DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dji RC or Ipad mini 6???

ANT0407

Reactions
I've been tossing around the idea of replacing my RCN1 controller and iPad mini 6 with the new Dji Rc with the built in screen(when it becomes compatible with the Air 2s). I'm torn because I do like the larger screen on the ipad but the convenience of the built in screen is appealing as well. Does anyone have any thoughts ???

I've been tossing around the idea of replacing my RCN1 controller and iPad mini 6 with the new Dji Rc with the built in screen(when it becomes compatible with the Air 2s). I'm torn because I do like the larger screen on the ipad but the convenience of the built in screen is appealing as well. Does anyone have any thoughts ???
I mostly use the original Smart Controller, sometimes along with a 2200nit 7 inch monitor connected by HDMI. But my ageing eyes could really do with something bigger. Although it isn’t a bright as the SC or Feelworld monitor combo, I could be tempted to trade both in and buy the latest iPad Air with its huge screen. Alternatively, Thor’s Droneworld (LifThor) is now selling a very bright larger monitor that would work with the SC or RC Pro, both of which have HDMI.

Reactions: ANT0407
I have and use both. The DJI RC definitely wins on convenience and portability vs. a tablet on an RC-N1.

The DJI RC seems more directional and if I don't pay attention to that I sometimes get a significant drop in signal strength.

The other issue I've had with the DJI RC is the controller puts up a message saying WiFi and Bluetooth are automatically disabled after takeoff. I wanted WiFi on because I didn't have maps cached before takeoff, so I turned WiFi back on while the drone was in the air less than 100' from me. The drone immediately lost signal and initiated return to home. With an iPad + RC-N1 I've left the iPad WiFi enabled and tethered to my phone during flights and not had any issues with lost signal.

i have both and i dont know. rc-n1 with mini 6, im not happy with that.. The image is so laggy ? or is there some kind of problem with this fly app and ios 16.6? i have mini 3 drone. much easyer to fly with rc.

I use a iPad mini 6 and find it very sufficient for me. I like having the bigger screen, and a multipurpose screen. I can use the iPad mini for other things then just a controller. I find that I can see the screen at all angles and have never had problems with overheating. I am for one a vote for the iPad

Reactions: Stach
Is the iPad Mini 6 the latest version? That might be a nice option for my as I believe an iPad Air would be too big to fit, correct? I take it the iPad mini fits on basic Air 2S controller? I currently use my iPad Air for a navigation program called Gaia.

I take it the iPad mini fits on basic Air 2S controller?

No.

You'll need a cheap adapter similar to this to accommodate the mini iPad.

I used a similar one with my Apple mini4 before I purchased a Tripltek tablet.

The stock DJI cable worked with the adapter I purchased.

Check the size of the mini 6 to the mini 4 to be sure.

Other adapters are available that require a mount and / or an extended cable if you go bigger.

Have fun researching. 👍

Reactions: tls3601
Nice. This is good to know👍

Reactions: MA2 317
Depending on when you need a mini, Apple may be coming out with a new model(mini 7). September is usually when they announce new phones, watches and other things. Some are suggesting a new Ipad mini is in the works. I have seen some mini 6 on sale here and there and if so, it might be a good time to pick up the mini 6 if you don’t want to wait. It could be held off until 2024, although it has been two years since it’s last refresh.

Reactions: tls3601
I use this Amazon.com holder to hold my iPad mini 6. It works great for holding it. I don't ever worry about it coming out of the holder. I also picked up a cable that was a little bit longer. The reason for this is the cable that comes with the drone isn't quite long enough to reach the iPad. This is the cable that I use Amazon.com . I chose this cable because it is a high quality cable and fast data transfer. So this combination should set you up.

Depending on when you need a mini, Apple may be coming out with a new model(mini 7). September is usually when they announce new phones, watches and other things. Some are suggesting a new Ipad mini is in the works. I have seen some mini 6 on sale here and there and if so, it might be a good time to pick up the mini 6 if you don’t want to wait. It could be held off until 2024, although it has been two years since it’s last refresh.
After using a Tripltek tablet with sustained brightness I would never use any of the ipads
for the very reason of a screen brightness that can't be sustained because of overheating issues.

Reactions: RobW01
After using a Tripltek tablet with sustained brightness I would never use any of the ipads
for the very reason of a screen brightness that can't be sustained because of overheating issues.
From what I’ve read, the Tripltek 9 is indeed a great tablet—and not a bad phone, either. But if you really want ‘bright’ check out a Feelworld 7inch 2200 nits field monitor (or the bigger 26nits model). I used to use my 12.9inch iPad Pro with a home-made ‘hood’ connected via HDMI to my original DJI smart controller UNTIL i got the Feelworld.

From what I’ve read, the Tripltek 9 is indeed a great tablet—and not a bad phone, either. But if you really want ‘bright’ check out a Feelworld 7inch 2200 nits field monitor (or the bigger 26nits model). I used to use my 12.9inch iPad Pro with a home-made ‘hood’ connected via HDMI to my original DJI smart controller UNTIL i got the Feelworld.
But is the feelworld just a monitor,and not a tablet that you can load the fly app and other apps on.
i am using the RC-N1 controller.

But is the feelworld just a monitor,and not a tablet that you can load the fly app and other apps on.
i am using the RC-N1 controller.
As I said, I connect it to the controller via HDMI. Result: very bright and larger screen with no lag.

The relatively low screen brightness (500 nits) on my iPad Mini 6 is an issue. It has also overheated on a couple of occasions. But otherwise, it's a great tablet for this application.

Is the iPad Mini 6 the latest version? That might be a nice option for my as I believe an iPad Air would be too big to fit, correct? I take it the iPad mini fits on basic Air 2S controller? I currently use my iPad Air for a navigation program called Gaia.
Yes I am also using my iPad Air to navigate with Gaia. RC Pro controller or wait for the new iPad mini?? I just don’t want to give up how well my Air 2S flies with controller it came with.

i have both and i dont know. rc-n1 with mini 6, im not happy with that.. The image is so laggy ? or is there some kind of problem with this fly app and ios 16.6? i have mini 3 drone. much easyer to fly with rc.
Currently I use ipad mini 5 with no issues

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv