DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji RC and Mavic 3 - Soon to be working together

This remote has built-in antennae and I think that's a bad design choice. There are already some people reporting that its signal strength is not as good as that of RC-N1 or RC Pro. I was waiting for a remote like this, but not on the expense of signal strength.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
This remote has built-in antennae and I think that's a bad design choice. There are already some people reporting that its signal strength is not as good as that of RC-N1 or RC Pro. I was waiting for a remote like this, but not on the expense of signal strength.
And some people report zero issues. I run out of electrons before I run out of feet with the DJI RC. Yes my RC Pro has more power, but I wouldn't listen too much to all the hype regarding lack of range. /$.02

And some people report zero issues. I run out of electrons before I run out of feet with the DJI RC. Yes my RC Pro has more power, but I wouldn't listen too much to all the hype regarding lack of range. /$.02
I'm just saying that built-in antennae is not a good design choice with respect to signal strength. I do not "listen to the hype", but if signal strength is not as good, I would not be surprised. That's why I will wait for more people to use it and share their findings. If there are any such issues we will most probably read about them somewhere.

Reactions: KLRSKIR
I'm just saying that built-in antennae is not a good design choice with respect to signal strength. I do not "listen to the hype", but if signal strength is not as good, I would not be surprised. That's why I will wait for more people to use it and share their findings. If there are any such issues we will most probably read about them somewhere.
I think that the real problem lies in the fact that the software is switching between FCC and CE without the pilots' knowledge. It's clearly documented all over the interwebs. Once DJI gets that sorted, I think we'll all be on the same page.

I specifically went out to a very rural area when I first got the aircraft to see if I too had "the issue." It was abundantly clear I did not. DJI will deliver a fix.

The more relevant compatibility will be making the RC Pro compatible with the Mini 3 Pro. RC Pro has far more buttons than the DJI RC, for keeping your hands on the sticks with the Mavic 3, while accessing menu items otherwise requiring screen touches and menu digging. It also has external antennas, a much brighter screen for those that need it, and it immediately connects to a saved phone hotspot.

DJI RC admittedly adds the essential missing second scroll wheel needed on the RC-N1 for simultaneous zoom and gimbal control, and adds a C1 and C2 button, but no Back button, no C3 button, and no 5 way button, and no mini HDMI out port. Cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Lets factor in also that besides range differences, the inner engine of the RC Pro is superior to the new controller, I found this a problem when going back to my Smart Controller and noticed the lag when running different software, slow response compared to the speed of the RC Pro which delivers in every department as far as I'm concerned, and the on screen display quality at HD 60fps is a sight to behold, just compare the two controller on screen recordings and you see a huge difference in quality. If it is down to available funds to purchase either and you are stretched for cash then yes I can see the logic in going for the cheaper option, but other than that no way would I consider buying the new Mini 3 RC Pro, it looks the part but doesn't tick the boxes as far as I'm concerned, CE pwr levels are low enough as it is without being hindered by internal antennas being covered partly by big clumsy sweaty fingers.

Also lets not forget that with the FCC Vs CE power output levels the RC Pro puts out 5 times more power at 2.4Ghz and almost 80 times more power at 5.8Ghz than the Mini 3 RC Pro coupled with real external adjustable antennas that will have more unhindered sensitivity due to this then it tips the balance in high interference flying areas full stop. One final bonus is that due to the above output levels, in Winter the RC Pro has a nice added effect of keeping your fingers warmer as well, noticed this one very cold day in February when flying my Mavic 3.

Last edited:
The antennae are fixed (as in you are unable to adjust them and the app still gives the DUMB DEFAULT WARNING!) and in their effort to overcome this they thought it would be clever to have part of the signal facing the operator...Go figure!

Last edited:
It seems that the Dji RC for Mini 3 Pro will soon be made to work with the Mavic 3 with an upcoming update. For those that have the RC N1 and Mavic 3, will you be buying the Dji RC as well?

View attachment 150952

In my opinion, it would make more sense to make the mini 3 compatibles with the RC Pro of the Mavic 3. There is an option to buy the Mini 3 without a controller and I initially thought that was the case until I looked up the compatibility with Mavic 3 RC Pro. Though there is a remark that more compatible devices may come at a future date and check back.

At one point I anticipated the RC Pro working with other drones, including the rumored Mini 3. I bought an RC Pro, and I've learned my lesson--never trust DJI lol. If the Mini 3 is sold by itself and works with the RC Pro someday down the line, I'll probably buy one. Won't be touching a new Mini 3 otherwise, and given the lower signal strength and screen brightness, I wouldn't buy an RC either.

Let's say I bought my Mavic 3 piece by piece, and I wanted to save money. I might consider the RC for the savings, but doing so continues the point we all thought in the first place: the RCN1 is not the "right" controller for the flagship beast that is the M3. I'd still find the RC lacking, and not squeezing out the M3s full potential. The RC Pro is made for the M3, as others have said.

Reactions: Richard R
No. I don't want internal antenna, less brightness, no O3+, and no other android apps.

What I really want to be able to use is the RC plus with the mavic.

Available as a separate purchase, for the price they charge M3 it should really be standard. I get same range on DJI Mini 3 with DJI RC as I do with Mavic 3 and RC-N1, just mindful of keeping the RC pointing to the drone. Curious to see if it offers quick-switch to different drones as the Smart Controller did. Without it would be very inconvenient.

Reactions: Iczeman
It seems that the Dji RC for Mini 3 Pro will soon be made to work with the Mavic 3 with an upcoming update. For those that have the RC N1 and Mavic 3, will you be buying the Dji RC as well?

View attachment 150952

I can confirm that DJI RC now works with Mavic 3. I upgraded the firmware and app on the controller, which in turn updated my Mavic 3. Interestingly, the message about binding the drone popped out (see screenshot attached), allowing me to fly five times only with Mavic 3 unless I agree to bind it permanently. I am yet to try whether going back to Mini 3 would require unbinding with the larger drone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220701-084212.png
    Screenshot_20220701-084212.png
    868.5 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: ssvdh66
I can confirm that DJI RC now works with Mavic 3. I upgraded the firmware and app on the controller, which in turn updated my Mavic 3. Interestingly, the message about binding the drone popped out (see screenshot attached), allowing me to fly five times only with Mavic 3 unless I agree to bind it permanently. I am yet to try whether going back to Mini 3 would require unbinding with the larger drone.
Yes, switching between drones on the RC Pro and the DJI RC requires the binding and unbinding from the same pop up screen each time, or you can connect up to 5 times without changing the binding, which is supposed to relate to the DJI Care "Flyaway" coverage.

Attachments

• 765D10A1-99CF-468B-936C-820D11486351.png
    765D10A1-99CF-468B-936C-820D11486351.png
    868.5 KB · Views: 5
No. I don't want internal antenna, less brightness, no O3+, and no other android apps.

What I really want to be able to use is the RC plus with the mavic.
When used with drones that support O3+ transmission, like DJI Mavic 3, [1] DJI RC can provide low-latency HD 1080p/60fps live feeds with a max transmission range of 15 km [2] for smoother control and safer flight.

When used with drones that support O3+ transmission, like DJI Mavic 3, [1] DJI RC can provide low-latency HD 1080p/60fps live feeds with a max transmission range of 15 km [2] for smoother control and safer flight.
You misunderstand.
We want the $1200 RC Pro to be made compatible with the newest Mini 3 Pro.

Reactions: UAVquadman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky