DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Self Unlocking Questions?

Trask55

Reactions
I have a Mavic 2 Pro and have been using the DJI Self Unlocking as a recreational pilot since I live near an airport and it has worked flawlessly. I am relatively new to drones and have only been flying for a few months so I want to make sure I am doing what is required.

When applying for the DJI self unlock it says I will be required to provide information about myself and intended flight location including and this is where I have some questions. In the second part of including it says "ii. Documentation of your authorization to fly in the designated area, including but not limited to these examples : A certificate of authorization, operating license or permit from a national aviation authority - A letter of agreement with an airport; or A statement of work from a facility that has hired you for the operation - Intended flight location information, including: location, height and range of your requested flight area - Start date and end date of your intended flight - Other documents required by applicable laws and regulations".

I have a recreational license and the aircraft is properly marked with it's certificate number. Do I need all these things in list in my possession before I fly? Does being a recreational pilot change what is required? Does the self unlocking take care of all the requirements in the list quoted above? Is the list above only for a request to fly in a restricted zone?

Last edited:
Thank you for asking this question, as you are not the only one doing this.

If you have been in controlled airspace (B, C, D, or Surface E) since November of 2018 without getting a LAANC clearance or FAA waiver, you have been flying illegally. You can use an app like AirMap or Kittyhawk to request the clearance in areas that have more than zero heights on the ArcGIS maps. Those with zero height or no LAANC capability yet require an FAA waiver that you apply for through the FAA DroneZone website.

50D2756D-575C-4290-A0DA-14AC08EB6048.png

Once you get this clearance, you are then legal to fly and can then self unlock in the DJI app. If you often fly in the same area and it is not covered by the LAANC system you can request a waiver for an extended length of time via the DroneZone website.

Last edited:
When applying for the DJI self unlock it says I will be required to provide information about myself and intended flight location including and this is where I have some questions. In the second part of including it says "ii. Documentation of your authorization to fly in the designated area, including but not limited to these examples : A certificate of authorization, operating license or permit from a national aviation authority - A letter of agreement with an airport; or A statement of work from a facility that has hired you for the operation - Intended flight location information, including: location, height and range of your requested flight area - Start date and end date of your intended flight - Other documents required by applicable laws and regulations".
I have self unlocked a blue authorization zone from time to time and my experience is that DJI requires none of that for a self-authorization license, just a click of agreement on some conditions is all it takes. Problem is self-authorization unlock gives you a maximum of three days (72hrs) - after that, you will have to unlock the zone again with another license. The above quote from your post applies to custom unlocking through which DJI can grant you an unlocking license for a longer period of time for a blue zone, or unlocking a red zone (which can never be unlocked with self-authorization). And for that you do need documentation showing you have the necessary approval from the concerned authorities.

Now, you also seem to have questions regarding the legality of self-authorization. I don't think I can answer that. Better to consult the local guide lines and laws. If you are not flying in contravention of those, you should be fine with self-authorization.

I have self unlocked a blue authorization zone from time to time and my experience is that DJI requires none of that for a self-authorization license, just a click of agreement on some conditions is all it takes. Problem is self-authorization unlock gives you a maximum of three days (72hrs) - after that, you will have to unlock the zone again with another license. The above quote from your post applies to custom unlocking through which DJI can grant you an unlocking license for a longer period of time for a blue zone, or unlocking a red zone (which can never be unlocked with self-authorization). And for that you do need documentation showing you have the necessary approval from the concerned authorities.

Now, you also seem to have questions regarding the legality of self-authorization. I don't think I can answer that. Better to consult the local guide lines and laws. If you are not flying in contravention of those, you should be fine with self-authorization.
@Trask55 is in Oregon, USA so I was providing the information for him to fly legally.

I have a Mavic 2 Pro and have been using the DJI Self Unlocking as a recreational pilot since I live near an airport and it has worked flawlessly. I am relatively new to drones and have only been flying for a few months so I want to make sure I am doing what is required.

I have a recreational license and the aircraft is properly marked with it's certificate number. Do I need all these things in list in my possession before I fly? Does being a recreational pilot change what is required? Does the self unlocking take care of all the requirements in the list quoted above? Is the list above only for a request to fly in a restricted zone?
i had the same thing dji told me to put a blank txt file .....i use a pic of my b 17 rc plane .. it works

Thank you for asking this question, as you are not the only one doing this.

