DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI refresh care

Eagle430

Reactions
I recently bought a Mavic 3 drone, I havent activated it yet. I used to own a Mavic 2 pro , I ve done a couple of paid jobs , I am a cautious pilot, never fly over water , always assess the area before flying etc. Lucky for me I didn't had any bad moments with my Mavic 2 during my 2 years of flying it.

i am trying to decide if a dji refresh care plan is worth buying it? Also I didn't understand if for any minor damage to the drone I still have to pay for repairs?

Another question, the Mavic 2 controller had an issue with the usb charging cable, if you was not careful and put it the wrong way it wouldn't charge and a lot of people broke it including me :)
is the Mavic 3 controller having the same issue ?

The choice to buy Care Refresh is a simple gamble. You are betting on disaster, on needing it, DJI is betting you won't. Statistics are on DJI's side, and they know how to price it to make a profit. For example, for Mini 3 Pro, it's a mere $79. Not too much of a hit. Mavic 3, at $239 (in the US) is a good chunk of cash. I tend to look at in inversely. For the less expensive drone, I could replace with less pain, but a Mavic 3 Aircraft only replacement is around $1600 bucks. Plus, for a Flyaway where you blundered and could not prove a defect caused it, there is no warranty replacement.
Final thought. If you buy DJI Care Refresh and have no claims over the year, they give you a full second year warranty. All considerations, though I imagine I haven't help much. I can only speak for myself. I tend to buy it the first year. By that time I trust it (and myself) more, and worry less due to depreciation. I might pass in year 2.

As to the controller, charging is done via USB-C. Since it is reversible, and really durable, I doubt the issue you mentioned would be a concern.

Fly safe, Fly Free. Otherwise, get the Care Refresh. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I wouldn't call it a gamble. Insurance by its very nature is something one needs in the event of a tragedy. However, no one likes to pay for it. I have always said this about insurance (and DJI Care Refresh), I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I wouldn't call it a gamble. Insurance by its very nature is something one needs in the event of a tragedy. However, no one likes to pay for it. I have always said this about insurance (and DJI Care Refresh), I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
I have often said this about Insurance; an unusual service where market demand is created by exploiting fear and uncertainty, simultaneously offering to reduce or eliminate fear and uncertainty for a fee.

I have often said this about Insurance; an unusual service where market demand is created by exploiting fear and uncertainty, simultaneously offering to reduce or eliminate fear and uncertainty for a fee.
And I'll say this about insurance: it's only when you have a claim that you find out how worthless the insurance is that you bought! The devil is always in the fine print of the policy details. With auto insurance, they repair your vehicle with Like Kind and Quality (LKQ) parts, which are used parts, stripped off another crashed vehicle, and require you/your body shop to buy them to prove they are not acceptable! They also won't cover diminished value after repair with used parts! Loss of use is also not covered unless you paid for rental car coverage. If they total your vehicle, they will use comparables that are in no way equivalent, and then make ridiculous adjustments for the differences. Lose, Lose!

That being said, DJI Refresh is far better than my Allstate Auto Insurance, soon to be replaced by USAA! I buy Refresh for the first year on more expensive aircraft. The camera gimbals are fragile and most likely to need replacement in a hard landing! I self-insure on all the Mini drones.

Last edited:
I recently bought a Mavic 3 drone, I havent activated it yet. I used to own a Mavic 2 pro , I ve done a couple of paid jobs , I am a cautious pilot, never fly over water , always assess the area before flying etc. Lucky for me I didn't had any bad moments with my Mavic 2 during my 2 years of flying it.

i am trying to decide if a dji refresh care plan is worth buying it? Also I didn't understand if for any minor damage to the drone I still have to pay for repairs?

Another question, the Mavic 2 controller had an issue with the usb charging cable, if you was not careful and put it the wrong way it wouldn't charge and a lot of people broke it including me :)
is the Mavic 3 controller having the same issue ?
Insurance is always a gamble and a percentage game which the insurance companies usually win. Still, I have never regretted purchasing the Care Refresh for my Mavis Air 1, Mavic Mini 1, Mavic 2 Pro, and Mavic 3. I only have the M3 for now. I am glad it is insured.

Reactions: FlySkyJumper
And I'll say this about insurance: it's only when you have a claim that you find out how worthless the insurance is that you bought! The devil is always in the fine print of the policy details. With auto insurance, they repair your vehicle with Like Kind and Quality (LKQ) parts, which are used parts, stripped off another crashed vehicle, and require you/your body shop to buy them to prove they are not acceptable! They also won't cover diminished value after repair with used parts! Loss of use is also not covered unless you paid for rental car coverage. If they total your vehicle, they will use comparables that are in no way equivalent, and then make ridiculous adjustments for the differences. Lose, Lose!

That being said, DJI Refresh is far better than my Allstate Auto Insurance, soon to be replaced by USAA! I buy Refresh for the first year on more expensive aircraft. The camera gimbals are fragile and most likely to need replacement in a hard landing! I self-insure on all the Mini drones.
Is USAA offering drone insurance or are you replacing Allstate auto insurance? Thanks

Is USAA offering drone insurance or are you replacing Allstate auto insurance? Thanks
I've had USAA for over 50 years. The drone is considered under your personal property insurance.
Dale
Miami

I purchased it for my Mavic 3 and also added it to my insurance policy with the rest of my camera gear. I do take good care of my drone and am a cautious flyer but I do not have absolute confidence in my ability as a pilot as I learn and explore the drone’s capabilities more. It’s also nice the plans cover sending it in to DJI annually for inspection.

Reactions: danwnz
I purchased it straight up, primary reason can't afford to replace it any time soon. This also has allowed me as a new pilot to not to be too scared of flying the drone over the ocean, over huge gorges... Therefore getting some spectacular results, so in my opinion well worth that peace of mind

Last edited:
My first drone is the M2P and I didnt have insurance. I was so afraid to fly far and over water.

Now I have the M3 and I get the 2 yr insurance for $399. I hope if I dont have to use it, I get another year free.

Now I fly everywhere, up to 4.7 miles away and to the lakes/oceans. If you cant recover your drone and its your mistake, it is $700 to replace, better than $2k. I only live once. So its OK.

My first drone is the M2P and I didnt have insurance. I was so afraid to fly far and over water.

Now I have the M3 and I get the 2 yr insurance for $399. I hope if I dont have to use it, I get another year free.

Now I fly everywhere, up to 4.7 miles away and to the lakes/oceans. If you cant recover your drone and its your mistake, it is $700 to replace, better than $2k. I only live once. So its OK.
Agreed 1000%/

The latter! Just joined USAA. Be nice if they also offered drone insurance. Maybe under a personal articles policy with their homeowners policies?

At
The latter! Just joined USAA. Be nice if they also offered drone insurance. Maybe under a personal articles policy with their homeowners policies?
I’ve been with USAA since 1979 (Army Medical Corps) and have all insurance with them. They have provided excellent service. They do insure cameras under personal articles. As a long time photographer I have several cameras insured with them for very low annual costs. My only use of my Mavic 3 IS the camera.

Here's a thought that may help. With Care Refresh(first hand experience), you go to the website, open a case with all the pertinent information. DJI issues a case number. They e-mail a confirmation and shipping label(for a crashed drone). You box up the remains, send it in and a few days later receive a new drone that has already been bound to your account, all you have to do is link to the controller.
With insurance, you file a claim with all necessary evidence. After a period of time(differs with provider) and possible more questions, you receive a check. You order a new drone, and if drone only option is not available you pay the difference, maybe. Then you wait for a few days or weeks for delivery. Then you must add it to your DJI account and activate it.
The choice is yours.

Anyone that can speak for the differences between Refresh and Refresh+?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus