DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I need a compass for DJI Fly?

FYI .. Every Apple device has a compass sensor and every Android device (except for one strange Samsung tablet) has a compass sensor.

This is not true, there are several Android tablets that do not have a compass. For example the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.4 (2020) is a beautiful little tablet that would be great for flying (even has a high brightness, outdoor setting) but it doesn't have a compass. The Lenovo Smart Tab M8 is another that doesn't have one.

Last edited:
I'd have to know what model that is to say.
You don't seem to have mentioned it in this thread.
I currently have this one and I'm seriously considering sending it back for a used or refurbished ipad 4 or 5.
The one I have apparently does not have a magnet because the icon at the bottom of the screen that shows one's position in relation to the ac doesn't work.

I currently have this one and I'm seriously considering sending it back for a used or refurbished ipad 4 or 5.
The one I have apparently does not have a magnet because the icon at the bottom of the screen that shows one's position in relation to the ac doesn't work.
That's the one.
This website is the best for checking specs.
It lists the sensors under Features and yours doesn't show a compass or magnetometer

This is not true, there are several Android tablets that do not have a compass. For example the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.4 (2020) is a beautiful little tablet that would be great for flying (even has a high brightness, outdoor setting) but it doesn't have a compass. The Lenovo Smart Tab M8 is another that doesn't have one.
OK ... That's two odd ones that don't have a compass.
Thankyou for the information about the other one.

I wonder why they don't have specs on this one

Last edited:
I use a Mini 4 and my orientation icon has never worked on the Fly app. I use the same Mini 4 with the GO4 app and that orientation icon has always worked perfect.
That icon is very important if you loose sight of your drone. However, I’ve found that I can switch to the map screen and that shows me the location and orientation of the drone in order to get it facing the correct direction to fly home. Even if the map screen doesn’t show a map, (because you’re out of cell range) it will still show your flight track and correct orientation.
It’s a good idea to try this once before the first time you loose sight and panic.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 10.5 is still a great tablet and was recently updated to Android 10. I'm using it and my Google Pixel 4XL with the DJI Fly app.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 10.5 is still a great tablet and was recently updated to Android 10. I'm using it and my Google Pixel 4XL with the DJI Fly app.
I'm sure both work great but they're way out of my budget...I have a 6.5" phone that works great too but I'm just looking for a little bigger screen.
If I can't find something under $250 I'll just stick with my phone. :)

I'm sure both work great but they're way out of my budget...I have a 6.5" phone that works great too but I'm just looking for a little bigger screen.
If I can't find something under $250 I'll just stick with my phone. :)

You can get a used Tab S4 10.5 in great shape for $250-$275. Swappa is always a good place to find used devices.

GO 4 warns me if my iPad mini 4 compass needs calibration and shows a cal screen. Rotate (facing screen) full circle.
So far, FLY has not. I just calibrate, before flight, when the pointer is wrong.

I just calibrate, before flight, when the pointer is wrong.
? ? ?
If you mean when the drone icon isn't pointing in the same direction as the drone, there should be no need to recalibrate the compass.
Just powering off and moving away from the source of the magnetic interference is all that's required.

? ? ?
If you mean when the drone icon isn't pointing in the same direction as the drone, there should be no need to recalibrate the compass.
Just powering off and moving away from the source of the magnetic interference is all that's required.
Yes, that does correct drone compass. Rarely ever need a “compass calibration “ when displayed, just move. Device compass a different story. Big compass screen that has to be rotated full circle.

Yes, that does correct drone compass.
There's nothing wrong with the compass.
It doesn't need correcting.

The problem in your scenario is the magnetic environment and that's easy to fix.
Calibrating the compass cannot do anything to address the problem.

Reactions: Capt KO
You can get a used Tab S4 10.5 in great shape for $250-$275. Swappa is always a good place to find used devices.
Thanks, you're right I just found a refurbished one for $190...thx again!

Reactions: Capt KO
There's nothing wrong with the compass.
It doesn't need correcting.

The problem in your scenario is the magnetic environment and that's easy to fix.
Calibrating the compass cannot do anything to address the problem.
You are totally correct. Some confusion arose on where and when. I should have stayed on original scenario.

what happens when the directional arrow turns red and flashing, bottom center on your phone,
then returns to white
this has happren several times in about an hour of fly time

what happens when the directional arrow turns red and flashing, bottom center on your phone,
then returns to white
Nothing happens ... your drone still flies as it should.
It's just the orientation indicator not working properly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661