DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

do I really want to buy one now? and superbowl restrictions

dipnit

Reactions
I have a hankering to buy a good camera drone and ended up here researching. I was thinking something along the lines of a Mavic air2. Seeing the new FAA regs has me wondering if I am going to end up with something that may be unuseable or need some mods. I am retired and live on a fixed income and want something that I can use for a long time, don't want to have to buy something else to be in compliance. And the state and county regs really limit use on property they own along with the other no fly zones, in addition to the ability to have haters be able to find you are also a concern. And there are a couple of other issues as well. I really got the itch, but not sure at this point as to the feasabiilty of owning one. I would get the 107 cert. So I will continue researching (and there is a ton of stuff to read), and ultimately decide. I want a very good one with a high res fpv capability and don't want to spend over $1000 for one that comes with extra batteries, spare props and the other goodies that come in their upgrade kits. A lot of money for me but I don't want to buy one that won't keep me interested or leaving me wishing I had bought a better one. Then i wouldn't use it and it ends up being a waste of money.

As I was listening to news today they announced that there will be a whopping 30 mile radius no fly zone during the superbowl. That seems excessive. In addition to that the sheriff that was being interviewed warned that they could track violaters via gps. I didn't think that was possible at the current time. Clarification on that would be appreciated.

It would be nice to have one made in the good ol USA, but I have only seen the Spydio, and theirs seem to be either not up to par or to pricey. Parrot drones are made in France, but it seems they are only making the one model now, and a nice one at that but to costly for my budget. are there others made in USA?

While the Skydio2 is assembled in the Bay Area here in California, it has parts from China. I have one, and it takes great videos. However, I would not recommend it for a beginner. $1000 is a lot to spend for your first drone. I would recommend buying a used drone (there are plenty for sale in the Classified section of these forums). Then, if you crash, you won't have wasted so much money. Check out used Mavic Pro or Mavic Pro Platinum drones. They are both excellent drones, with quite a bit of "safety" built-in. And if / when the FAA rules go into effect, you'll still get at least 1-2 years of fun out of them, and will learn a lot.

Reactions: NAVMAV
There are a number of factors to consider here. If you want to ensure that the new rules won't ground you or force you to pay extra later on then the Mavic Mini or the Mini2 are the way to go because they fall under the 250g regulations for RID. I think, but don't hold me to it, that also applies to 107 fliers. Next factor is pricing. Fly More combos pretty much always offer at least some discount compared to piecemealing out but that means maybe not getting 'just the right......' which could be a deal breaker for you. Maybe you don't like the bag in lew of a hard case or don't care about having a battery adaptor to charge your phone. Totally a personal decision buy count out dollars spent separately and see how it works. The Mavic Mini Fly More was an extra $100 but had 2 battiers(90) the hub and charger(~50) propellers(12) prop guards(20) and case(~30 I think). So cheaper for Fly More than just 2 batteries and props but lotsa other really good extras. Think of the propguards as free training wheels to be thrown away if you don't like them and the case as a free place to store everything(minus the propguards) until you decide HOW you want to carry everything. The Mini2 isn't quite as good a value but still better than buying separately( 2 batteries and hub alone equal the FMC price) and the bag is spacious. Best bang for your buck in my opinion though is the MA2 Fly More Combo. Just the 2 batteries cost more than the FMC upgrade. If looking at purely dollars spent vs value received the original Mavic Mini is actually the best BUT its a year old and you don't get the range, speed, camera or wind resistance the you do with the Mini2 or MA2. When doing an apples to apples comparison and you look at the M2(pro or zoom) I personally don't think you're getting twice the experience in spite of it being twice the price of the Mavic Air2. Is it better? No doubt. Better camera, or a real zoom, with more options? Hands down no question. Heavier so that it handles wind a little better? Yes. But when the base MA2 is $800( add $200 for Fly More) and the M2Z is $1300+ or the M2Pro$1500+( add $400 for Fly More) and it really becomes a numbers game. The M2 is going on 3 years old and costs roughly twice the price of the MA2 which came out last May with better flight times and slightly newer or tweaked technology.

Reactions: Aboveitall
New UK regulations make the Mini 2 a good option, as restrictions are minimal because of being under the magical 250g weight. The Mavic Air 2 is heavier.

That said, you can never fly over a major sporting event.

In your situation and considering your concerns, I think you should take a hard look at the Mini 2. I’m sure you have already done your research on how it’s better than the original Mini and it’s under the 250g weight. Don’t forget to get State Farm insurance though as there are no sensors. Best wishes!

As was touched on, the RID doesn't become a requirement until about 2 years from now. You'll be itching for an upgrade by then.
But we suspect DJI will be able to make the Mavics compliant through firmware since the radios are driven by SW. The only stumbling block is requiring transmission of RC position which the current RCs/app depend on the user provided mobile device for GPS. Many tablets don't have GPS.

Alternatively it probably won't be more expensive to get a RID module than to get a GPS tracker. The downside is that VLOS will still be required whereas built-in that sends RC location and inhibits takeoff if disabled may allow BVLOS.

As for
But again, mandatory RID is over 2 years away.

In your situation and considering your concerns, I think you should take a hard look at the Mini 2. I’m sure you have already done your research on how it’s better than the original Mini and it’s under the 250g weight. Don’t forget to get State Farm insurance though as there are no sensors. Best wishes!
Well, thanks to all for your input. I have a couple of little around the house drones that can seldom be flown outside without being blown away. I can zip them around fine, but they are so limited that is what got me wanting more,

So much research, still. And i haven't even looked yet at what it takes to get 107 certified yet.I did waffle between the mini 2 and MA2. But i keep coming back to the MA2 specs which I do like much better, but not there quite yet. And I had not considered insurance protection for damage to others, only wether or not to buy dji's insurance for drone damage. Thanks for that!

It makes me sad America has sent all its manufacturing elsewhere. Even though these have good quality, we always were a standard for quality, and i don't mind paying extra for homemade.

Reactions: jimlips
As for the Superbowl restrictions, that's more for potential terrorists activity and time to react. Not much different than DC. Remember the guy who flew a gyro onto the Whitehouse lawn? Fortunately that was only a benign form of protest, but did show a weakness in defense.

Well dipnit, it already sounds like you have some flying skills. If you can fly those little inside ones, a MA2 will be easy. I revise my suggestion from Mini 2 to MA2 for what it’s worth. I’m always happy to spend someone else’s money ?. Seriously though, if wind is an issue, I understand the MA2 is the way to go. I’m leaning that way myself. The only reason I haven’t pulled the trigger already is the quiet factor of the Mini2.

Reactions: NAVMAV
I have the Mini2 and the Air 2S, honestly the Mini2 handles just as good in wind. It's smaller so you can't see it as far away (I start to lose it at about 800-1000 ft out at about 100' up) but it does really good for the price. It doesn't have as many sensors, but it is GPS enabled so it is super stable in wind. I have flown mine no problems in 10-15 mph winds.

My suggestion is a Mini2, unless you want to be a photographer. The 1" sensor on the A2S/Pro does really well, especially in low light, but if that isn't what your goal is, then the Mini2 is enough, and saves hundreds of dollars. Being under 250g is really nice as well as you will have less regulation. It really depends on the intent of use. I have trouble getting professional quality photos out of my Mini2 but more than enough for Facebook and sharing with family. And being cheaper, in a couple years when you have Part 107 and newer drones are out, and you are proficient in flight, you will want a major upgrade anyway, even from the A2S.

Part 107 isn't too hard to get, just have to be able to read really fine print on sectional maps, and they do provide a magnifying glass (at least my test did).

On the superbowl, all pro sporting events have restrictions. Can you imagine being in a stadium and having 500 drones zipping around overhead, crashing into each other, falling into the stands injuring spectators, on the fields, or having a drone swoop in for an amazing shot at a field goal only to have it blocked and bounced back by a drone! It is temporary though, you could fly the stadium a week before or after (depending on the length of the TFR).

Well dipnit, it already sounds like you have some flying skills. If you can fly those little inside ones, a MA2 will be easy. I revise my suggestion from Mini 2 to MA2 for what it’s worth. I’m always happy to spend someone else’s money ?. Seriously though, if wind is an issue, I understand the MA2 is the way to go. I’m leaning that way myself. The only reason I haven’t pulled the trigger already is the quiet factor of the Mini2.
Hey Dbez1: I have a MA2 and I think it might be quieter than you think. I saw an ad for Stealth propellers that claim a 30% noise reduction and 8% performance improvement. I'd really like to know if that's true. Maybe some other members can reign in on this that have purchased that option. I fly in windy conditions (consistent 15 to 20mph) around my property...no problem with the MA2. I also think that dipnit might just go with a mini2 and call it a day. My friend has one and it takes great video, is easy to use...just lacks a little weight and sensors that my MA2 has (which I got as a gift). Best, Allan

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+