DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Props self destruct?

RSD1982

Reactions
9A55F58F-14FC-498E-A1C7-9185CD11B767.jpeg
During my pre-flight checks I noticed the silicon end of an A-Prop was damaged and almost coming off. I’ve only flown 7-8 batteries through the drone from new and these are the OEM props that came on the drone. I haven’t crashed it and haven’t landed with the props skimming anything. Has anyone else had this happen?

I’m going a set of Master Airscrew props to keep as spare. I’ve got brand new OEM props on that came with the fly more bundle for now but I’ll be keeping a close eye on them.

Looks like it has hit something

were you flying in very cold icy conditions ,maybe it was the cold that made the tip of the prop go brittle or it hit some airborne debris
the extreme end if the prop has a series of small holes in it which allows the softer orange tip to be attached during the moulding process if you carefully remove the orange tip and open it up you will find the very outer edge of the black plastic prop inside

Reactions: RSD1982
I have definitely flown in freezing temperatures, yes. I suppose that could be the issue. I always fold the drone, put on a prop guard and store it in a hard case so it's a bit of a mystery!

Reactions: racervt911
The propeller looks like was defective from the factory

Reactions: Galeforce1
The propeller looks like was defective from the factory
If he is doing a Pre-Flight safety check, presumably he has conducted Pre-Flight checks before the previous flights without noticing this damage.

It looks to me like It's a non flight impact that weakened or cracked it. During flight the speed of the prop started pulling it apart. That could be why it wasn't noticed on the preflight check.

Reactions: Galeforce1
Just a heads up on MAS props for the M3P. I put a pair of lime green (not that the color matters) on my drone in November. Only flown about 12 hours on those props, since I've been flying the Avata daily. I used the MAS screws supplied with the props. On Monday while in midflight, one of the screw heads popped off allowing the prop to release. I fell about 50 ft onto a roadway, barely missing a car. I was not flying over traffic, was over an open field, but when I lost the prop, the drone headed west and I had no conrol. When I went to remove the other lime green props to switch them over to my Orange MAS props, another screw head literally fell off as I touched it with the screwdriver. DJI has sent a replacement drone under my Care Refresh, and I'm waiting to see what MAS will do to resolve this.
To recap, I used the MAS supplied screws, the heads appear thinner and thus weaker (?) than the heads on the DJI screws.
and I used a precision iFixit brand screwdriver, and did not over tighten the props.
I'm a big fan of MAS and use them on my fixed wings and my drones, dating back to the Phantom 1. The props are great, but the screw are just too small and weak IMO.

Just a heads up on MAS props for the M3P. I put a pair of lime green (not that the color matters) on my drone in November. Only flown about 12 hours on those props, since I've been flying the Avata daily. I used the MAS screws supplied with the props. On Monday while in midflight, one of the screw heads popped off allowing the prop to release. I fell about 50 ft onto a roadway, barely missing a car. I was not flying over traffic, was over an open field, but when I lost the prop, the drone headed west and I had no conrol. When I went to remove the other lime green props to switch them over to my Orange MAS props, another screw head literally fell off as I touched it with the screwdriver. DJI has sent a replacement drone under my Care Refresh, and I'm waiting to see what MAS will do to resolve this.
To recap, I used the MAS supplied screws, the heads appear thinner and thus weaker (?) than the heads on the DJI screws.
and I used a precision iFixit brand screwdriver, and did not over tighten the props.
I'm a big fan of MAS and use them on my fixed wings and my drones, dating back to the Phantom 1. The props are great, but the screw are just too small and weak IMO.
Yikes! That is some scary stuff there. Any particular reason why you switched over from the original ones?

Yikes! That is some scary stuff there. Any particular reason why you switched over from the original ones?
I like the colors - I fly in the Seattle area where the sky is DJI Gray 85% of the year - so the color helps with visibility a bit. And I've always been impressed that MAS props are a bit quieter than DJI's stock props.
Edit: I was on this forum when the Phantom 1 was the only drone to talk about - and we were soaking the white props in RIT dye to color them! Just remembered that. I bought a lot of aftermarket props for the P1, they all resulted in crashes. MAS has been the only trusted after market prop I've ever encountered. They've been making RC props since 1976.

Last edited:
Reactions: timinator
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929