DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do not fly any drone in Key West

So they found out your doing nothing wrong , let you go and that was that. so why are you posting here warning us? If we do nothing wrong we have nothing to worry about.

They didn’t necessarily find he "did nothing wrong." There are several NFZs in the Florida Keys.

Reactions: BigAl07
Is it possible that Key West requires some type of "Permit" for Photography businesses etc???

**Never mind I see where he said he got an FAA permit from DroneZone.... something isn't adding up here.

Is it possible that Key West requires some type of "Permit" for Photography businesses etc???

**Never mind I see where he said he got an FAA permit from DroneZone.... something isn't adding up here.
Good Call
Drones must have a permit in Key West

KEY WEST CITIZENNovember 20, 2018

With the Truman Waterfront Park open and Key West entering its busy event season, the Key West Police Department reminds the community that the FAA has very strict restrictions against flying drones over the island.
Due to safety concerns regarding the airport and military operations, any drone operation in Key West air space must be permitted by the FAA. Drone operation is strictly prohibited over or near military installations; operators can be fined and drones confiscated for single offenses.
For information, go to FAA: Airspace Restrictions.

So I thought that 101E Pilots could fly in class D as long as they are more than 5 miles from an airport. Is this something more that that? Or is it just that Key West is so small everywhere is within 5 miles?

The OP claims to have received a waiver and seems to have described the waiver process and sounds like plausible waiver restrictions 150 ft AGL no less than 4 miles from the airport. Could have have accidentally issued a waiver to a 101 pilot?

So I thought that 101E Pilots could fly in class D as long as they are more than 5 miles from an airport. Is this something more that that? Or is it just that Key West is so small everywhere is within 5 miles?

The OP claims to have received a waiver and seems to have described the waiver process and sounds like plausible waiver restrictions 150 ft AGL no less than 4 miles from the airport. Could have have accidentally issued a waiver to a 101 pilot?
see post 23

I haven't used the Part 107 dashboard for waivers or authorizations recently but, looking through it, I'm not seeing where the system checks to see that the applicant does have a Part 107 certification. Previously you had to submit your Part 107 number with an application. I must be missing something, otherwise anyone can register under the Part 107 section and apply for waivers and authorizations. Perhaps the checks are done at the other end.

Just be careful. Almost ruined vacation
Um, there is no "permit" to fly within 5 miles of an airport for recreational (Section 336) pilots. Your Section 336 registration only registers you with the FAA and allows you to operate your drone in the USA. You still must follow all of the rules, regulations, and guidelines. One of those guidelines is that you cannot fly within 5 miles of an airport unless you notify the tower at that airport.

So if you were only 4 miles from the airport and did not notify the tower, then the police officers were absolutely correct.

If however, you are a commercial (Part 107) pilot and properly obtained LAANC authorization then they had no business hassling you.

Reactions: drakkor
That's not an airspace class issue if he was within the national security NFZ shown in the graphic above.

First of all I’m not arguing. I know you know what you are talking about and I don’t so don’t take any of this that way I’m just trying to educate myself and I appreciate your willingness to help as always.

Looking at it more closely everywhere in Key west is within 5 miles of an airport so here’s my question:

You we’re saying here it’s a National Security NFZ but on AirMap and B4UFly it just says it’s class D airspace and even the page you show says “airspace: D.”

So what I am confused about is as a 101 pilot can you notify the airport to fly there or this “DOD NFZ” a blanket “need an FAA waiver to fly there full stop ” in which case technically part 101 can’t fly there at all?

How is this airspace different then let’s say the NFZ around Washington DC? And I thought I remembered you saying in the past at one time the FAA had on their website that 101E Pilots need clearance for Class D but the law for recreational pilots only covers 5 miles from an airport and doesn’t require 101E pilots from knowing or understanding airspace so there were instances where part 101E pilots could fly without further action needed but a 107 pilot would need a waiver or LAANC authorization(class B but more than 5 miles from airport for example.) and that at some point they took down the class d mention on the 101E requirements?

AirMap, B4UFly, or DJI Geozones don’t show this “National Security NFZ” other then a few isolated “military zones.” Is there something else that is not showing up on here that you’ve found? 7050770508

Got more info. The city of Key West has a no drone policy with in their city limits. I just checked their web site and it is illegal to fly a drone anywhere

Reactions: baritony
It was my mistake
First of all I apologize on behalf of myself and everyone else that thought you didn’t know what you were talking about, looks like you stumbled on a very complicated area.

However, I couldn’t find any “no drone policy” for the City of Key West. I did however find the Key West city ordinance for UAVs Municode Library

ARTICLE VI. - UNMANNED AIRCRAFT
  • Sec. 26-300. - Purpose and intent.
    It is the purpose of this article to provide the residents and visitors of the City of Key West protection from invasions of privacy, and reckless operation over crowded areas, due to the rapid implementation of drone technology being put into use by individuals and business entities. The unregulated use of drones also poses a significant public safety concern to individuals and property on the ground and other nearby aircraft in the event of malfunction, operator negligence, loss of control, or other inability to sustain flight as intended. Nothing in this ordinance is intended to prevent, prohibit, or regulate any type of drone or remote controlled model aircraft that are otherwise permitted by the FAA for recreational use, or any operator who lawfully possesses a Certificate of Authorization or Letter of Exemption issued by the FAA.
    (Ord. No. 16-02, § 1, 2-17-2016)
  • Sec. 26-301. - Definitions.
    The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this article, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this article, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
    Drone means any powered, aerial vehicle, that is either fixed wing or rotor-operated, that does not carry a human being, which uses aerodynamic forces to provide the vehicle with lift, that can fly autonomously or be piloted remotely, and that can be expendable or recoverable.
  • Sec. 26-302. - Prohibitions.
    No person may operate a drone, whether or not it has the capability of capturing or transmitting audio, video, or still images within or over the City of Key West, unless the drone operator possesses either a certificate of authorization, a letter of exemption lawfully issued by the Federal Aviation Administration, or unless the operator is using a drone strictly for recreational purposes pursuant to the Federal Aviation Administration Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft cited as 14 CFR Part 91 and attached as Exhibit A.
  • Sec. 26-303. - Penalty.
    There shall be one verbal or written warning for any first time offender of this article provided that compliance is immediately achieved. Subsequent violations of this article shall be punished consistent with section 1-15 of the Code of Ordinances for the City of Key West.

So looks like wherever you read that didn’t understand what they were talking about. Now you might have still needed a FAA waiver(waiting to hear back on that) but sounds like you might have even had one.

Do you have that still can you post a picture of it please?

Sec. 26-302. - Prohibitions.
No person may operate a drone, whether or not it has the capability of capturing or transmitting audio, video, or still images within or over the City of Key West, unless the drone operator possesses either a certificate of authorization, a letter of exemption lawfully issued by the Federal Aviation Administration, or unless the operator is using a drone strictly for recreational purposes pursuant to the Federal Aviation Administration Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft cited as 14 CFR Part 91 and attached as Exhibit A.

So basically this ordinance is totally useless. It only restates what is already enforced by FAA regulations. Either you need to be flying purely for recreational purposes (and as such need to notify the tower), or if flying commercially you must have LAANC authorization or a waiver.

So looks like wherever you read that didn’t understand what they were talking about. Now you might have still needed a FAA waiver(waiting to hear back on that) but sounds like you might have even had one.

No affirmative response from the OP on what type of flight this was. AirMap screenshot shows "Fly for Fun", but original post says that he obtained some sort of "permit". I'm still confused on what that was.

Reactions: dawgpilot
So basically this ordinance is totally useless. It only restates what is already enforced by FAA regulations. Either you need to be flying purely for recreational purposes (and as such need to notify the tower), or if flying commercially you must have LAANC authorization or a waiver.

