DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI RC Harness/Lanyard Bracket

langcpht

Reactions
I've created a new bracket/adapter for the 'standard' DJI RC controller in much the same style that I have for DJI's other screen controllers. With the help of a friendly forum member @klaario , who kindly loaned me a controller for a week, I designed and 3D-printed a new bracket. The bracket is meant to hold a 2-point lanyard, camera strap, or a single-point wrist strap on either side. It attaches at the bottom using M4 screws and has cutouts to accommodate the ports and the goofy flap. Like my other brackets it's made from a high-modulus carbon fiber reinforced plastic that is plenty strong (the controller weighs less than a pound). The hooks were designed to hold Peak Design "Anchors", but other people have used my brackets with small split-rings.

You can get one here on eBay for $10 plus shipping. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have and hopefully there's some interest out there. I wish I could have made this sooner, but I never intended to buy this particular controller.

IMG_4316 (Medium).jpg

Reactions: John G.

I use the lanyard available on Amazon with the description below and it suits me well. I use a case from Sunnylife for the controller and with the screwed in eyelets it still fits snug.

"StartRC Lanyard-Neck Strap for the DJI RC Controller"​

Looks cool, but I simply attacked a couple of d rings directly to the M4 tapped holes to attach a strap. Why the need for an intermediate gizmo?
Torsional stresses on the bolts/d-rings, mostly. I used to have a neck strap for my camera that used a single loop point and a D-ring-style attachment point. Over time it would loosen, usually not enough to be catastrophic, but it made me concerned with thousands of dollars holding onto one screw.

This bracket eliminates that concern for me. The stresses are no longer on the screws and screw holes but are spread evenly across the bracket and on the loops themselves. I suppose I could have used lock washers or something similar, but this works well for me. Plus I like the look better. And I own a 3D printer, so why not use it instead of spending more money than necessary?

There are many solutions for the screw holes on these controllers.
I tried to keep it simple but can’t compete with the 3D stuff. He does do good work.27AA9EC1-2C2A-4EAF-8E8D-A7A9A115A84A.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: JeffreyS
There are many solutions for the screw holes on these controllers.
I tried to keep it simple but can’t compete with the 3D stuff. He does do good work.
Thanks! :) I like the simplicity of your eyelet screws a lot. I'd actually use them myself if I didn't have a fear of the screws loosening up. I guess threadlock or some lock-washers would solve that though. I'm just surprised that DJI hasn't made their own first-party accessory.

if I didn't have a fear of the screws loosening up
I’ve shipped these to several different continents and not seen or heard of that kind of issue. I use a small rubber o-ring between the screw and controller and twist them in until snug. I wanted something other than loctite to make the screw secure enough to stay put.

Thanks! :) I like the simplicity of your eyelet screws a lot. I'd actually use them myself if I didn't have a fear of the screws loosening up. I guess threadlock or some lock-washers would solve that though. I'm just surprised that DJI hasn't made their own first-party accessory.
See post #3 above for the complete off the shelf solution to your concern.
It uses silicone rubber washer rings, and the triangular attachment points fold flat so that the RC Pro still fits properly in any precut molded case. Plastic quick release clips also stay attached during storage, with or without the strap attached.

Reactions: Filmarik
See post #3 above for the complete off the shelf solution to your concern.
It uses silicone rubber washer rings, and the triangular attachment points fold flat so that the RC Pro still fits properly in any precut molded case. Plastic quick release clips also stay attached during storage, with or without the strap attached.
It sure looks like a nicely made product. Though the attachments would NOT fit into my PGYTECH case with precut shape for RCPro. Nothing what could not be easily solved with a stanley knife though. To me the RCPro is not heavy and lanyard to me is not really needed. In any case it is good to know that such nicely made product is available.

