DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI releases

flydronefly

Reactions
I'm not complaining because DJI always makes great products, but the company has a much wider range of stuff being sold like gimbals, actions cameras, and drones - and their schedule of launching products as well as the improvements made on these product each and every year can be a bit controversial. The OM5 was released a year after the OM4, while everyone is clamoring for a Mavic 3 or a Phantom 5. A lot of people have also been asking for a Osmo Action 2, but no news as of yet about a release.

So in order for people not to question incremental upgrades or why a certain product is not released before another, why don't DJI just have a regular schedule for a new product's release? That would ensure enough R & D for an awesome product especially if the existing version is still good. The Mini 2 is future proof for at least another year so why don't Minis be released every two years? They don't have to follow Apple or Samsung that release products every year.

This will help customers happy as they will still have the latest products after more than a year, and they would no longer speculate about what products will be released each time DJI releases a new teaser.

I own a Mini 2, Air 2S, Osmo Action, and OM4 (though tempted to get the OM5), and aside from the Action I'm not keen on any new products to be released nor would want to upgrade. I understand that it's a marketing decision but hey, not everyone needs to upgrade every single year especially if the budget is a bit tight.

Releasing something just for the sake of sticking to a schedule doesn’t benefit anyone. Surely it’s better to wait until they can make a product which is an improvement on the previous version - which is what they currently do?

Maybe I’m old, but I really don’t get the ‘now now now’ attitude folk have these days.

+1. release something when you have something worthy to release.
That plus how good/bad it sells, what the competition is doing, availability of staff/production/materials/components...

Releasing at a fixed schedule comes with lots of complications.

not everyone needs to upgrade every single year especially if the budget is a bit tight.
It's not because something exists that you have to have it... but if you can't it's not a reason to not give it to others who can.

Reactions: walrus and Jam0ne
no body forces anyone to purchase the latest and supposedly the greatest product in their line up,,but in the world of competitive electronic goods ,its the competition between manufacture's that fuel the upgrades that come thick and fast ,and its up to us the consumer to decide if whats on offer is worth our cash, I myself are in the process of purchasing a new lightweight drone that does not have any obstacle avoidance ,as opposed to the one with obstacle avoidance ,this is because i have no need of it as i prefer to fly without it, and in over nearly 4 years of flying my DJI drones,I have not even had the obstacle avoidance system on my MPP turned on
that is my choice ,and others will have a different view ,which is their right,

Releasing something just for the sake of sticking to a schedule doesn’t benefit anyone. Surely it’s better to wait until they can make a product which is an improvement on the previous version - which is what they currently do?

Maybe I’m old, but I really don’t get the ‘now now now’ attitude folk have these days.
Iphones release every year and Apple became the richest company in the world. True, sometimes they release groundbreaking new models. But other times there's barely a slight improvement, and sometimes you can even argue that their new releases are worse than the previous.

I don't mind waiting a few generations until there's a huge improvement before upgrading. I'll stick with my MA2 until major advances in telephoto cameras come out.

Iphones release every year and Apple became the richest company in the world. True, sometimes they release groundbreaking new models. But other times there's barely a slight improvement, and sometimes you can even argue that their new releases are worse than the previous.

I don't mind waiting a few generations until there's a huge improvement before upgrading. I'll stick with my MA2 until major advances in telephoto cameras come out.
Apple are just greedy (and I write that as an Apple user). They purposefully leave features out so they have something to add next year. I much prefer DJI’s approach. Release something because it’s a considerable improvement.

Is this an outcome of cell phone plans with a two year replacement cycle - where you basically rent a phone for two years at exorbitant rates so you can get a "new" phone at the end of the lease?

I think us older folks are victims of people too young to remember that owning something has merit.

no body forces anyone to purchase the latest and supposedly the greatest product in their line up,,but in the world of competitive electronic goods ,its the competition between manufacture's that fuel the upgrades that come thick and fast ,and its up to us the consumer to decide if whats on offer is worth our cash, I myself are in the process of purchasing a new lightweight drone that does not have any obstacle avoidance ,as opposed to the one with obstacle avoidance ,this is because i have no need of it as i prefer to fly without it, and in over nearly 4 years of flying my DJI drones,I have not even had the obstacle avoidance system on my MPP turned on
that is my choice ,and others will have a different view ,which is their right,
Well said. The new drone will have 5k or something, but it's immaterial to most like me as I don't have the hardware to edit it. No I'll keep what I have for the moment thanks

Many companies - DJI included - along with Apple / Samsung / other esp in cell phone market cater to the younger crowd as they will SPEND to buy the latest and greatest. No matter if they spent $1.5k just 6 months ago for the latest and greatest. Based on - "it's all about me and lookie at what I've got!" Not everyone for sure in the younger generation, but seems enough for companies to jump on that train.

As stated by others - we're not "forced" to jump on that bullet train to bankruptcy - but we can if we so desire.

