DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Repair Service Question....

AirBoudreaux

Reactions
So about 2 weeks ago I had an incident where I clipped a small branch under a tree. I had a yellow warning from behind me for the small tree. The base of the canopy was about 6' above the ground and I was about a foot under that. I wasn't directly under the canopy but apparently there was one small twig/ branch that protruded far enough out and downward that it caught one of the props and brought the drone down. The right front roto was locked up and I noticed that the rotor housing was bent upward. I also had a "Gimbal Stuck Error".

I sent the Air 2S to Drone Nerds and this is the diagnostic that I just received....

"We have finished diagnosing your Mavic Air 2S, and we found that your drone will need a new Gimbal/Camera ($468), Front Right Arm ($129) and Two ADS-B antennas ($15). When we began diagnosing your drone we found that your unit had exhibited a Gimbal Stuck Error. We went on to test if the Gimbal/Camera unit would respond to movement commands (Tilt Up/Down, Re center) and we found that the unit would not respond to any movement commands. Additionally, your Gimbal/Camera would not calibrate successfully after numerous attempts. DJI builds and calibrates their Gimbal/Camera system as a single replaceable part, therefore if the Gimbal breaks; the whole Gimbal/Camera system will need to be replaced.

We went on to test your drone through our diagnosis software (provided by the manufacturer). This test checks on the health of each component of the drone. The results indicated that the Gimbal yaw arm had failed the test, as well as the Front Right Arm and the ADS-B antennas. We found that the Front Right Arm had sustained damage to the motor, which has caused the motor to pop out of its frame at an angle. The Front Right Arm's motor is bent."

My question is that I have seen several posts about people sending their drones to DJI for repair and DJI ending up charging them a small fee and sending a refurbished model to them. How exactly does that work and does anybody know the requirements of that?

Im sure this would be classified as pilot error since technically I did receive a yellow warning, Just bad luck with the smaller branch that got me.

Last edited:
My question is that I have seen several posts about people sending their drones to DJI for repair and DJI ending up charging them a small fee and sending a refurbished model to them. How exactly does that wourk and does anybody know the requirements of that?
That sounds like DJI Care Refresh. You can find more details here.

Also, you can find pricing here and here for accessories/service when sending drones directly to DJI to repair.

That sounds like DJI Care Refresh. You can find more details here.

Also, you can find pricing here and here for accessories/service when sending drones directly to DJI to repair.
So I've got to be looking at that wrong. According to that parts list, I'm looking at like $12 USD to replace the front arm and camera/gimbal module. Plus labor.

That cant be right, can it?

How can it go from $600+ to closer to $100 or so depending on what they find and labor costs??

How can it go from $600+ to closer to $100
It sounds like you're attempting to compare Drone Nerds' pricing to DJI's. And that being the case, there could easily be a difference (of any amount) since those are different companies.

Furthermore, Drone Nerds is offering to replace the entire camera/gimbal assembly instead of the specific parts that need to be replaced (assuming that's possible).

It sounds like you're attempting to compare Drone Nerds' pricing to DJI's. And that being the case, there could easily be a difference (of any amount) since those are different companies.
Yea, I know they (Drone Nerds) have some sort of mark-up. They have to make money too.

Furthermore, Drone Nerds is offering to replace the entire camera instead of the specific parts that need to be replaced (assuming that's possible).

Well according to them, its one unit and will all need replacing. This is what the email said.
"DJI builds and calibrates their Gimbal/Camera system as a single replaceable part, therefore if the Gimbal breaks; the whole Gimbal/Camera system will need to be replaced."

I guess DJI can do it separately. Are these prices listed for those who have the DJI Care Refresh support? I got the Air 2S back in October of last year and I cant remember If I opted for the protection.

Reactions: Wumpus_NJ
Are these prices listed for those who have the DJI Care Refresh support
No. DJI Care Refresh has a set fee for any type of repair. You can find additional details here.

Reactions: Cafguy
No. DJI Care Refresh has a set fee for any type of repair. You can find additional details here.
Roger that.

I went ahead and sent in a repair request. Going to have Drone Nerds return the ac and just send it to DJI (as I should have done in the first place)!!

Last edited:
Drone nerds price was actually not bad. I don't really agree with the gimble camera thing. If you can use python you can calibrate the gimble and camera.
DJI will probably charge you - $700.00
Dji repair prices for most crashes are easy to estimate, If you have no warranty just look up the refurbished units price at the DJI store online( not Camrise but the actual store) and add about 10%.
Probably 90% of crashed drones just automatically get replaced with new or Refurbs its cheaper for them.

Reactions: RodPad
Probably 90% of crashed drones just automatically get replaced with new or Refurbs its cheaper for them
A good point. For those who want their own drone returned, DJI repair service might not be the best place to go.

Reactions: Cafguy
I would never ever repair a DJI drone with a third party. It will take longer and cost more in nearly 100% of cases
Decided to have them send it back so I could send it to DJI. DJI repaired it for free. Lesson learned! AWESOME customer service!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne