DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I need to register my mini

gary72

Reactions
I am sorry as similar things have been posted but I am slightly confused.
So I have purchased a mini, I live in the uk and will be flying for pleasure.

do I need to register it?
As I believe the law changes from 1st January 2021

I am not sure what I have to do
As it goes on about part 107 or recreational use.

sorry and thanks in advance ?

I can't answer regarding the UK rules. But Part 107 is an American thing from our FAA. I'm sure the UK has something similar.

Reactions: gary72

In the UK: currently you don't need to register, but from 1st Jan you do (so you may as well do it now).
That's because the mini has a camera so even sub 250g drones with a proper camera have to register.

You'll need a flyer ID (free but you have to pass a multiple choice quiz) and an operator ID (£9 fee, valid for a year).
You're supposed to put a label with your ID on the drone.

References to 107 are for the US - not relevant to the UK.

In the UK: currently you don't need to register, but from 1st Jan you do (so you may as well do it now).
That's because the mini has a camera so even sub 250g drones with a proper camera have to register.

You'll need a flyer ID (free but you have to pass a multiple choice quiz) and an operator ID (£9 fee, valid for a year).

In the USA (under FAA)
Do you have to?

Only if it's over 249.9gr or if you are using it for anything other than Hobby.

Any aircraft used for something outside of Hobby must be registered regardless of weight.

The registration is only $5 for 3 years so I highly suggest everyone go ahead and register.

Reactions: shaneb50 and gary72
The test is incredibly easy to pass, and getting the flyer and operator IDs pretty straight forward. I might very slightly begrudge the £9 fee, but if I can afford a drone then I can easily afford that?

I just hand wrote mine on a thin strip of paper that is sellotaped to the top of the drone. The CAA recommend using a label that is removable as your operator ID may change next year when you renew it. The letters need to be min 3mm high which is about the size of typical handwriting.

Reactions: gary72 and BigAl07

You don’t need to but what’s 5 bucks ??‍♂️ Now if I add anything for experimental reasons...... no worry

You don’t need to but what’s 5 bucks ??‍♂️ Now if I add anything for experimental reasons...... no worry
The OP lives in the UK so British rules are the relevant ones to refer to. In 3 weeks' time Brits will need to register, even with a mini, so the OP has done the right thing and registered already ?

Reactions: Brian I and gary72
The test is incredibly easy to pass, and getting the flyer and operator IDs pretty straight forward. I might very slightly begrudge the £9 fee, but if I can afford a drone then I can easily afford that?

I just hand wrote mine on a thin strip of paper that is sellotaped to the top of the drone. The CAA recommend using a label that is removable as your operator ID may change next year when you renew it. The letters need to be min 3mm high which is about the size of typical handwriting.
My op number stayed the same this year from last.
The OP number makes more sense if you have several drones (They all have the same OP number).

Reactions: scro
UK got sensible in specifying how big the text needs to be.

In USA rules say it has to be on the outside, but nothing about size which I thought was strange. Someone is bound to be a wise guy and use micro print.

The answer is no this Drone is under 249 grams which makes it legal to fly in all Countries around the World, you will not have to register the drone.

The answer is no this Drone is under 249 grams which makes it legal to fly in all Countries around the World, you will not have to register the drone.
For now anyway. Next month, could be.
Each country is different. The <250g rule does not apply universally.

Please don't post things like this that are untrue and just add to confusion.
As has been stated above, under the new EASA rules (coming in across the EU and the UK), sub 250g drones with camera (like the mini) will have to register.

In Japan the limit is 200g so you have to register your flights above that level. (There's a special version of the mini that is sub 200g sold only in Japan).

So you need to research the rules in the country you wish to fly.

Well you did say "in all countries around the world" which made us think you weren't just talking about the UK.
Though of course even in the UK you will have to register in 3 weeks time.

I registered my mavic mini 6 months ago even though I didn't need to cos I wanted to anyway. Now that has been sold and I now have a mini 2 ...... do I keep the old flyer id and operater id Or do I need to re do the test for my new mini 2 ?

even though they are the same dimensions physically.... legally they are different serial numbers on the drone getting registered???

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DvrkDrone