DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I need a compass for DJI Fly?

The inbuilt compass keeps the drone pointing in the right direction. If it fails or is disrupted by a large magnetic object close by you can be toast. if the magnetic interference indicator comes on. move away. If in doubt ascend.
The App will tell you which direction the drone is pointing relative to you and the map. You can toggle the map to full screen and back down into the corner to have a look. Touch it. You can also swap from map to satellite view if you want to really check where you are. I use map. I would say that a compass on your tablet would be distraction. You have all the telemetric info you need on the App. One eye on the drone one of the App. No room for anything else.
Happy flying!

I currently have this one and I'm seriously considering sending it back for a used or refurbished ipad 4 or 5.
The one I have apparently does not have a magnet because the icon at the bottom of the screen that shows one's position in relation to the ac doesn't work.
Do yourself the favor and soup in the mini 4.....Don't get it.... it's way old by today's standard ....apps are just too demanding for it now... It lagged with go 4 a lot and often gave messages about "cpu being over loaded" .....the ipad 2018 9.7 in is great and can edit 4k with Lumafusion no problem same with the ipad mini 5. I have used both of these by the way i just think the mini 5 has the brighter screen so i always gravitated towards that device over the 2018 9.7 in ipad.... Def need a sun shade or whatever those box looking things are that go over the device to block out the sun with that device........ or always find shade :)

Of course you need compass, when the drone is away and out of sight, how you know which direction he is ponied? This is the way to see the orientation of the aircraft. If it is not correct, you need calibration of the compass of the phone/tablet and then it is absolutely fine....

Of course you need compass, when the drone is away and out of sight, how you know which direction he is ponied? This is the way to see the orientation of the aircraft. If it is not correct, you need calibration of the compass of the phone/tablet and then it is absolutely fine....
This is incorrect. Theres been a ton written about this. Calibrating the drone and device does NOT fix the problem For most folks. THATS THE PROBLEM!

And if the orientation icon isn’t working correctly for you, you have to switch screens to the map screen where the orientation of the drone will be correct.

Since it isn’t very accurate I don’t even look at it any more.
Mine was accurate at all but I recalibrated the compass on my cell phone and now the indicator is actually accurate on the fly app

If you lose your drone and your tablet or phone does not have a compass will you still be able to pull up the flight record and see where it landed? I almost lost my MA2 last week and the map showed me exactly where it was. I wish to understand this better as it saved my heart

Do yourself the favor and soup in the mini 4.....Don't get it.... it's way old by today's standard ....apps are just too demanding for it now... It lagged with go 4 a lot and often gave messages about "cpu being over loaded" .....the ipad 2018 9.7 in is great and can edit 4k with Lumafusion no problem same with the ipad mini 5. I have used both of these by the way i just think the mini 5 has the brighter screen so i always gravitated towards that device over the 2018 9.7 in ipad.... Def need a sun shade or whatever those box looking things are that go over the device to block out the sun with that device........ or always find shade :)
Compass is a necessity for aircraft viewing orientation. Latest ipad minis have a self-calibrating compass. Not having a compass increases the risk of aircraft loss especially when flying in the wind when you need to return home as soon as possible, but you may head in the wrong direction because of inaccurate heading info in the app.

Compass is a necessity for aircraft viewing orientation. Latest ipad minis have a self-calibrating compass. Not having a compass increases the risk of aircraft loss especially when flying in the wind when you need to return home as soon as possible, but you may head in the wrong direction because of inaccurate heading info in the app.
True, but if the drone does go down, you don't need a compass to use GPS from your phone and the bird. So I'm not seeing a requirement for a compass-enabled phone/tablet.

The point of the compass is not finding your drone on the ground, it is knowing its orientation in the air. If you don't know this, you can waste valuable battery time flying in the wrong direction when an issue occurs. I have flown both with and without accurate compass and orientation info. The end result was battery time wastage, drone down and frantic run for 15 minutes when no accurate orientation info VS never had a problem now I have accurate info. To me it's simply not worth risking. I live on a pension, my drones cost me a lot of money and I don't want the pain and hassle of loss (no drone insurance here in Australia) vs going home happy every time. Also, setting accurate waypoints etc becomes an uncertainty when flying without an accurate compass

But, each to his own I guess.

True, but if the drone does go down, you don't need a compass to use GPS from your phone and the bird. So I'm not seeing a requirement for a compass-enabled phone/tablet.
There's not much point to the argument.
Almost every phone or tablet has a compass.
I've only run into just a few odd Samsung and Lenovo tablets that don't.

There's not much point to the argument.
Almost every phone or tablet has a compass.
I've only run into just a few odd Samsung and Lenovo tablets that don't.
The thread is asking whether it's necessary, and the answer is no. No argument. Just logic.

Hmm, the indicator at the bottom of the screen is something I've been using lately and find it helpful...I was excited to find this tablet as it is within my price range and I was able to install Fly successfully.
So how much do you guys rely on the indicator at the bottom...it seems to me it would be very important in some scenarios.
I plan on having my 1st flight with this tablet in the morning, I guess I'll find out how much I depend on it.
Thanks very much guys!
In my opinion I think the compass is very important and I use it quite often. Here's a better question: if you were flying a "manned aircraft" would you want a Compass in the cockpit?

In my opinion I think the compass is very important and I use it quite often. Here's a better question: if you were flying a "manned aircraft" would you want a Compass in the cockpit?
My phone has a compass, but the orientation symbol is hit and miss. GPS map provides similar information other than telling you which direction to turn to follow the bird. And that can be easily deduced by turning towards the orange RTH path.
So is the compass useful? Sure. Essential? I'm skeptical.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King