DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do not fly any drone in Key West

That's a different question completely. So they don't have to contact local airports, for example?

You misunderstood in your repeated assertion that the rules for recreational flying are necessarily the same whether or not you are Part 107 certified. If a Part 107 pilot chooses to fly recreationally under Part 101 then the rules are the same. But if a Part 107 pilot chooses to fly recreationally under Part 107 then the rules are different. I cannot see what possible ambiguity there is here, so I'm not sure why you are still arguing an incorrect interpretation.

I guess the answer to that would simply be logic. I’m not trying to argue any point. I just don’t understand why someone would say they are commercially certified when they are just flying as a hobbyist.

I think a lot of people want to justify the time and expense they spent to be part 107 certified. A reality check would show that not that many non commercial (actually getting paid jobs) pilots really care about it. The OP wants some more recognition or perks as he calls them.

Part 107 was created for a purpose. Being an ego booster or to fly recreationally was not that purpose.

I guess the answer to that would simply be logic. I’m not trying to argue any point. I just don’t understand why someone would say they are commercially certified when they are just flying as a hobbyist.

I think a lot of people want to justify the time and expense they spent to be part 107 certified. A reality check would show that not that many non commercial (actually getting paid jobs) pilots really care about it. The OP wants some more recognition or perks as he calls them.

Part 107 was created for a purpose. Being an ego booster or to fly recreationally was not that purpose.

And again you have completely misunderstood 14 CFR Part 107. It's not an additional qualification - it is the overriding and primary law on all sUAS use. Part 101 is the exception - carved out for the specific purpose of relieving purely recreational pilots from having to comply with Part 107.

Anything that you want to do with an sUAS that is not entirely recreational falls under Part 107. That includes commercial work, but also any volunteer work such as search and rescue, or unpaid work that supports a business. It comes mostly with additional restrictions and requirements but does relax the notification requirements around airports in Class G airspace, which is one reason why a Part 107 pilot would choose to fly recreationally under Part 107. It has nothing to do with ego. At this point I do not see how you possibly cannot understand that, and you seem to be arguing just to avoid conceding that your previous post was incorrect.

Last edited:
I'm curious, if this is the case why geofencing would not have kicked in and labeled it as an NFZ, I am in a fringe area outside and then between two airports even though it shows I'm in clear zone I get stopped all the time by NFZ. Some days I cannot get cleared at all.

I'm curious, if this is the case why geofencing would not have kicked in and labeled it as an NFZ, I am in a fringe area outside and then between two airports even though it shows I'm in clear zone I get stopped all the time by NFZ. Some days I cannot get cleared at all.
The NFZ technology in the Go4 app is not perfect. We all know there are errors in both directions. That is why it is important for all pilots to know the airspace around them (check the actual VFR sectional charts), as well as any TFRs and NOTAMs that have been issued.

Reactions: Order66

What ego booster? You are the only one who brought up ego. Part 107 allows you to fly under either set of rules, based on your needs that day. You don't need to make money in order to get value out of 107 licensing.

More importantly, it gives the Part 107 pilot a better understanding of the NAS and how to navigate within it. Yes the licensing process could use lots of improvement but overall it makes for safer UAS pilots. If nothing else, it shows that the pilot made the investment in time, effort, and money to learn about how to safely fly a drone. That in itself is much more than can be said for anyone who just goes to Best Buy, purchases a Phantom, and starts flying without a clue of how to fly safely.

Was just stoped by Key West police for no good reason and they did not care what I had. Had to talk to the local cops for 45 mins and finely when away.
Ok
I need to know what was the final police you discussion that allowed you to go about your business.
What was said to let you go?
I do not need the full 45 min stuff but need the last few conversations that did the trick to stop this.

And again you have completely misunderstood 14 CFR Part 107. It's not an additional qualification - it is the overriding and primary law on all sUAS use. Part 101 is the exception - carved out for the specific purpose of relieving purely recreational pilots from having to comply with Part 107.

Anything that you want to do with an sUAS that is not entirely recreational falls under Part 107. That includes commercial work, but also any volunteer work such as search and rescue, or unpaid work that supports a business. It comes mostly with additional restrictions and requirements but does relax the notification requirements around airports in Class G airspace, which is one reason why a Part 107 pilot would choose to fly recreationally under Part 107. It has nothing to do with ego. At this point I do not see how you possibly cannot understand that, and you seem to be arguing just to avoid conceding that your previous post was incorrect.

Sir, I will concede to your vast knowledge and wisdom of Part 107 along with all the unlikely hypothetical situations to which you say it will apply. However what you seem to fail to understand is that as a recreational drone user, my Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 are nothing more than a flying platforms for photography and videography. Myself, along with the vast majority of recreational drone users, don’t really give a **** about Part 107. If we don’t need it why get it?
That sir is and was my only point.

