot Bebop2 FPV (Parrot BeBop 2 Drone with FPV Bundle (White) PF726203 B&H Photo) I know it does not compare to the Mavic Pro but at lest it will give me FPV. Give it a look plus its half the price of a Mavic.

Reactions: Johanna
Not VR. VR would require two cameras on the drone and at least 180 degree FOV. DJI Occusync Goggles are 85 degree. Just an FPV helmet with the Occusync receiver built in. Still looks friggin sweet though.

Just to be technical about it. You have FPV now by looking at a phone or tablet. That is FPV. The DJI goggles offer VR. You can have FPV and VR right now with Litchi, a phone, and a cheap pair of goggles like this: https://www.amazon.com/BlitzWolf-He...82438780&sr=8-1&keywords=blitzwolf+vr+headset It really is a cool experience if you haven't tried it, you should. It will pacify me until the DJI goggles are available which will surely offer more control and higher resolution.

Just to be technical about it. You have FPV now by looking at a phone or tablet. That is FPV. The DJI goggles offer VR. You can have FPV and VR right now with Litchi, a phone, and a cheap pair of goggles like this: https://www.amazon.com/BlitzWolf-He...82438780&sr=8-1&keywords=blitzwolf+vr+headset It really is a cool experience if you haven't tried it, you should. It will pacify me until the DJI goggles are available which will surely offer more control and higher resolution.

Why do you call it VR. It's FPV with goggle or screen. Goggle's are more immersive. With screen you can look up and back. With goggles on that's it till you land.

Not VR. VR would require two cameras on the drone and at least 180 degree FOV. DJI Occusync Goggles are 85 degree. Just an FPV helmet with the Occusync receiver built in. Still looks friggin sweet though.
Why do you call it VR. It's FPV with goggle or screen. Goggle's are more immersive. With screen you can look up and back. With goggles on that's it till you land.
2 cameras are not required for VR. That would be required for 3D. The ultimate would be 3D VR, but that's not here yet for drones. But, we do have VR. I don't call it VR. It's the industry. With Litchi you can look up and down and your gimble will go up and down (I've done this with my Mavic). You can look left and right and your drone will yaw left and right (I haven't tried this, I think this feature is available with the Mavic, but it is definitely available for Inspire, P3P and P4). That's a cockpit VR experience. The DJI goggles will be even better because it will have dual 1080 screens; one for each eye and you will have the ability to control flight just by looking in the direction you want to go.

Yes, I too have the P3P, Litchi and Hoodoo goggles ($28) and find it a great experience. Can exit and switch over to regular flight in a few seconds if desired. Will definitely consider DJI goggles if and when they come out, and revisit Mavic then as well since I have waited 3 months and no sign of getting it any time soon (cancelled my order).

2 cameras are not required for VR. That would be required for 3D. The ultimate would be 3D VR, but that's not here yet for drones. But, we do have VR. I don't call it VR. It's the industry. With Litchi you can look up and down and your gimble will go up and down (I've done this with my Mavic). You can look left and right and your drone will yaw left and right (I haven't tried this, I think this feature is available with the Mavic, but it is definitely available for Inspire, P3P and P4). That's a cockpit VR experience. The DJI goggles will be even better because it will have dual 1080 screens; one for each eye and you will have the ability to control flight just by looking in the direction you want to go.

When I said land I was thinking Acro mode not GPS.(my 250 racers) If you let go of the sticks in Acro mode machine fails out of the sky.
Correct if I am wrong. Would VR be a computer game with goggles not the real world. FPV is real world.

When I said land I was thinking Acro mode not GPS.(my 250 racers) If you let go of the sticks in Acro mode machine fails out of the sky.
Correct if I am wrong. Would VR be a computer game with goggles not the real world. FPV is real world.
You can call it whatever you want. Litchi is a very well respected app for drones. When using this app with goggles the programmers of the app call it "VR mode". Since you are able to control the yaw by looking around 360 degrees and also control the gimbal by looking straight down at the ground and up to 90 degrees (120 degrees if you have to extra 30 degrees enabled in the settings), I agree with Litchi in calling it VR since you basically are having the virtual reality experience of being in the cockpit of your Mavic. Sure, it's still reality, but the part of having the perspective as if you were miniaturized and sitting on the gimble of your Mavic is where it becomes virtual reality. You are no longer seeing from your real world perspective, but rather from someplace else. You are actually seeing in VR and FPV while doing this.

FPV = "First Person View." This is basically a term used in gaming. There is also "second person view" and "third person view." First person view is when you are looking through the eyes of the character in the game. You can't see the character. You are the character. Second person view is when you are looking at the character from a different angle. You are not the character. You are just looking at the character. Third person is when you are playing a game you actually see the character on the screen you are controlling as if you where standing directly behind the character. You are god-like. You can see every move and have complete control of the character.

So in the drone world, the drone is the "character" in this case. So while flying your drone, if you can see through the drone eye (the camera) this is FPV. It's FPV whether you are looking at a tablet, phone, or goggles. It becomes something closer to third person view when you are looking into the sky at your drone while you are flying it. It become FPV and VR when you are wearing goggles and have the ability to control the drone by turning your head and looking all around and seeing everything through the drone's eye/camera. Not only can you see through the drone's eye you, in a sense, become the drone.

Last edited:
You can call it whatever you want. Litchi is a very well respected app for drones. When using this app with goggles the programmers of the app call it "VR mode". Since you are able to control the yaw by looking around 360 degrees and also control the gimbal by looking straight down at the ground and up to 90 degrees (120 degrees if you have to extra 30 degrees enabled in the settings), I agree with Litchi in calling it VR since you basically are having the virtual reality experience of being in the cockpit of your Mavic. Sure, it's still reality, but the part of having the perspective as if you were miniaturized and sitting on the gimble of your Mavic is where it becomes virtual reality. You are no longer seeing from your real world perspective, but rather from someplace else. You are actually seeing in VR and FPV while doing this.