Attachments

• 20230404_142035.jpg
    20230404_142035.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
It sure looks like a nicely done product. Though the attachments would NOT fit into my PGYTECH case with precut shape for RCPro. Nothing what could not be easily solved with a stanley knife though. To me the RCPro is not heavy and lanyard to me is not really needed. In any case it is good to know that such nicely made product is available.
It is a great product. The screwed in triangle holders fold flat and still easily fit into my own waterjet cut case, which is very similar to yours, making a nice snug fit. If you find it too snug, you can easily make a small cutout for each folded down metal triangle. I don‘t use the neckstrap because of weight. I only use it to free both hands while opening up the drone arms and turning on the battery in the field, leaving the RC Pro suspended, hanging straight down off my neck, and also as a safety strap, while holding the RC Pro in one hand and the drone in the other while walking, in case I trip or fall on uneven ground.

Reactions: JeffreyS
It is a great product. The screwed in triangle holders fold flat and still easily fit into my own waterjet cut case, which is very similar to yours, making a nice snug fit. If you find it too snug, you can easily make a small cutout for each folded down metal triangle. I don‘t use the neckstrap because of weight. I only use it to free both hands while opening up the drone arms and turning on the battery in the field, leaving the RC Pro suspended, hanging straight down off my neck, and also as a safety strap, while holding the RC Pro in one hand and the drone in the other while walking, in case I trip or fall on uneven ground.
Where do you put the neck strap when not attached? Do you have a cutout for it in your case? Would it fit into one of the battery compartments? Your argument for having this product is sound and convincing so I might consider buying it 🤨

Torsional stresses on the bolts/d-rings, mostly. I used to have a neck strap for my camera that used a single loop point and a D-ring-style attachment point. Over time it would loosen, usually not enough to be catastrophic, but it made me concerned with thousands of dollars holding onto one screw.

This bracket eliminates that concern for me. The stresses are no longer on the screws and screw holes but are spread evenly across the bracket and on the loops themselves. I suppose I could have used lock washers or something similar, but this works well for me. Plus I like the look better. And I own a 3D printer, so why not use it instead of spending more money than necessary?
It's just unnecessary hardware. Stress? The controller only weighs about a half pound! And the screws I use to attach my d-rings are about 10mm long. They will never fall out, even if loosened.

Last edited:
Where do you put the neck strap when not attached? Do you have a cutout for it in your case? Would it fit into one of the battery compartments? Your argument for having this product is sound and convincing so I might consider buying it 🤨
I actually always keep the neck strap attached, and just set it on top of the RC Pro in the case, folded in such a manner to keep it within the cutout for the RC Pro, and then just gently pull on the neck strap to remove the snugly secured RC Pro below it. It won’t stop the top from closing, and won’t scratch the RC Pro screen. However, if you want to unclip the neck strap, it folds nicely anywhere else in the case.

Reactions: Filmarik
We’re loving the bracket/adaptor that @langcpht designed. It blends right in with the original DJI RC colour and shape. Nice to not have to worry about any accidental drops. And, it makes take-off and landing in the hand much less ackward.

Well done, @langcpht!

Thumbswayup

Reactions: langcpht
Despite the ebay listing stating that the RC and RC Pro have different sized screw holes, they are the same.

Despite the ebay listing stating that the RC and RC Pro have different sized screw holes, they are the same.
I think the RC has slightly more 'shallow' holes than the RC Pro. The thread and pitch are the same (M4), but using a 12mm screw I couldn't get it fully tighten down before it bottomed out. Using a 10mm screw cinched up just fine (using my bracket).

I think the RC has slightly more 'shallow' holes than the RC Pro. The thread and pitch are the same (M4), but using a 12mm screw I couldn't get it fully tighten down before it bottomed out. Using a 10mm screw cinched up just fine (using my bracket).
Then I stand corrected. I only tried the threads for comparison, but I didn't fully try to screw the screws all the way in, while trying to use the lanyard I use on my RC Pro, which is in post #3 above, on the DJI RC, to see if it would fit. I guess length does matter! LOL!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weblloyd