DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do Airports use LAANC information?

ddodell

Reactions
Can't find a reference to this question online.

When I file a LAANC authorization, does the airport whose area I'm flying in, get notified and use the data to warn airplanes ... i.e. manned flights within the area are notified of drone operations @ 200 feet in an area they might be crossing over?

If the airports don't use the information in live time, what is the practical purpose?

Don't read this the wrong way, I think it is a great system, and use it all the time as a recreational pilot. Just wondering how the information is being used from a practical safety standpoint? Kinda hoping they are notify pilots of the UAV operations ...

Nope. LAANC is specifically set up as areas where additional permissions aren't necessary. Basically, "fly here, we're fine with it, you don't need to let us know".

DOD facilities are different, and require you to call as per a COA.

LAANC was developed to cut down on the workload for ATC.

Can't find a reference to this question online.

When I file a LAANC authorization, does the airport whose area I'm flying in, get notified and use the data to warn airplanes ... i.e. manned flights within the area are notified of drone operations @ 200 feet in an area they might be crossing over?

If the airports don't use the information in live time, what is the practical purpose?

Don't read this the wrong way, I think it is a great system, and use it all the time as a recreational pilot. Just wondering how the information is being used from a practical safety standpoint? Kinda hoping they are notify pilots of the UAV operations ...
ATC can definitely look it up if they need to but at least at my local international airport I know for a fact only one person knows how to access LAANC.

Nope. LAANC is specifically set up as areas where additional permissions aren't necessary. Basically, "fly here, we're fine with it, you don't need to let us know".

Yea I guess the question is then why do you have to submit requests to LAANC if they don’t use the information for anything? Why isn’t it just “you can only fly this high in this area” and forgo the whole requesting authorization process? Just to make people think about it more closely?

Yea I guess the question is then why do you have to submit requests to LAANC if they don’t use the information for anything? Why isn’t it just “you can only fly this high in this area” and forgo the whole requesting authorization process? Just to make people think about it more closely?
Because the FAA has a way to check past flights if something comes up. There is a record.

Sorry, that doesn't make sense to me ... if the attitude is "fly here, we're fine with it, you don't need to let us know"; why have LAANC at all? Has to be more to it then that.

To put it simply LAANC provides a record of who was flying in a controlled airspace. Manned flights, ie. commercial or private pilots also require permission to enter controlled airspace. If a drone collided with a manned flight or did something dumb like fly down a runway ATC or the FAA could look it up.

The old way before LAANC was slow and cumbersome. Compared to the old method, LAANC is a dream.

Cheers!

Reactions: DoomMeister
Because the FAA has a way to check past flights if something comes up. There is a record.
But isn't there also another reason? My understanding is that if there are temporary reasons to prohibit flight in areas where it would otherwise be allowed--such as an event at a sports stadium, a Presidential visit, etc--that your LAANC application would be denied.

But isn't there also another reason? My understanding is that if there are temporary reasons to prohibit flight in areas where it would otherwise be allowed--such as an event at a sports stadium, a Presidential visit, etc--that your LAANC application would be denied.
Not really. That's the only reason. In theory, TFRs are tied to LAANC applications. Sometimes they aren't.

Take here in Colorado for example.

We just has horrific fires North of Denver, so a TFR was put in place so as not to interfere with air tankers who were called in yesterday to fight the fires. Some people still did not check TFRs and flew, or were confused about things. The fires were also inside KBJC's D airspace, so some people applied for LAANC approval to fly.

Aloft wasn't tied to TFRs, but AirMap was. So if they used AirMap, they were denied. If they used Aloft, they thought they had permission and flew, even during a firefighting TFR.

There are now at least two active cases where those who flew will be getting a call from FSDO on Monday.

So to your question, no, there really isn't another reason for LAANC. It's a convenience for drone owners who want to fly in Controller Airspace, and for the ATC folks who would have to otherwise take time away from monitoring manned aircraft in their airspace to talk with drone folks.

Reactions: MS Coast
Not really. That's the only reason. In theory, TFRs are tied to LAANC applications. Sometimes they aren't.

Take here in Colorado for example.