Sir, I will concede to your vast knowledge and wisdom of Part 107 along with all the unlikely hypothetical situations to which you say it will apply. However what you seem to fail to understand is that as a recreational drone user, my Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 are nothing more than a flying platforms for photography and videography. Myself, along with the vast majority of recreational drone users, don’t really give a **** about Part 107. If we don’t need it why get it?

He’s making the point that there are some situations where 107 pilots have less hassle to deal with then 336 recreational pilots.

He’s also trying to explain to you that your 336 registration allows you to fly recreationally and nothing else. So if your neighbor asks you to fly your drone above his house to check for a leak in his roof, under the letter of the law, you would be in violation of the law if you were to do it if you only have a 336 recreational registration. I’m not saying it makes sense I’m just saying how it is.

So you can see that it doesn’t have to only be for commercial purposes that you need a 107 license. In my neighbors roof example, even though you were providing the service free of charge you provided a service to your neighbor none the less and weren’t doing it for your own personally enjoyment. Therefore it is not recreational and you don’t have the proper license to fly that mission.

Now is anybody ever gonna find out? No probably not. But that’s the law.

What ego booster? You are the only one who brought up ego. Part 107 allows you to fly under either set of rules, based on your needs that day. You don't need to make money in order to get value out of 107 licensing.

More importantly, it gives the Part 107 pilot a better understanding of the NAS and how to navigate within it. Yes the licensing process could use lots of improvement but overall it makes for safer UAS pilots. If nothing else, it shows that the pilot made the investment in time, effort, and money to learn about how to safely fly a drone. That in itself is much more than can be said for anyone who just goes to Best Buy, purchases a Phantom, and starts-now flying without a clue of how to fly safely.

Just a reality check. You’re not a Pilot! If you want to fancy yourself as one because you have a remote control quad copter with a camera on it then that’s your fantasy and your right to have it. These drone laws are ridiculous and based on fear and ignorance. And people such as yourself feed into it. Flying a Mavic drone requires absolutely no special skill sets. On the other hand taking great video and pictures does. I suggest you spend your time, energy, and money on that, then you will at least have a reason for owning a Mavic. It’s what they were made for.

Individuals such as yourself who seem to think that buying a certificate with wasted time and money makes you better than others exemplifies my point about egos. Hence your statement
[/QUOTE] That in itself is much more than can be said for anyone who just goes to Best Buy, purchases a Phantom, and starts-now flying without a clue of how to fly safely.
[/QUOTE]

By the way, when you first bought a drone did you already know how to fly it and did you have your all important Part 107 certificate? No! I didn’t think so.

Learning to become a good photographer/videographer can take a lifetime. DJI drones are simply platforms for cameras. Stop waiving your certificate as if were something special, and buy a book on photography. Actually learn something you can be proud of and what these drones were made for. Nobody is going to say “Wow, he’s part 107 certified!” On the other hand if you actually learn something they may say “wow, what a great picture”

Thank you for helping me with my reference to egos.?

Then you should have made that point and moved on, rather than trying to insist that Part 107 did not apply to recreational flight. If you don't want or need the certification then good for you. And while you obviously couldn't resist still trying to score points with your "all the unlikely hypothetical situations to which you say it will apply" comment, they are neither unlikely nor hypothetical since many Part 107 pilots do exactly those things.

Just a reality check. You’re not a Pilot! If you want to fancy yourself as one because you have a remote control quad copter with a camera on it then that’s your fantasy and your right to have it. These drone laws are ridiculous and based on fear and ignorance. And people such as yourself feed into it. Flying a Mavic drone requires absolutely no special skill sets. On the other hand taking great video and pictures does. I suggest you spend your time, energy, and money on that, then you will at least have a reason for owning a Mavic. It’s what they were made for.

Individuals such as yourself who seem to think that buying a certificate with wasted time and money makes you better than others exemplifies my point about egos. Hence your statement
That in itself is much more than can be said for anyone who just goes to Best Buy, purchases a Phantom, and starts-now flying without a clue of how to fly safely.
[/QUOTE]

By the way, when you first bought a drone did you already know how to fly it and did you have your all important Part 107 certificate? No! I didn’t think so.

Learning to become a good photographer/videographer can take a lifetime. DJI drones are simply platforms for cameras. Stop waiving your certificate as if were something special, and buy a book on photography. Actually learn something you can be proud of and what these drones were made for. Nobody is going to say “Wow, he’s part 107 certified!” On the other hand if you actually learn something they may say “wow, what a great picture”

[/QUOTE]

Your seem very obsessed with Part 107 and ego, to the point that this is starting to look like some kind of weird inferiority complex. Did it escape you that the FAA itself refers to these as pilot certifications? Perhaps you should contact them to explain that they are wrong.