Technology does keep improving - very visible with all kinds of tech products even those by DJI compared to models like the Phantom line. Smaller, sleeker, more bang for the buck.

I'll look at the "3" if and when it comes out. I look at all the new models and decide if there is enough NEW to make it cost effective to purchase. Was not the case with the Air2S, while I have a fairly new Air2.

I just bought the DJI Pocket2 and waiting for it to show up. It is like the 3rd iteration of the Pocket over the last couple of years.

Heck, I'm still using my homebuilt desktop from 2012 (I5, but with an upgraded video card) and guess what - it does everything "I" need it to do and using Windows 7 - much preferable over Win 8 / 10. WIN11 is coming, but will it be worth the upgrade? Maybe and I will upgrade my PC as soon as chip prices go back to a reasonable level and not in the short supply as claimed across the world.

In the end - to each their own. I'll let those who have to have the latest buy & test to see how many problems are encountered before making a final purchase decision.

I'm not complaining because DJI always makes great products, but the company has a much wider range of stuff being sold like gimbals, actions cameras, and drones - and their schedule of launching products as well as the improvements made on these product each and every year can be a bit controversial. The OM5 was released a year after the OM4, while everyone is clamoring for a Mavic 3 or a Phantom 5. A lot of people have also been asking for a Osmo Action 2, but no news as of yet about a release.

So in order for people not to question incremental upgrades or why a certain product is not released before another, why don't DJI just have a regular schedule for a new product's release? That would ensure enough R & D for an awesome product especially if the existing version is still good. The Mini 2 is future proof for at least another year so why don't Minis be released every two years? They don't have to follow Apple or Samsung that release products every year.

This will help customers happy as they will still have the latest products after more than a year, and they would no longer speculate about what products will be released each time DJI releases a new teaser.

I own a Mini 2, Air 2S, Osmo Action, and OM4 (though tempted to get the OM5), and aside from the Action I'm not keen on any new products to be released nor would want to upgrade. I understand that it's a marketing decision but hey, not everyone needs to upgrade every single year especially if the budget is a bit tight.
I am getting tired of DJI. Where is waypoints for the Mini 2? I parked it and fly the mini 1. Dumb on their part. Looking elsewhere for the next one. Promise made but never released.

Reactions: Jam0ne
I am getting tired of DJI. Where is waypoints for the Mini 2? I parked it and fly the mini 1. Dumb on their part. Looking elsewhere for the next one. Promise made but never released.
The Mini2 was never advertised as having waypoints.

Reactions: Kilrah
The number of Mavics 2's being sold off in recent days tell me DJI will sell plenty of 3's even if the true specs are exactly the same as the 2's.

This is simply impossible.

Apple are just greedy (and I write that as an Apple user). They purposefully leave features out so they have something to add next year. I much prefer DJI’s approach. Release something because it’s a considerable improvement.
You're kidding right? I find it hard to believe that DJI couldn't of added 4k 60fps into the Mavic 2 series. I find it hard to believe that DJI couldn't of added 4k recording on the Mini 1.

DJI, like any company, is a for-profit business. That's the bottom line!

Reactions: FASTFJR and Jam0ne
DJI like Apple, Samsung et al. realised years ago, that their strongest marketing approach was to exploit human vanity. which decrees we must have the very latest gadget. This demonstrates how savvy and rich we are and therefore better than our neighbours. This is not a criticism, it is just an acknowledgement of human nature.
I venture to suggest that 99% of DJI flyers never understand, let alone use, more than 25% of the features available in any of their models.
I'm delighted if my bird ascends does a loop and returns unscathed. Should it have captured some images in the process my joy knows no bounds, but at my age opening my eyes each morning is a victory in itself!

Nike tenny runners costing $500 is a better more socially acceptable way to spend your welfare check. Everyone knows this.

ps: /S <-- forgot this

Last edited:
Comparing DJI and Drones to Apple or Samsung is like oranges and apples. Other than the are tech companies, they are entirely different markets.

There are annual upgrades to Smartphones with incremental feature upgrades and its been this way for years. Some of the features are software related, others are not. Its the way this market works.. At the same time, Apple or Samsung offer other products that do not see routine upgrades as well, usually on the "higher end"

DJI and Drones on the other hand, also do incremental upgrades, we've had 3 Mini models in relative short order, with minor differences in features and pricing. But on the higher end, DJI has taken far longer to come out with a significantly enhanced drone. The Mavic 3 appears to be around corner and it looks like its going to have a number of new features based on the rumors (or leaked details) that are now starting to fly.

There are always those that harp on why didn't DJI do this or that.. They have market data I am sure we'll never see that guides there decisions, even if we don't like them.. Things like waypoints, which I suspect is a rarely used feature, which is why DJI never adds them anymore... Seemingly buggy software updates, though its always odd, no matter the product, some people see issues, others never do..

Good common sense.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure