DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Recommends Flying With The Bubble

Just another thought... Besides protecting from rain, debris, etc. wouldn't the bubble also shield the camera from shifts in wind and help create a more stable camera?

Would it not also protect the gimbal/camera when taking off/landing in grass or unlovely surfaces?

Does anyone have comparative pictures with and without the bubble?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Good points. Although, I did take my Mavic out yesterday and flew in some fairly gusty wind without the bubble, and the video was rock-solid.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

I would simply consider the flying environment (including landing/takeoff areas). I bet the bubble increases aerodynamics at the risk of increasing operating temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Gimbal Cover/Bubble confirmation from DJI Support.
I sent an email into support at DJI asking about the "bubble" and whether or not we can/should fly with it attached:

"Dear John,

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.

With your concern, when you are preparing for flying, the gimbal clamp should be removed, but if you are referring for the Camera bubble cover, we best recommend not to remove it since that will serve as a protection for the camera from water sprinkle, dust, and other objects that may hit the camera in any case during flying.

Hope this will help and thank you for your time.

If you have any other inquiry in the future please feel free to contact us back anytime and we will be more than happy to assist you with your concern.

Have a wonderful day ahead.

Best Regards,

Myra

DJI NA TECHNICAL SUPPORT"
No one should fly with the cheap plastic cover except for perhaps practice flying.
It is cheap plastic with no optical qualities at all. All video and still footage will be awful.

Go watch the release video on their website, in several instances they show the drone being flown without the globe/bubble. Use common sense when flying without it and consider your surroundings. I fly mine with it off 99% of the time.

You often see people landing in longish grass or softer ground and that must be quite risky for it without it on,
I can't see it helping much if your really hit something - it will just break or pop off.

Hmmm, I would take that advice with a pinch of salt. DJI Support (unfortunately) is not renowned for giving out the the best information, there are numerous examples in this forum alone. For example, any issue they tell you to calibrate the IMU or send it in for repair. Whilst it is probably good practice to keep it on if you are new to drones, if you want any decent footage out of it, take it off. With the time of year (Northern Hemisphere) and the weather being cold there is no issue with keeping it on with regards to heat however I feel it may be a different story when it is 30+ Centigrade out there with little to no wind. I only flew with mine on for 2 minutes the first time I launched it, not been on for flight since.
It's not just DJI support. It was designed for the bubble and nearly every promotional video shows it on. I personally don't use it, but I'm not ruling it out in certain conditions.

For the Mavic, I always have a landing pad with me. I used an older light reflector I have from photography as my landing pad

Last edited:
Flew with the bubble and I can tell it increased the temp. Lil bird was oven hot when I picked her up, I foresee a new cover being manufactured to allow airflow and still have great vids/pics. For a small fee. Of course [emoji849][emoji58]

Sent from [emoji211]

It is in every DJI video so not a huge surprise, personally to avoid the lens flare and optical issues I won't be flying with it on though.

My P3P never had any issues with dirt/dust so figure it will be fine.

I guess it would be fine to have it on during overcast days. But like everyone, i am worried about maximum air flow.

It's not just DJI support. It was designed for the bubble and nearly every promotional video shows it on. I personally don't use it, but I'm not ruling it out in certain conditions.
Yeah I know, however this does not take away the fact that your footage will be effected with it in place. I would also be cautious if it is really hot outside, not saying it will be an issue just to be cautious.

I think the camera is so small in the Mavic it can get blown around a little when traveling faster going or through higher winds. But the bubble is going to add reflection or glare in your photos no matter which way you look at it. I would recommend keeping it off. You're going to want that great picture and all the sudden it will be ruined because of glare.

Peter

I think the camera is so small in the Mavic it can get blown around a little when traveling faster going or through higher winds. But the bubble is going to add reflection or glare in your photos no matter which way you look at it. I would recommend keeping it off. You're going to want that great picture and all the sudden it will be ruined because of glare.

Peter

I watched a test video, and did really well with it on, except when the sun was in view

I watched a test video, and did really well with it on, except when the sun was in view

Did you watch it in full resolution on a 4k screen? Even without the sun the image difference is noticeable. It really depends on what your priorities are, protecting the gimbal/camera or getting the best footage. That is all it boils down to. :)

In DJI "how to fly" video the cover is off......I going to send and email to someone I know at DJI, and see if he can get a definitive answer

Again, it is an optional piece of protection and is easily removed, yet stays firm when flying. Sounds like it was designed to fly, or not. Bubble On: Gonna fly for fun, No known photo-ops, yes, you must plan ahead sorry for the pain. Bubble Off: I Got Great scenery to capture, better fly smart so I don't break it. I mean, really, do we want an Auto Flying Tesla Mavic that takes perfect photos and flies flawlessly? Boring. Enjoy the Editing, I guess. I love controlling vehicles with some required skills. I don't want a chauffeur. Flying a quad facing you and you learn to think backwards... Master that, and pilot errors will diminish. You want a great drone for filming? PH4 Pro, not Mavic. The battle was with the Karma, the Mavic was not intended to replace any multi rotor, let alone their flagship products The Inspire and The Phantom. Mavic Pro, Convenience Drone.

Reactions: halley
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki