DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do not buy these prop guards (drone crash)

Lazerbrains

Reactions
Not having the best day with my Mini 3 Pro. I ordered a set of prop guards for use indoors from Amazon. My first flight with them I wanted to test them by bumping into a wall. They are so flimsy that when I did the bump, the guards flexed inward causing the blades to strike the guards. Down went the drone and of course it landed right on the gimbal. I now get to see how Care Refresh works.

These are the guards: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B9RGGL1H?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Attachments

• image000000 (19).jpg
    image000000 (19).jpg
    678.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: Torque and Dumeinao
@Lazerbrains sorry to hear about your issues ,just out of interest i went on the DJI store Site to see if they sold Prop guards for the Mini 3 pro ,and there are none listed
the problem with none OEM accessories is the quality of the materials and construction, is more often than not inferior ,whenever a new drone comes out after a short time ,places like amazon and e bay are inundated with such items ,did you notice how many different prop guards there were listed for the Mini 3 pro and the wildly different prices that were being asked ,on the amazon link you shared

Reactions: EyesWideShut
One reason for flying indoors is because the client requires it so indoor flying is not necessarily stupid. I have a set of DJI prop guards for my MINI2 for that reason and they served me well in three jobs last year.
I've looked at guards for my MINI3 PRO but have yet to see a set that I would be happy using. Sorry for your experience but it looks like I was correct to be cautious, hope DJI come up trumps with your claim.
Flying indoors in ATTI mode is a whole new experience and another reason to do it, it improves your control and makes you appreciate what GPS does for you..

Flying commercial indoors is different to a home that's the point I'm aiming at ,I flown in factories and done roof and building checks myself without any problems, thats what the zoom is for but indoors of a home is a no no

@Lazerbrains sorry to hear about your issues ,just out of interest i went on the DJI store Site to see if they sold Prop guards for the Mini 3 pro ,and there are none listed
the problem with none OEM accessories is the quality of the materials and construction, is more often than not inferior ,whenever a new drone comes out after a short time ,places like amazon and e bay are inundated with such items ,did you notice how many different prop guards there were listed for the Mini 3 pro and the wildly different prices that were being asked ,on the amazon link you shared
@old man mavic. Welcome to the Forum!

I did find these ones that DJI makes, but they are currently out of stock.
Looks like a much better design with a full cage around the props.

Reactions: Torque and Chrisr25
The only propguards I have experience with are PGYTECH products. One set for my mavic 2 zoom and the same for mini 3 pro. The M2Z is still flying because they did the job they were designed to do. Work with clients who want interior detail shots of churches and the suchlike. PGYTECH are the only ones I'd consider recommending.

Reactions: Torque
Beats me why anybody wants to fly indoors ,5 years of flying and I've never done it
I have clients that require it. It's easy to do under the right circumstances. And for video, it can do things a boom can't.

All of this is drone work.

I have clients that require it. It's easy to do under the right circumstances. And for video, it can do things a boom can't.

Beautifully done interior work.

Reactions: Vic Moss

So even  if DJI added autonomous waypoints to the M3P, it still could not be used to execute a mission over people by a part 107 pilot flying commercially (not under recreational rules, which prohibit flight over people, no exceptions), as there is no means of sufficiently encapsulating the props to completely eliminate risk of lacerations.

Here is the sort of thing IMO the FAA has in mind regarding acceptable LACK of laceration risk w.r.t. flying over crowds with the April 2021 rule for flying over crowds (I'm serious, not making an over-the-top joke):

A sub 0.55lb (250g) version of that could fail completely and drop from 50 ft onto a crowd with little more than a bad bruise to the victim.

Last edited:
Gorgeous work, Vic! The vertical moves, in particular, really show off the advantages with a drone.

I'd have shot the interior footage with an Avata. There's more than enough light to get quality video with Avata sensor, and the shots you can get because of the ducted props I'd never try with my M3P.

Impressive Vic! I won’t be trying that with my I2, though. 😄
Yeah, pretty sure it would be not be a very good idea with an I2... 😂😂😂

Beautiful video! My wife wants to know if the house is still for sale. :rolleyes: I'm sure I couldn't afford it 😢

• Haha
Beautiful video! My wife wants to know if the house is still for sale. :rolleyes: I'm sure I couldn't afford it 😢
It was built by a Chicago custom home builder to enjoy when he and his family visit Aspen. Value was $6-7M.

But it's not for sale, so I'm sure that's a load off of your mind... 😉

Reactions: jacquespa

Nice work Vic!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan