DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DNxHD or ProRes for video production

BobDoLe

Reactions
Hey guys, I'm wanting to feed my Mavic 2 pro 10bit dlog footage into DaVinci resolve 16 and discovered it won't take the files as they come out of the drone. Coming from using shotcut which took in EVERYTHING, this is a little inconvenient, but I'm sure it will be worth it.
I found that dr16 seems to handle dnxhdr pretty well and I can actually scrub through the video (couldn't do that with shotcut without proxy files). However, converting a 4gb file into a 31gb file seems like overkill.
What's the minimum file size without losing any info/quality? Also what format do you guys convert to? This is on a Linux system so Adobe premier isn't an option for me.

Here's my ffmpeg conversion string

ffmpeg -i random10bitx265.MP4 -c:v dnxhd -profile:v dnxhr_hqx -pix_fmt yuv422p10le -b:v 120M -c:a pcm_s16le giantvideofile_converted.mov

Suggestions?

The 4K footage off the MicroSD card would normally create a PROXY file so you can edit it as the original 4K file is highly compressed.
You really need a BEEFY computer and video card to edit 4K.

Resolve studio will read the files , so you may want to look at spending a few dollars and get the studio version. Other benefits like really good noise reduction

Reactions: Kilrah
i think DaVinci Resolve 16 (free) should be able to read them also, but not on my linux machine (even switched to CentOS just for this).
pro res also popped out a 32gb file.
i'm finding the 32gb files work fine, but i think i will also make proxy files since it is so straight forward with the media management transcode feature built in

Here's my ffmpeg conversion string
ffmpeg -i random10bitx265.MP4 -c:v dnxhd -profile:v dnxhr_hqx -pix_fmt yuv422p10le -b:v 120M -c:a pcm_s16le giantvideofile_converted.mov

Well that's exactly what I do when I am traveling. Convert it to dnxhdr so my travel-notebook can handle the data. Storage is quite cheap and it has 2TB M2 drives.

Resolve free should open h265 files. However, make sure you have the HEVC codec installed on your PC. You can get this from Windows app store (there's a paid version around £0.60 and you can find a free version).

EDIT: just seen your original post for Linux. However, would like to leave this here for info for other windows users.

Reactions: Brewbud
for any linux users out there on davinci resolve 16 free version.... confirmed the linux version specifically does not support h265 (or h264) incoming video.
it seems there is no decoder built into it and it can't/wont use Gstreamer. only way to input is to convert the files first.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots