DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do not fly any drone in Key West

Right out of the Key West city ordinances:

Sec. 26-302. - Prohibitions.

No person may operate a drone, whether or not it has the capability of capturing or transmitting audio, video, or still images within or over the City of Key West, unless the drone operator possesses either a certificate of authorization, a letter of exemption lawfully issued by the Federal Aviation Administration, or unless the operator is using a drone strictly for recreational purposes pursuant to the Federal Aviation Administration Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft cited as 14 CFR Part 91 and attached as Exhibit A.

Last edited:
Did you read what he posted in red?
Seems to me that you can fly in Key West if you operate recreationally....

fyi- @brett8883! You would not be able to even take off anywhere in Key West due to it being in a Controlled Airspace if you fly with Airmap which is my go-to app for flying.
If you all want to take the risk of getting slammed with a 10,000 dollar fine for flying in controlled airspace go ride ahead but at least you can say you were warned

According to the only app I USE for flying my unmanned aircraft is Airmap app.
It clearing shows you and tells you that the entire island is restricted airspace and you can't fly your drone anywhere in Keywest.
The only exception is if is not considers being anY SORT OF sUAS!

Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 9.47.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 9.50.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-12 at 10.33.06 AM.png

Last edited:
fyi- @brett8883! You would not be able to even take off anywhere in Key West due to it being in a Controlled Airspace if you fly with Airmap which is my go-to app for flying.
If you all want to take the risk of getting slammed with a 10,000 dollar fine for flying in controlled airspace go ride ahead but at least you can say you were warned

View attachment 72201

View attachment 72202

If you’d like to learn about how geozones and controlled airspace work there are many great threads on this forum that discuss the matter more basically. There’s also the FAAs drone zone that is a good place to start to learn the basics of controlled airspace and also DJIs flysafe website to learn about how DJIs geozones, which are what can prevent take off, work.

AirMap is a decent resource to quickly consult about an area but it has absolutely nothing to do with your ability to take off. Legally or otherwise.

If you still have questions after consulting those resources you are encouraged to start your own thread and there are many knowledgeable people much more experienced than I am in this area that I know would be eager to help.

Reactions: Order66
If you’d like to learn about how geozones and controlled airspace work there are many great threads on this forum that discuss the matter more basically. There’s also the FAAs drone zone that is a good place to start to learn the basics of controlled airspace and also DJIs flysafe website to learn about how DJIs geozones, which are what can prevent take off, work.

AirMap is a decent resource to quickly consult about an area but it has absolutely nothing to do with your ability to take off. Legally or otherwise.

If you still have questions after consulting those resources you are encouraged to start your own thread and there are many knowledgeable people much more experienced than I am in this area that I know would be eager to help.
I know this is an old thread but it was recently referenced.

Airmap DOES have bearing in flying legally since you can use it to obtain authorization through LAANC. Kittyhawk can also be used for LAANC.

Look man, let's just google youtube Florida keys drone videos and be done with it. This guy obviously didn't know how it's done and try to stop others from doing it.
Best way is to do it James Bond style. You find a time and place where no one's the nosy, fly high, fly quiet, don't show off, take your shots, call home, pack your things like Zohan disassembles a M16.

• Haha
Reactions: Eugenious99
I know this is an old thread but it was recently referenced.

Airmap DOES have bearing in flying legally since you can use it to obtain authorization through LAANC. Kittyhawk can also be used for LAANC.
This IS an old thread and the rules were different then. Now controlled airspace is all that matters. EYW is LAANC enabled now but for Part 107 manual authorizations only and assuming you are outside the special use airspace. Part 107 pilots could also go through FAA drone zone.

Recreational pilots cannot fly here any more full stop.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d