DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Unlock: sometimes a location says no authorization needed, and ...

Kyle76

Reactions
sometimes the exact location says unlock authorization available. Anyone else see this behavior? There’s a particular area near a small airport that I check regularly. Sometimes when I go to the DJI Unlock site there is a “pin” at the center of the airport to click and enter that location into the field for unlocking. At other times, I visit the site and there is no pin to click and it says no authorization needed. I have not tried to fly without having authorization (the area is three hous away), so I don’t know if it’s possible to do so.

Can you give more specifics on the location?
Was it a blue authorization zone, red restricted zone or grey altitude zone? If none of those then unlock is not needed.

However if within a controlled airspace, then you need clearance from FAA using either LAANC using Airmap or Kittyhawk apps, or the slower method using FAA DroneZone website. That's to be legal, not to unlock drone so it will take off.

Possible it could be a location that has limited operational days/hours

Can you give more specifics on the location?
Was it a blue authorization zone, red restricted zone or grey altitude zone? If none of those then unlock is not needed.

However if within a controlled airspace, then you need clearance from FAA using either LAANC using Airmap or Kittyhawk apps, or the slower method using FAA DroneZone website. That's to be legal, not to unlock drone so it will take off.
Blue zone: Michael Smith (Beaufort-Morehead) airport in Beaufort, NC.

If it's blue in the map at the time of flight and it says "NFZ", then you need to unlock. If you're at the edge of the zone, GPS on AC may be deviating in and out of the zone. In that case move closer in to unlock, or unlock offline using DJI Flysafe website. You have to use a desktop browser for flysafe unlock.

Where and when do you get the message "authorization unneeded"?

I just checked Airmap, the city airport doesn't seem to be in controlled airspace so no need for LAANC. But it does appear big enough where DJI would put an authorization zone, particularly off of the runways.

I am unlocking through the website. The first time I was there, I couldn’t fly, even though there is no LAANC clearance needed. Two other times I’ve unlocked several days in advance. I check it online occasionally because we’re building a house there. Lately, you never know if it requires authorization or not.

DJI and FAA zones won't always correlate. DJI may add zones that they feel warrant caution. That airport certainly seems to qualify. I'm actually surprised it isn't controlled airspace.

If you're on the edge of a blue authorization zone, you may at times be just off it. Try being more in it with a larger flight circle to cover your actual flight location when unlocking offline.
If unlocking in field, try unlocking more in the zone, then move back to where you want to fly.

It says no authorization needed now. Don’t know if they’ve simply removed the area or it goes back and forth according to certain factors like winter offseason.

I live in a blue zone. Uncontrolled airspace, tiny regional airport.

For my very first drone flight, Using a desktop, I received 48 hr unlock permission, which has now expired.

Do I need to use the desktop app for my next flight? Or can I get the text code directly from my phone?

You can unlock in field if you have internet and SMS text capabilities there. While it shows NFZ, do a CSC and it will prompt if you want to unlock. 3 checkboxes, OK, enter mobile number, receive text, enter code sent by text, done. If the app is running on your phone that is receiving the SMS, you might not need to enter the texted code.

Otherwise you can do it offline like you did before.

Ah, it's commenting on two overlaping zones.
Blue authorization zone that requires unlock
Orange/yellow Advanced Warning zone that doesn't require an unlock.

And the warning zone notice says no unlock necessary, no that no authorization necessary. The term "authorization" was somewhat ambitious as that could refer to DJI geofencing unlock, or regulation entity authorization.

Ah, it's commenting on two overlaping zones.
Blue authorization zone that requires unlock
Orange/yellow Advanced Warning zone that doesn't require an unlock.

And the warning zone notice says no unlock necessary, no that no authorization necessary. The term "authorization" was somewhat ambitious as that could refer to DJI geofencing unlock, or regulation entity authorization.
Yes, it appears you are right. Trying to figure this out without being in the actual location has been confusing, but it appears the blue area, including runway approaches, require unlocking, while the yellow area does not. The good news is that I was able to unlock the blue area from my iPad this morning, so I don't have to worry about having a laptop when I'm trying to fly in that area and haven't done a prior unlock. If I can do it on my iPad, I can probably do it on my iPhone as well.

All that's needed for in-field, in-app real-time unlock is for the app to have internet access, and you have a phone that can receive text messages. The device running the app doesn't have to be the device receiving the text.

I'm pretty sure on zone map you can touch a location and get the details for that spot. You can't unlock that way though, only get its status.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MavicMonster