DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do not fly any drone in Key West

Stevenfair

Reactions
Was just stoped by Key West police and told that the FAA permit that I had for flight below 150 feet 4 miles from the airport was no good and they did not care what I had. Had to talk to the 45 mins and finely let go. Be careful

Was just stoped by Key West police and told that the FAA permit that I had for flight below 150 feet 4 miles from the airport was no good and they did not care what I had. Had to talk to the 45 mins and finely let go. Be careful

Are you a 107 pilot? What was the said you couldn’t fly?

Not 107. Just told me that they where making sure I was not up to no good. The flight was over water only but was told not to do it

I'm confused. What "FAA permit" did you have?

Edit: Fly within class D airspace?

Last edited:
Reactions: crlmjohnson
Not 107. Just told me that they where making sure I was not up to no good. The flight was over water only but was told not to do it

We’re you more than 5 miles from an airport (it’s 5 miles not 4) and where did you take off from? Sounds like they were trying to intimidate you. Did they actually detain you? You should report this to the FAA.

They did not detain me. Just talked to me outside our hotel next to the water for 45 min. I do not know what you call the permit but I applied for it and got confirmation that it was ok a month ago on the drone zone site

They did not detain me. Just talked to me outside our hotel next to the water for 45 min. I do not know what you call the permit but I applied for it and got confirmation that it was ok a month ago on the drone zone site
Did you have to wait for the confirmation or was it instant? Are you from outside the US? At any rate that’s not local law enforcements concern. Did you take off from the beach?

So you applied for a permit that you dont know the name of???

None of this makes any sense. The only "permits" available from the FAA DroneZone site are authorizations/waivers for Part 107 pilots working outside the LAANC system. Those are not available to non-Part 107 pilots.

I am confused... more detail please... what FAA permit is issued to a 336 pilot? We’re you flying when police approached?

How do you know he wasn't doing anything wrong?, he posted nonsense about a permit and doesnt even know what he signed up for.
I haven’t heard anything being done that was wrong or any reason given to why they told him to stop.If local LE didn’t cite him for anything then I can assume they couldn’t find anything either.

Lol, 6 posts.

I don't want to insinuate your someone who lives in the area who doesn't like drones spinning a tail but...

Like Thomas B said. You cant say something like that without details, bcuz you could be just that.
You didn't even say what you were flying or why, or why they came to be there?

Police dont keep FAA 107 on their dash running around looking for "Drone Law Breakers" ime

edit: just post your log

So they found out your doing nothing wrong , let you go and that was that. so why are you posting here warning us? If we do nothing wrong we have nothing to worry about.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78