DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DNG RAW Capture with mapping software

Ronski

Reactions
Hi,

Are there any mapping apps for the Mavic 2 Pro that will shoot RAW? Want to do post processing and generate textures with wider bit depth.

Many thanks

Are there any mapping apps for the Mavic 2 Pro that will shoot RAW? Want to do post processing and generate textures with wider bit depth.
None of the common mapping apps offer that.
It would slow down the flight writing so many very large files.
File sizes for the stitching program are already very large when dealing with jpg files but would be with a humongous with raw files.
Jpg produces very good results for most purposes.
Do you have a particular need for more or just wanted to try raw?
What are you intending to use for stitching and does it support using dng images?

Hi,

Many thanks
I believe you can shoot in jpeg+dng in most of them but you’ll be on your own as far as creating the composite image.

There are some mapping softwares that accept dng as an input file but they likely just convert it to tiff before stitching anyway since the output file is a raster image you don’t really get the benefit of the dng. Seems unlikely to produce a higher quality texture anyway since a dng isn’t a raster image and a texture is pixel dependent.

Therefore I surmise that taking the DNGs and converting them to tiff before feeding into the mapping application would be a better easier way to obtain the same result without the need for specialized software.

Last edited:
Processing images in Reality Capture for model generation , you can use Jpgs then switch to a RAW layer for textures or camera export.

I’ve done it shooting time lapse manual mode, it will be slower to write the data of course but that’s why I want to use mapping software, having battery change over and resume automated flight is needed as well.

Which ones can do that?
Just start the mapping mission, pause it, go into DJI Go 4 and switch camera settings to jpeg + raw. Then resume.

Mapping missions are just waypoint missions so all the same options for the camera are still available and since missions get uploaded to the drone switching to a different app during the mission doesn’t cancel the mission

I was using Drone Deploy with inspire 1 raw. Also have used Altizure with Mavic Pro. With both I was shooting dng and gather them in Agisoft.
The image format and exposure settings are manageable in djigo.

As it passed some time Altizure is no more working with newest Androids. Yesterday used Drone Deploy and the settings in DJI GO4 was set to DNG but it did only JPG's. Any advice how to get DNG's? It's for photogrammetry work, not for mapping.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure