DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Detained by Police, Threatened with Arrest!

My biggest complaint, is that this entire story is written in the present tense. Anything written about the past requires it to be written in the past tense.
Really! Where are standards these days?
Elderly Brit having a Hissy Fit.
Oh, let's calm that down, shall we? Stare at this for a minute:

SJM-L-CORONATION-0430-9-2.jpg

This is from the Scrumptious F&C food truck, an exceptional gem as Food Trucks go. Started by a Brit couple that wanted to bring authentic, top notch traditional F&C to America:

l.jpg

Their batter, with a hint of curry, is amazing! They also serve battered shrimp, actually my favorite, and delicious bangers too.

If anyone finds themselves in the Santa Cruz, CA area you must check them out!!! FIND US | scrumptiousfc

Because they're new, didn't know about TRUST, and are trying to learn.

Why would any experienced, knowledgeable pilot criticize harmless mistakes by a new pilot rather than take the opportunity to welcome and educate them?

Seems a more effective way to head off future disaster.
"trying to learn"?....looked like there was plenty of attitude in that thread-starter

and I disagree....this wasn't a "harmless mistake"...this was an irresponsible mistake. There's a difference between the two of those things. Just because no harm was done in this particular instance doesn't make it harmless, any more than driving 60MPH thru a school zone would be harmless if no child was injured

the OP didn't say...was this for instance a 2 pound Mavic 3 he was flying over the heads of a crowd of people? How can somebody not be aware of the danger? Maybe somebody who is not aware of gravity I suppose?

Oh, let's calm that down, shall we? Stare at this for a minute:

SJM-L-CORONATION-0430-9-2.jpg

This is from the Scrumptious F&C food truck, an exceptional gem as Food Trucks go. Started by a Brit couple that wanted to bring authentic, top notch traditional F&C to America:

l.jpg

Their batter, with a hint of curry, is amazing! They also serve battered shrimp, actually my favorite, and delicious bangers too.

If anyone finds themselves in the Santa Cruz, CA area you must check them out!!! FIND US | scrumptiousfc
OMG!

My saliva glands are working overtime. That looks absolutely delicious!!!!

Reactions: JBJO
My biggest complaint, is that this entire story is written in the present tense. Anything written about the past requires it to be written in the past tense.
Really! Where are standards these days?
Elderly Brit having a Hissy Fit.
It is indeed ironic that as the capabilities of communication hardware systems has expanded exponentially, the ability of human beings to form coherent sentences and follow simple language structure has eroded so badly.

Reactions: Drbobk
In Nevada what type of permit is required? I've never heard of such a thing. I have my drone registered with the FAA and keep a copy of the registration in my wallet. Also, what law says I cannot fly over people or crowds? Need some clarrification? And Yes I'm a new drone owner.

I've never been treated like this by the cops before. They had me detained for 45 mins telling me I was going to jail for a few gross misdemeanors.

The posted link has links to the 4 approved CBO’s for recreational pilots (and the link to §44809 is on that page). You can choose any one of the 4 to follow for any particular flight. I have not found any one of those that allow overflight of an open air assembly of people.

I am only providing a link to information you need to know as a recreational drone pilot.

Local police are the enforcement arm of the FAA just to clear that up. If you take the TRUST test it will also help explain things you need to know.

"trying to learn"?....looked like there was plenty of attitude in that thread-starter

and I disagree....this wasn't a "harmless mistake"...this was an irresponsible mistake.

I agree, it was irresponsible.

However, "harmless" is a pretty simple word and concept. you say (quote) "this wasn't a 'harmless mistake'".

Okay. What harm was caused?

Reactions: rickmurray1989
I was visiting family in Nevada today. There was a large outdoor fair going on, so I decided to fly my drone overhead. I was approx 0.5 miles away sitting on the hood of my car operating the drone. Well 10 mins later 3 police cars swoop in around me as does a security company ATV. This guy in no uniform jumps out of the ATV and yells "here he is, here is this a-hole!!!". I threw my controller on my car seat. He approaches me very aggressive and he shoves me over the hood of my car with his hand against my chest. He then opens my car door and takes my controller (turns out he was not even a policeman he was a security guard!). Two uniformed policemen stand me up and start interrogating me. The tell me they are confiscating my drone. I ask if I've done anything illegal and they said "yes". The told me that in order to fly below 250' or over people, I need a permit. Then the security guard tells me that they are reporting me to the FAA for not having a "107 license". WTF is that? I registered my drone with the FAA and have my registration on me but don't have any "107 license". I was not doing anything commercial. I asked the policemen what statutes I violated. They immediately got on their phones and computers. 15 mins later they tell me two statutes, which they say are gross misdemeanors. I asked for the statutes numbers, which they gave me. When I got home I looked the statutes up... one is for catching fish that are too small and the other is for littering. WTF!!?? After 30 mins they gave me my drone back. Before sending me on my way they tell me "just get a permit, then you can fly anywhere and over people". They also told me they are reporting me to the FAA for being unsafe.

And the best part, as I was leaving to go into my car the one cop tells me that drones emit signals and the police watch all drone activity in real time.

What's the deal with these cops man? Are any type of permits required?

I strongly suspect this is clickbait, but given reasonable doubt you still need education in lawful drone operations.

From your description you were breaking at least one rule and that is flying beyond Visual Line of Sight. At 1/2 mile away most DJI drones would not be visible to the naked eye.

A recreational pilot now has to follow the rules of a Community Based Organization and I am not aware of any that allow you to fly over crowds such as the fair.