We just has horrific fires North of Denver, so a TFR was put in place so as not to interfere with air tankers who were called in yesterday to fight the fires. Some people still did not check TFRs and flew, or were confused about things. The fires were also inside KBJC's D airspace, so some people applied for LAANC approval to fly.

Aloft wasn't tied to TFRs, but AirMap was. So if they used AirMap, they were denied. If they used Aloft, they thought they had permission and flew, even during a firefighting TFR.

There are now at least two active cases where those who flew will be getting a call from FSDO on Monday.

So to your question, no, there really isn't another reason for LAANC. It's a convenience for drone owners who want to fly in Controller Airspace, and for the ATC folks who would have to otherwise take time away from monitoring manned aircraft in their airspace to talk with drone folks.

I am not very familiar with the specific scenario you're speaking of but I am inclined to ask ~ to assure I have the process correct for (part of) my pre-flight...

So any and every time I am about to fly, part of my pre-flight is the following: UAV forecast to check the weather. Is the current and expected upcoming weather safe for flight? If NO, no reason to continue any further ~ don't unpack or repack if already unpacked. If YES: B4UFLY to make sure it says I am "clear for takeoff".

And although I have not yet had to deal with LAANC I presume that if/when B4UFLY tells me I'm in controlled airspace that requires LAANC, I would then apply for said LAANC with ALOFT. After that I'd have to perform a DJI unlock, but then after that I'd be "clear for takeoff"...

So my question(s) are: those two active cases you speak of, are they in "hot water" now? Is there anything I need to do differently in my process to avoid winding up in a similar scenario? I saw you mentioned Aloft would have actually given LAANC despite a TFR? Is there a separate step I should perform to specifically check for TFRs, because I would have thought for sure a TFR would show up either in B4UFLY, and/or ALOFT..!

Just trying to make sure I stay on the right side of the line..!

Reactions: MS Coast
I am not very familiar with the specific scenario you're speaking of but I am inclined to ask ~ to assure I have the process correct for (part of) my pre-flight...

So any and every time I am about to fly, part of my pre-flight is the following: UAV forecast to check the weather. Is the current and expected upcoming weather safe for flight? If NO, no reason to continue any further ~ don't unpack or repack if already unpacked. If YES: B4UFLY to make sure it says I am "clear for takeoff".

And although I have not yet had to deal with LAANC I presume that if/when B4UFLY tells me I'm in controlled airspace that requires LAANC, I would then apply for said LAANC with ALOFT. After that I'd have to perform a DJI unlock, but then after that I'd be "clear for takeoff"...

So my question(s) are: those two active cases you speak of, are they in "hot water" now? Is there anything I need to do differently in my process to avoid winding up in a similar scenario? I saw you mentioned Aloft would have actually given LAANC despite a TFR? Is there a separate step I should perform to specifically check for TFRs, because I would have thought for sure a TFR would show up either in B4UFLY, and/or ALOFT..!

Just trying to make sure I stay on the right side of the line..!
TFRs are pretty rare, so it's not something you need to do always. Especially if you keep an eye on the news. If you see a fire, have a VIP visiting, or some civil disobedience, check TFRs. But you do need to be aware.

I play close attention for obvious reasons, but it's not part of my everyday preflight unless I'm flying out of state or some place I'm used to flying in.

B4UFly is supposed to be tied to TFRs in real time, but if there is any suspicion of a possible TFR, check tfr.faa.gov.

Also, some of the mistakes from this past TFR episode in Denver has prompted some folks at the FAA to look deeper into why not all of the LAANC providers where listing the TFR. Especially Aloft, since they are directly tied to B4UFly.

When you apply in LAANC do you have to enter the GPS coordinates manually in the lat and long. If so looks like it would be much easier to bring up a map and you move some corners on a map a round with your finger.

When you apply in LAANC do you have to enter the GPS coordinates manually in the lat and long. If so looks like it would be much easier to bring up a map and you move some corners on a map a round with your finger.
Depending on which LAANC provider you use, you simply search an address on their app (if it's in advance) or use their current location if they are on site and need LAANC.

Once you decide location, you simply move the cursor around to draw the flight area.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929