DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Smart Controller - DJI Fly keeps stopping

Greg Webb

Retired Law Enforcement / Part 107 Cert.
Reactions
Air 2S using DJI Smart Controller (not the Pro version) the DJI Fly app is stopping. Screen goes blank. Tried updating. Not helping. Drone OK with stock controller. Has anyone dealt with this and if so, how did you fix it?

Yes, I bought the drone back in December and it worked great. Now, the last several flights DJI Fly just stops working. Luckily my drone came back. I really like the SC and don't won't to stop using it, I just want it to work right. Have you tried to put any other apps on yours or are you leaving it as is?

I have flown for the last 3 consecutive days with no issues on the SC. I have not however updated to the latest version that came out in the last couple of days. Have either of you?

Yes, I bought the drone back in December and it worked great. Now, the last several flights DJI Fly just stops working. Luckily my drone came back. I really like the SC and don't won't to stop using it, I just want it to work right. Have you tried to put any other apps on yours or are you leaving it as is?
Yes, when I first got it I put several apps on the SC and it immediately began to have trouble so I did a complete wipe and reinstall and never put any other app on it. I think I put Aloft on it and a few more and it was just too much for the old girl. Nary a problem since the "refresh". Just normal lagging issue when screen recording.

Air 2S using DJI Smart Controller (not the Pro version) the DJI Fly app is stopping. Screen goes blank. Tried updating. Not helping. Drone OK with stock controller. Has anyone dealt with this and if so, how did you fix it?
I have the same problem. My controller keeps disconnecting from the Mavic mid flight. Did everything DJI asked me to do, but now I have to send in an obsolete unit for a hopeful repair or replacement. It happened after a recent firmware update. Wondering if the new smart controller pro they are pushing for the M3 will work on the M2.

I have the same problem. My controller keeps disconnecting from the Mavic mid flight. Did everything DJI asked me to do, but now I have to send in an obsolete unit for a hopeful repair or replacement. It happened after a recent firmware update. Wondering if the new smart controller pro they are pushing for the M3 will work on the M2.
I'm going back to iPad Mini 5 and standard controller for bigger screen. I now have a Smart Controller for sale that is in pristine condition!

Hey everyone, just wanted to update you on my controller issue. I sent it in to DJI and they concluded I had a malfunctioning SDR board, which I think is Software Defined Radio, which interrupts the shooting and kept rebooting. They charged me $145 for the board and $65 for labor. The unit should be here today (Saturday) so I can fly it. The unit is only two years old and light used, so I'm surprised at the quick defection. Anyway, I may still invest in another tablet system as a back up because, as a lot of you do, I get into some remote areas where redundancy mean everything. This is what I was shooting when the controller disconnected WAY MORE TIMES than it was in previous weeks. Most of my manual footage wasn't usable because I lost control. This is a two shot pano stitched in Lightroom. All I could do was really switch to photos from video. Anyway, that's the conclusion.

EDIT: Just flew the drone and the disconnection still happens. In fact it wasn't five seconds after takeoff that the controller went back to the GO4 APP start screen. Just sent in the new controller and the drone, asking them to focus on the firmware and not to send it back unless they actually test fly the system.

Attachments

• IMG5455 small.jpg
    IMG5455 small.jpg
    775.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I just had this happen last week while using spotlight and recording video using the SC. Screen went black with no response Mav2S went into RTH while I power cycled and gained control just before touchdown. Not a pleasant experience.

Hey everyone, just wanted to update you on my controller issue. I sent it in to DJI and they concluded I had a malfunctioning SDR board, which I think is Software Defined Radio, which interrupts the shooting and kept rebooting. They charged me $145 for the board and $65 for labor. The unit should be here today (Saturday) so I can fly it. The unit is only two years old and light used, so I'm surprised at the quick defection. Anyway, I may still invest in another tablet system as a back up because, as a lot of you do, I get into some remote areas where redundancy mean everything. This is what I was shooting when the controller disconnected WAY MORE TIMES than it was in previous weeks. Most of my manual footage wasn't usable because I lost control. This is a two shot pano stitched in Lightroom. All I could do was really switch to photos from video. Anyway, that's the conclusion.

EDIT: Just flew the drone and the disconnection still happens. In fact it wasn't five seconds after takeoff that the controller went back to the GO4 APP start screen. Just sent in the new controller and the drone, asking them to focus on the firmware and not to send it back unless they actually test fly the system.
IF you are indeed ( and not a mistype) flying with the DJI GO4app, no wonder it is crashing, it is not used for the Air2S!! You would need the DJI FLY app which you would need to download from the DJI download site.

Hey everyone,

So far this has been a disaster working with DJI. Rather than repost everything here, this is a link to the DJI discussion. Disappointed with DJI Repair

I am done with the Smart Controller. DJI does NOT fix problems, they just send you a new or refurbished device and hope the problem does not reoccur. The new smart controller they sent me (after losing both my drone and smart controller in shipping) is so buggy it's unusable. Some of the videos I posted in their forum show you that. It keeps disconnecting, giving me "CONTROLLER IS NOT RESPONDING" errors and jumps all over the place from screen to screen. What I mean by that is if I try to calibrate the compass, the SC just leaves that screen and goes right back to the main flight screen....all by its lonesome. Done everything DJI has asked. Factory reset, then refreshed the firmware, updated the GO4 APP, etc. Nothing worked.

So I will be trying to figure out how to use a system that uses the old DJI controller and a tablet, getting rid of that junk SC.

Joe

Hey everyone,

So far this has been a disaster working with DJI. Rather than repost everything here, this is a link to the DJI discussion. Disappointed with DJI Repair

I am done with the Smart Controller. DJI does NOT fix problems, they just send you a new or refurbished device and hope the problem does not reoccur. The new smart controller they sent me (after losing both my drone and smart controller in shipping) is so buggy it's unusable. Some of the videos I posted in their forum show you that. It keeps disconnecting, giving me "CONTROLLER IS NOT RESPONDING" errors and jumps all over the place from screen to screen. What I mean by that is if I try to calibrate the compass, the SC just leaves that screen and goes right back to the main flight screen....all by its lonesome. Done everything DJI has asked. Factory reset, then refreshed the firmware, updated the GO4 APP, etc. Nothing worked.

So I will be trying to figure out how to use a system that uses the old DJI controller and a tablet, getting rid of that junk SC.

Joe
IF you are indeed ( and not a mistype) flying with the DJI GO4app, no wonder it is crashing, it is not used for the Air2S!! You would need the DJI FLY app which you would need to download from the DJI download site.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54