DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dlog-M for surveying and inspections

tolabog

Reactions
Hi there I am very new to this and was wondering is it necessary to shoot in dlog-m and raw when doing say a roof inspection. Am i right in thinking raw and dlog-m are for cinematic/artistic photography?

Hi there I am very new to this and was wondering is it necessary to shoot in dlog-m and raw when doing say a roof inspection. Am i right in thinking raw and dlog-m are for cinematic/artistic photography?
You're correct. There aren't any academy awards for best roof inspection video.
Just give your audience/client what they are wanting to see.

Reactions: tolabog and clackey
D-Log is technically only best when in super high contrast environments with deep shadows and harsh bright areas and leads to minimal detail loss due to the way it compresses more information into the frame.

I would think simple HD footage in mp4 H264 would be more than enough for most purposes. Most clients won't even be able to view the super best footage in H265 4k full FOV in a way that would make it worth it. It also will allow quicker editing and rendering in lower to mid-range computers not set up as dedicated editing machines.

For most jobs, I would shoot the following and up-charge for anything more than that as an option.
Video Size: 2.7K – 2688×1512, 24 fps
Video Format: MP4
Camera Video Coding: H.264
Style: None
Color: Normal

I would shoot stills in Raw and export in Lightroom CC (or classic synced to Lightroom cc) to send to clients. If you use Lightroom CC to share links would take care of all the conversion for you. If you are working in super bright areas with a wide range of light conditions you might consider shooting in AEB (Auto exposure bracketing, 3 or 5 frames) and combining in Lightroom (super easy in LR Classic) to create a HDR image that should give you the widest possible contrast range to see farther into shadows and not lose detail in the bright areas. All this is quick and easy, so well worth the time in my opinion.

There are plenty of valid takes on this and I am sure there will be some that disagree with me but this is all just based on my experiences. In the end, find settings that are quick and easy for you to deal with setting exposure and focus and you will be the happiest with the results.

Reactions: tolabog
Thank you for the info. Would you say the same for real estate aerial footage also? And thanks again for the help ?

As a base package, yes. As an upgrade option to justify a higher price, up the specs of the video you could introduce the higher resolutions and the super fancy sounding D-Log gamma profile. :)

People like choices especially when money is involved. You might even find that a person will buy a basic package at a lower price just because if they only have one choice they might not buy anything at all.

I used this a lot in screen printing. The price for a basic one color print on a Hanes tee looks a lot better when set next to a single color print on an organic Americal Apparel tee.

Reactions: tolabog
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique