DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI RC Pro vs DC RC 2?

Paul Stocum

Reactions
I have the older RC Pro for my 2s. But see the RC 2 that can be purchased for $369 separately. What is the difference between the original Pro, the current pro and the 2? What are you getting for 3x the $$?

If you're still flying the Air 2S, the RC 2 is not currently compatible with it. So you're stuck with either the RC-N1, RC, or RC Pro. So I just saved you $369, you're welcome. :D

RC 2 vs RC Pro:
RC 2 is O4, 720p recordings, 4 hour battery life, fairly light, dji fly only
RC Pro is 03+, 1080p recordings, 3 hour battery life, heavy, side load apps capable.

I think both are great. Can't say the RC Pro is worth the extra money unless you need HDMI out and the ability to side load apps.

I have the older RC Pro for my 2s...What is the difference between the original Pro, the current pro and the 2?
It's a bit unclear what you actually have for your MA2s... you say the "older RC Pro", but suspect you have the discontinued Smart Controller (SC).

As said in earlier posts, the MA2s isn't compatible with all RC's out on the market today, this depending on different used transmission protocols... for time being you can forget all about RC's that ends with a "2" for a MA2s.

The only upgrade you can chose... if you today have the discontinued SC, is the RC Pro which compared to the SC is much more powerful processor wise, meaning in the end a more stabile system overall with less risk for app restarts during flights... but if you don't have any problems with your SC flying a MA2s today, it's a lot of $$$ to upgrade for a potential similar user experience.

Here a rather true compatibility chart over drone models & RC's today...

1701039424024.png

Sometimes that is the price of improving technology, but backwards compatibility would sure be nice! Thank you for the chart. Can't wait for the new controller for the Mavic 4.

If you're still flying the Air 2S, the RC 2 is not currently compatible with it. So you're stuck with either the RC-N1, RC, or RC Pro. So I just saved you $369, you're welcome. :D

RC 2 vs RC Pro:
RC 2 is O4, 720p recordings, 4 hour battery life, fairly light, dji fly only
RC Pro is 03+, 1080p recordings, 3 hour battery life, heavy, side load apps capable.

I think both are great. Can't say the RC Pro is worth the extra money unless you need HDMI out and the ability to side load apps.
I have the smart controller for my 2s and 2. Looking to buy the Air 3 (would love the Mavic Pro 3, but not in the budget) with the RC 2. Curious if the extra dosh would be worth the pro. I'm thinking not at this time.

It's a bit unclear what you actually have for your MA2s... you say the "older RC Pro", but suspect you have the discontinued Smart Controller (SC).

As said in earlier posts, the MA2s isn't compatible with all RC's out on the market today, this depending on different used transmission protocols... for time being you can forget all about RC's that ends with a "2" for a MA2s.

The only upgrade you can chose... if you today have the discontinued SC, is the RC Pro which compared to the SC is much more powerful processor wise, meaning in the end a more stabile system overall with less risk for app restarts during flights... but if you don't have any problems with your SC flying a MA2s today, it's a lot of $$$ to upgrade for a potential similar user experience.

Here a rather true compatibility chart over drone models & RC's today...

View attachment 170577
I have the Smart Controller. Wondering about the RC2 for an Air 3 purchase in the near future.

So the question would be the difference in the Smart Controller and the RC2.

I have the Smart Controller. Wondering about the RC2 for an Air 3 purchase in the near future.

So the question would be the difference in the Smart Controller and the RC2.
You can't use your present SC together with the Air 3... so it's nothing in real life to compare I'm afraid.

Hypothetically speaking, the RC2 is very likely a much more reliable RC solution for an Air 3 compared to the RC/drone setup you have today. The SC you have now was really outdated when it was made compatible with the MA2s & forced to handle the DJI Fly app, as this app is much more demanding than the older DJI GO4 app which was the main app for DJI drones when the SC was released... it's only so much you can do with SW upgrades when the HW starts to get underpowered.

For an Air 3 the RC needs to be either the DJI RC-N2 (without screen) or the DJI RC2 (with screen). So all boils down to if you want a builtin screen or if you're willing to use another device (phone/tablet) as a screen. If you go through the specs thoroughly for the 2 only compatible RC's (below) you might find some extra HW buttons on the RC2 also.

1701118922818.png
1701118946883.png

Last edited:
I have the smart controller for my 2s and 2. Looking to buy the Air 3 (would love the Mavic Pro 3, but not in the budget) with the RC 2. Curious if the extra dosh would be worth the pro. I'm thinking not at this time.
I own both. The Air 3 is phenomenal honestly. I don't think it's worth the price difference unless you're really trying to squeak out every last bit of quality that you can. Even then... it's a big pill to swallow. I bought it for the 7x lens, that's it!

Take note if you are require 1080p live streaming. The RC2 will only transmit at 720 while the RCN2 can do 720 and 1080p.

Perhaps DJI will enable 1080p on the RC2 with a firmware update? Extremely frustrating to purchase the more expensive controller and discover this limitation.

ChampFlyer, You are incorrect, the RC2 does both 720p and 1080p, it depends on the signal strength. I own the RC2 and is why I did not get the pro, because the pro is the one that only does 720. A simple look on DJI's website will show this as well.​

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13