If this story is true you have a case for assault and battery by the security guard that manhandled you before the uniformed police arrived.

If this thread goes off the rails it will be closed down. So everyone measure your responses to this thread.
Clickbait.

I was visiting family in Nevada today. There was a large outdoor fair going on, so I decided to fly my drone overhead. I was approx 0.5 miles away sitting on the hood of my car operating the drone. Well 10 mins later 3 police cars swoop in around me as does a security company ATV. This guy in no uniform jumps out of the ATV and yells "here he is, here is this a-hole!!!". I threw my controller on my car seat. He approaches me very aggressive and he shoves me over the hood of my car with his hand against my chest. He then opens my car door and takes my controller (turns out he was not even a policeman he was a security guard!). Two uniformed policemen stand me up and start interrogating me. The tell me they are confiscating my drone. I ask if I've done anything illegal and they said "yes". The told me that in order to fly below 250' or over people, I need a permit. Then the security guard tells me that they are reporting me to the FAA for not having a "107 license". WTF is that? I registered my drone with the FAA and have my registration on me but don't have any "107 license". I was not doing anything commercial. I asked the policemen what statutes I violated. They immediately got on their phones and computers. 15 mins later they tell me two statutes, which they say are gross misdemeanors. I asked for the statutes numbers, which they gave me. When I got home I looked the statutes up... one is for catching fish that are too small and the other is for littering. WTF!!?? After 30 mins they gave me my drone back. Before sending me on my way they tell me "just get a permit, then you can fly anywhere and over people". They also told me they are reporting me to the FAA for being unsafe.

And the best part, as I was leaving to go into my car the one cop tells me that drones emit signals and the police watch all drone activity in real time.

What's the deal with these cops man? Are any type of permits required???
1/2 miles away? Hardly VLOS.

Just because no harm was done in this particular instance doesn't make it harmless, any more than driving 60MPH thru a school zone would be harmless if no child was injured
I'm not able to follow your verbiage. Please explain the logic in this statement: "Just because no harm was done in this particular instance doesn't make it harmless".

That seems to me to be the very definition of harmless.

Now, just because no harm was done doesn't mean there was nothing wrong with it. As you've pointed out, it was rather irresponsible. Important rules were broken.

There's nothing to be gained, other than argument, by claiming fiction.

Reactions: rickmurray1989

What's the deal with these cops man? Are any type of permits required???
Easy answer here... You're in California... an LA which is even worse.

Reactions: Torque
So.....first off, I live in Las Vegas. Second, I am a retired police officer. Third, this story seems a little off to me. I have had run in's before with private security here and they never have seized my property or searched my car etc. That would fall into felony burglary if they entered your vehicle without permission. They are not police, nor can the police search your car without probable cause. Second, if they used force or fear to take the drone, that's felony robbery. I doubt that happened. Are there drone spotters and electronic equipment that spots drones in Las Vegas, yes there is. The entire Las Vegas Strip has that technology. They know where the controller is and can locate you very easily. I have had negative experiences with private security out here several times when I fly but nothing like this story. The police out here have talked to me on several times due to idiots calling the police on me when I go out and fly. The police have never given me any problems once I explain myself to them and show them my 107 certification. This guy's story is all over the place which either means he was still upset by it or lying since he cannot keep his story straight.
20 years here.... its absolute garbage...(in addition to the amendment violations you cite..) They would be violating his civil rights with the order of events in which the fictitious writer describes.. . It does not take an old crusty leo like myself and vegasdronepilot to spot.. That is learned in the academy. Sounds like the original complainant watched too many sovereign citizen videos.

I’m not saying you did or didn’t do the wrong thing flying but if you tossed your controller in your car I have to wonder if you felt you were doing something shady. If I’m being approached for doing nothing wrong I am confident as they arrive and simply ask how I can help them. Imagine, if you had your 107 when they asked they would have let you do whatever you wanted, which is interesting.
I think he was getting rid of the controller to free up his hands so he could defend himself against the aggressively approaching security guard. Once he pushed me, I would have put him on the ground.

I think he was getting rid of the controller to free up his hands so he could defend himself against the aggressively approaching security guard. Once he pushed me, I would have put him on the ground.

Might want to think through that planned response to a group that includes two armed police officers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque and mavictk
Nope , This is normal in the USA. Thank God it wasn’t a traffic stop then they could have shot him. When he threw the controller in the car they had reasonable cause to search it.
Not a lawyer here. Once he threw the controller in the car I would have though the cops would need a warrant or claim exigent circumstances to get the controller. When the security guard removes it from the car it would seemingly be a theft. Now, when the security guard (illegally) removes it from the car and gives it to the cops have the cops done anything wrong?

Not a lawyer here. Once he threw the controller in the car I would have though the cops would need a warrant or claim exigent circumstances to get the controller. When the security guard removes it from the car it would seemingly be a theft. Now, when the security guard (illegally) removes it from the car and gives it to the cops have the cops done anything wrong?
It turns out the 'security guard' was an off duty cop and therefore still have peace officer power. As the controller was in plain sight on the seat of my car, that established probable cause and a warrant is not needed. Cops can search your car if they see evidence of a crime in plain sight (so says the US Supreme Court).

DoomMesiter, can you say more on this. A state police officer is not licensed to enforce federal law, right?
I was in compliance with all Fed laws. I asked the same question on another board as well. State level cops cannot enforce federal laws unless the fed laws provide as such.

• Haha
The security guard was an off duty cop. He had no visible badge or ID card. Had I nailed his *** to the ground when his uniformed cop buddies showed up, my *** would have been pounded into the ground.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78