Actually, I did.
Please don't pretend everyone did it your way. Part 107 is important to many, apparently not to you. No need to trash those who use it for the right reasons. You DO tend to sound like you've got an inferiority complex. I, on the other hand, feel confident and secure knowing I'm doing things the right way. Not superior to you, just correct.
You do you, I'll do me.

I always amazes me when drone pilots are intimidated into federal airspace by local "authorities." The airspace through out the entire US is the exclusive purvue of the FAA. Of course, local municipalities and states may pass laws, but unless those laws are OK'd by the FAA, those local lawmakers are overstepping their authority. The US does not have a patchwork of locally enforced airspace. There can be nothing that the FAA doesn't know about.

I always amazes me when drone pilots are intimidated into federal airspace by local "authorities." The airspace through out the entire US is the exclusive purvue of the FAA. Of course, local municipalities and states may pass laws, but unless those laws are OK'd by the FAA, those local lawmakers are overstepping their authority. The US does not have a patchwork of locally enforced airspace. There can be nothing that the FAA doesn't know about.

I think the "patchwork" is more about how the local authorities can restrict where drones can take-off and land. This effectively controls drone flying activities within their boundaries.

Then you should have made that point and moved on, rather than trying to insist that Part 107 did not apply to recreational flight. If you don't want or need the certification then good for you. And while you obviously couldn't resist still trying to score points with your "all the unlikely hypothetical situations to which you say it will apply" comment, they are neither unlikely nor hypothetical since many Part 107 pilots do exactly those things.

Keep drinking the cool aid! All these rules, regulations, certifications, and real or imagined situations are nonsense. These drones are nothing more than camera platforms, they cause no real threat or harm to anyone, they do not require any special skill set, and all your doing is feeding into the governments need to regulate. My point is and never was about the technical aspect about Part 107. It’s about not needing it in the first place.

In my opinion, and in my opinion only, all these drone rules and regulations are ridiculous and based on ignorance and fears. But hey, you get your certificate framed, hang it on the wall, and call yourself a pilot. I just want to take aerial photography and enjoy my hobby. I don’t need a certificate to tell me not to do something stupid.

Keep drinking the cool aid! All these rules, regulations, certifications, and real or imagined situations are nonsense. These drones are nothing more than camera platforms, they cause no real threat or harm to anyone, they do not require any special skill set, and all your doing is feeding into the governments need to regulate. My point is and never was about the technical aspect about Part 107. It’s about not needing it in the first place.

In my opinion, and in my opinion only, all these drone rules and regulations are ridiculous and based on ignorance and fears. But hey, you get your certificate framed, hang it on the wall, and call yourself a pilot. I just want to take aerial photography and enjoy my hobby. I don’t need a certificate to tell me not to do something stupid.

I agree with you in some sense about the lack of need for some of the rules but on the other hand it goes both ways.

Because the FAA considers UAVs to be aircraft it allows us to fly practically anywhere not in spite of (relatively speaking) with the rules being fairly standardized from place to place (some exceptions obviously.)

If it wasn’t that way every locality could have their own rules and enforcement which would make it much more difficult to follow the rules.

Because the FAA has taken charge of them in the situation where someone tells you to stop flying you can politely tell them “I have fulfilled all the necessary FAA requirements to fly here. If you’d like to complain here’s my FAA# and you are welcome to contact the FAA but I’m not doing anything wrong. Have a nice day!”

Clueless.