If you have been in controlled airspace (B, C, D, or Surface E) since November of 2018 without getting a LAANC clearance or FAA waiver, you have been flying illegally. You can use an app like AirMap or Kittyhawk to request the clearance in areas that have more than zero heights on the ArcGIS maps. Those with zero height or no LAANC capability yet require an FAA waiver that you apply for through the FAA DroneZone website.

View attachment 96267

Once you get this clearance, you are then legal to fly and can then self unlock in the DJI app. If you often fly in the same area and it is not covered by the LAANC system you can request a waiver for an extended length of time via the DroneZone website.
DoomMeister

Thank you for the information and links. The DJI self unlocking seemed too simple and from day one just didn't seem complete enough. Guess when I was registering the drone I should have done more reading on the FAA website. Is there an up to date tutorial anyplace that would walk a recreational pilot through the process to fly legally in the USA? Seems like when searching for information it's been difficult to find anything that is complete enough, easy to understand for the beginner and new enough to still be relevant. From now on this site will be my go too for anything drone related.

Reactions: DoomMeister
I totally feel your frustration. I am still not totally clear on exactly when I need authorization and where/how to get it. I am terrified at flying somewhere I am not supposed to and would never blatantly do so. Happy flying!

DoomMeister

Thank you for the information and links. The DJI self unlocking seemed too simple and from day one just didn't seem complete enough. Guess when I was registering the drone I should have done more reading on the FAA website. Is there an up to date tutorial anyplace that would walk a recreational pilot through the process to fly legally in the USA? Seems like when searching for information it's been difficult to find anything that is complete enough, easy to understand for the beginner and new enough to still be relevant. From now on this site will be my go too for anything drone related.

I use AirMap to check a lot of flight areas that I see on the forum (for the USA) and it will let you know if you are in Controlled Airspace with the warnings. If you use it to plan your flight it will prompt you as you progress and will submit for LAANC clearance. If you are not in an area with LAANC capability yet, you need to use the ArcGIS site to get the section numbers for the controlled airspace and submit your request after signing in on the FAA DroneZone. The waiver is not instantaneous, so submit it well before you plan to fly.

What about airports in uncontrolled airspace without LAANC?

I use AirMap to check a lot of flight areas that I see on the forum (for the USA) and it will let you know if you are in Controlled Airspace with the warnings. If you use it to plan your flight it will prompt you as you progress and will submit for LAANC clearance. If you are not in an area with LAANC capability yet, you need to use the ArcGIS site to get the section numbers for the controlled airspace and submit your request after signing in on the FAA DroneZone. The waiver is not instantaneous, so submit it well before you plan to fly.

If the airport, heliport, seaplane base, private airstrip, etc. is in Class G airspace (aka Uncontrolled Airspace) you do not need clearance and you should maintain vigil for manned aircraft and yield right of way.

I would strongly recommend that if you fly near such an area that you learn the flight procedures for manned aircraft that utilize those facilities. How they approach and depart them depending on the prevailing winds. What their normal altitudes are when utilizing those ports due to terrain and possible overlying controlled airspace such as non surface Class E like I have at my present locale with many small airstrips and heliports within 5 miles radius.

The FAA site is a great resource for learning about all types of aviation and it is FREE ($0.00) to obtain. You can even download sectional charts and learn to read them. The legend is there to tell you what the symbols mean and in the near future recreational pilots will need to be able to read them to pass the knowledge test.

There are many communities that offer ground school for becoming a private pilot for little or no cost through adult education programs. I went through ground school in the 80’s while I was serving in the Air Force as an Avionics Instructor and it was a very informative experience. I did not take flight training as it was too expensive as an E-4.

I guess what I am trying to get across to those that wish to be better more responsible pilots of sUAS, is that the information is there for the taking and our job/hobby will be less frowned upon if we all fly inside the laws and present a face to the media that is not tainted.

Note that even if you're in G space, DJI does zone those areas near airports and TFRs that are published far enough in advance so you still may need to unlock Geofence zones in those areas.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998