No affirmative response from the OP on what type of flight this was. AirMap screenshot shows "Fly for Fun", but original post says that he obtained some sort of "permit". I'm still confused on what that was.

Lol that’s what I was gonna say. The exclusions cover every possible situation. The entire island of Key west is covered by class D airspace and is with in 5 miles of an airport(or is a military base) and so yes the ordinance is pointless lol

First of all I’m not arguing. I know you know what you are talking about and I don’t so don’t take any of this that way I’m just trying to educate myself and I appreciate your willingness to help as always.

Looking at it more closely everywhere in Key west is within 5 miles of an airport so here’s my question:

You we’re saying here it’s a National Security NFZ but on AirMap and B4UFly it just says it’s class D airspace and even the page you show says “airspace: D.”

So what I am confused about is as a 101 pilot can you notify the airport to fly there or this “DOD NFZ” a blanket “need an FAA waiver to fly there full stop ” in which case technically part 101 can’t fly there at all?
This shows the problems with only relying on the Aimap, DJI Go4, et.al The red outlined areas (not the grids) are Security Sensitive Facilities.
---------------------------
Drones are prohibited from flying over designated national security sensitive facilities. Operations are prohibited from the ground up to 400 feet above ground level, and apply to all types and purposes of UAS flight operations. Examples of these locations are:

Military bases designated as Department of Defense facilities
National landmarks – Statue of Liberty, Hoover Dam, Mt. Rushmore
Certain critical infrastructure, such as nuclear power plants

The FAA, pursuant to Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) § 99.7, Special security instructions (SSI), has prohibited all UAS flight operations within the airspace defined under NOTAM FDC 7/7282.

Specific locations are described in the table and on the interactive map [FAA UAS Facility Maps] provided on this website. The TFRs extend from the surface up to 400 feet Above Ground Level (AGL), apply to all types and purposes of UAS flight operations, and remain in effect 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

These TFRs are established within the lateral boundaries of these facilities and extend from surface to 400 feet Above Ground Level (AGL). These TFRs apply to all UAS operations specifically including:
· Public aircraft operations conducted in accordance with a Certificate of Authorization or Waiver (COA).
· Civil aircraft operations (other than model aircraft), including those conducted in accordance with a COA and those conducted in accordance with the FAA’s small UAS Rule, 14 CFR Part 107.
· Model Aircraft operations conducted in accordance with 14 CFR Part 101, Subpart E.

UAS operators must comply with these flight restrictions in addition to all other applicable Federal Aviation Regulations, including but not limited to, requirements to secure an FAA airspace authorization and/or waiver prior to flying in the airspace where a TFR is in effect.
-----------------------

Lol that’s what I was gonna say. The exclusions cover every possible situation. The entire island of Key west is covered by class D airspace and is with in 5 miles of an airport(or is a military base) and so yes the ordinance is pointless lol
Politicians always need something to do so that they feel important :p

How is this airspace different then let’s say the NFZ around Washington DC? And I thought I remembered you saying in the past at one time the FAA had on their website that 101E Pilots need clearance for Class D but the law for recreational pilots only covers 5 miles from an airport and doesn’t require 101E pilots from knowing or understanding airspace so there were instances where part 101E pilots could fly without further action needed but a 107 pilot would need a waiver or LAANC authorization(class B but more than 5 miles from airport for example.) and that at some point they took down the class d mention on the 101E requirements?

AirMap, B4UFly, or DJI Geozones don’t show this “National Security NFZ” other then a few isolated “military zones.” Is there something else that is not showing up on here that you’ve found?

The description box is referring to the shaded area which, as mentioned above, is a UAS-restricted area by FAA agreement. It's not the Class D airspace and altitude grid, although it does note that it is in Class D airspace.

If this were just Class D then a hobbyist could call the airport (if within 5 miles) and fly, but there is no mechanism for a hobbyist to fly in a security NFZ.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scott911