FPV = "First Person View." This is basically a term used in gaming. There is also "second person view" and "third person view." First person view is when you are looking through the eyes of the character in the game. You can't see the character. You are the character. Second person view is when you are looking at the character from a different angle. You are not the character. You are just looking at the character. Third person is when you are playing a game you actually see the character on the screen you are controlling as if you where standing directly behind the character. You are god-like. You can see every move and have complete control of the character.

So in the drone world, the drone is the "character" in this case. So while flying your drone, if you can see through the drone eye (the camera) this is FPV. It's FPV whether you are looking at a tablet, phone, or goggles. It becomes something closer to third person view when you are looking into the sky at your drone while you are flying it. It become FPV and VR when you are wearing goggles and have the ability to control the drone by turning your head and looking all around and seeing everything through the drone's eye/camera. Not only can you see through the drone's eye you, in a sense, become the drone.
Think you need to read this....

First-person view (radio control) - Wikipedia

So you are saying when I am racing my 250 quads with my fatshark goggles, with 5 other quads at the same time at my clubs field this is VR???.

"VR when you are wearing goggles and have the ability to control the drone by turning your head and looking all around and seeing everything through the drone's eye/camera."
That is a head tracker and don't need that to fly FPV.

Think you need to read this....

First-person view (radio control) - Wikipedia

So you are saying when I am racing my 250 quads with my fatshark goggles, with 5 other quads at the same time at my clubs field this is VR???.

"VR when you are wearing goggles and have the ability to control the drone by turning your head and looking all around and seeing everything through the drone's eye/camera."
That is a head tracker and don't need that to fly FPV.
Again, you can call it whatever you want. The mode that Litchi uses in their app is called "VR mode." It gives you the ability to actually control the quad with you're head/goggle movement. I call it VR too because it makes sense to me. I'd say if you can do this with your fatsharks then yes you are venturing into VR+FPV. However, I don't see people doing that while racing quads. I think a bunch of people would end up with whiplash and spectators would die from laughter.

Like many, I was/am in love with the Mavic. That said, with no HDMI output/module, the only useful Fpv goggle experience (I don't count the random tablet or two w/ HDMI out as a practical or intriguing option) is the announced DJI OccuSync Goggles.... But there hasn't been mention of those since like October.

Is this going to be vaporware? Anyone know of more recent info? If they don't become available I'm afraid it's a near deal killer for me. The Mavic could & should be an ideal drone for a low latency, immersive, HD downlink goggle experience. I'm not talking about this in the racing quad sense, I simply mean as an experience consumers want in their hobby drone.

Am I being too impatient or is anyone else getting the feeling those goggles will either 1) never become a market reality or 2) will eventually be available but so late in the game people will be less interested in their 'old' Mavic and drooling over something else new that's out?
It's been known for years that DJI is deceptive in their product release of add on's that enhance the use of a device. A great example is the Inspire 1 release in November 2014. Got everyone excited by the release of a X3 friendly handle that made your drone camera ground usable. Must have been 6 months later they released the black X3 OSMO system and completely snubbed the Inspire 1 community. Based on inventory it was 3 months later that you could purchase the $219 handle for use with the white X3. DJI excuse...purchase the $650 OSMO package as it has better selfie optics.

Regarding the DJI Goggles...DJI will fully propagate the field with Mavic and Inspire 2 consumers before releasing it. To date there has never been a product they show cased that didn't eventually go to market for a obsene amount of money and potential discontent. OSMO might have sold big but I've met few that really got alot of use out of it.

IMHO the DJI goggles will be of limited benefit when they do come out. I fly FPV almost daily. 250 race quads. I love the experience. When I originally ordered my Mavic I knew that the experience of flying it would be a different one. My purpose in flying it will be a different one.

I think companies like Fatshark have already covered the FPV market pretty well, The lack of an HDMI output on the mavic is a little bit disappointing, but I see an add-on with an HDMI out coming out in say 6 months. Either that or an Occusync receiver...If DJI doesn't do it, someone else will. It is only a matter of time which may be part of the hold up with the release of the goggles.

In the mean time if you really want the FPV experience with the mavic the Lichi app with google cardboard or an equivalent setup seems to work pretty well.

Personally I would prefer to spend the extra money on batteries and props for the Mavic, and then wait and see with the FPV side of things.

Best of luck to all.

DB

IMHO the DJI goggles will be of limited benefit when they do come out. I fly FPV almost daily. 250 race quads. I love the experience. When I originally ordered my Mavic I knew that the experience of flying it would be a different one. My purpose in flying it will be a different one.

I think companies like Fatshark have already covered the FPV market pretty well, The lack of an HDMI output on the mavic is a little bit disappointing, but I see an add-on with an HDMI out coming out in say 6 months. Either that or an Occusync receiver...If DJI doesn't do it, someone else will. It is only a matter of time which may be part of the hold up with the release of the goggles.

In the mean time if you really want the FPV experience with the mavic the Lichi app with google cardboard or an equivalent setup seems to work pretty well.

Personally I would prefer to spend the extra money on batteries and props for the Mavic, and then wait and see with the FPV side of things.

Best of luck to all.

DB
Occusync receiver...If DJI doesn't do it, someone else will...LightBridge and now Ocusync have been alien ware...pretty unlikely a outside option will become available and if it does DJI just disables it with firmware. If people want a immediate HDMI connection for googles...The Nvidia Shield tablet has HDMI out with display mirroring.

Reactions: dupuisdaddyo
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27