Wow. The story and "opinion" changes with every post. Once proven wrong you just move on to another issue to pick on.
Just a reality check. You’re not a Pilot! If you want to fancy yourself as one because you have a remote control quad copter with a camera on it then that’s your fantasy and your right to have it.
Again making assumptions with no basis in truth. For your information I am indeed a licensed pilot for fixed wing aircraft. So not only can I consider myself a pilot but I am in fact a pilot. That gives me the perspective from that side as well. Pilots have very busy workloads in the cockpit, especially at takeoff and landing. They surely do not need to start worrying about drones on final approach getting sucked into an engine or hitting the windscreen. It is people like you who feel you can just fly a drone wherever you like that can and will cause issues.
Flying a Mavic drone requires absolutely no special skill sets.
Again wow. If that were true then there would never be a case of someone crashing a drone, losing a drone, or even having to ask others for help. These forums are the perfect example to prove you wrong.
On the other hand taking great video and pictures does. I suggest you spend your time, energy, and money on that, then you will at least have a reason for owning a Mavic. It’s what they were made for.
Really? So in your mind the only purpose for a drone is to take pictures and video? If you are not trained in doing so then there is no point in owning one? How about power line inspections, land and roof mapping, search and rescue, product delivery, and countless other uses that do not require the skills of a professional photographer/videographer?
Again just making stuff up as you go along. Nothing in my statement was egotistical. Just a statement of fact that if you put the time and effort in to learn about the NAS, weather, and proper flying techniques, you will be a better pilot than someone who has no training. In your mind putting in the time and effort to learn about photography makes you a better photographer, but the same does not apply to flying a drone. Very interesting.
Well in fact I did, since I already had my pilot's license before ever buying a drone. I did not have my Part 107 license but I had all the requisite knowledge since flying an airplane requires that knowledge. However, I still did not just unpack a Phantom and start flying around the neighborhood. I had the mental acuity to realize that I needed to learn more. I first bought a "toy drone" and flew it exclusively in the house to get the feel for a quad copter. I then read a lot and watched a lot of videos before ever purchasing my first DJI drone. I read the Phantom 3 Pro (my first drone) manual cover to cover many times before ever powering it on. When I did take that first flight, I felt comfortable knowing that I was doing it in a safe fashion.
You know what that got me? That got me to the point of never once crashing or losing a drone. Never once getting into trouble with the FAA, neighbors, police, or anyone else.
Learning to become a good photographer/videographer can take a lifetime. DJI drones are simply platforms for cameras.
Again your one-dimensional view of what a drone is good for. They can do so much more than just take pictures and video.
Stop waiving your certificate as if were something special, and buy a book on photography. Actually learn something you can be proud of and what these drones were made for. Nobody is going to say “Wow, he’s part 107 certified!” On the other hand if you actually learn something they may say “wow, what a great picture”
First of all it's "waving" and not "waiving". I have no allusions of being a master photographer and I never said I was. So you can be proud of your photography skills and others can be proud of their drone skills (whatever they may be). Of course in your world, the rest of us "non-photographers" have no skills to be proud of. Who has the ego now? Hmmmmm
I think you have enough of an ego to surpass all of us here. You are the master photographer. Drones are good for nothing else. The rest of us "non-pilots" have no skills worth mentioning and we have no reason to be flying a drone at all. Oh yes, you are always right and no other opinions matter. Sure, I'm the one with the ego. You can keep thinking that.

Wow. The story and "opinion" changes with every post. Once proven wrong you just move on to another issue to pick on.

Again making assumptions with no basis in truth. For your information I am indeed a licensed pilot for fixed wing aircraft. So not only can I consider myself a pilot but I am in fact a pilot. That gives me the perspective from that side as well. Pilots have very busy workloads in the cockpit, especially at takeoff and landing. They surely do not need to start worrying about drones on final approach getting sucked into an engine or hitting the windscreen. It is people like you who feel you can just fly a drone wherever you like that can and will cause issues.

Again wow. If that were true then there would never be a case of someone crashing a drone, losing a drone, or even having to ask others for help. These forums are the perfect example to prove you wrong.

Really? So in your mind the only purpose for a drone is to take pictures and video? If you are not trained in doing so then there is no point in owning one? How about power line inspections, land and roof mapping, search and rescue, product delivery, and countless other uses that do not require the skills of a professional photographer/videographer?

Again just making stuff up as you go along. Nothing in my statement was egotistical. Just a statement of fact that if you put the time and effort in to learn about the NAS, weather, and proper flying techniques, you will be a better pilot than someone who has no training. In your mind putting in the time and effort to learn about photography makes you a better photographer, but the same does not apply to flying a drone. Very interesting.

Well in fact I did, since I already had my pilot's license before ever buying a drone. I did not have my Part 107 license but I had all the requisite knowledge since flying an airplane requires that knowledge. However, I still did not just unpack a Phantom and start flying around the neighborhood. I had the mental acuity to realize that I needed to learn more. I first bought a "toy drone" and flew it exclusively in the house to get the feel for a quad copter. I then read a lot and watched a lot of videos before ever purchasing my first DJI drone. I read the Phantom 3 Pro (my first drone) manual cover to cover many times before ever powering it on. When I did take that first flight, I felt comfortable knowing that I was doing it in a safe fashion.
You know what that got me? That got me to the point of never once crashing or losing a drone. Never once getting into trouble with the FAA, neighbors, police, or anyone else.

Again your one-dimensional view of what a drone is good for. They can do so much more than just take pictures and video.

First of all it's "waving" and not "waiving". I have no allusions of being a master photographer and I never said I was. So you can be proud of your photography skills and others can be proud of their drone skills (whatever they may be). Of course in your world, the rest of us "non-photographers" have no skills to be proud of. Who has the ego now? Hmmmmm

I think you have enough of an ego to surpass all of us here. You are the master photographer. Drones are good for nothing else. The rest of us "non-pilots" have no skills worth mentioning and we have no reason to be flying a drone at all. Oh yes, you are always right and no other opinions matter. Sure, I'm the one with the ego. You can keep thinking that.

I'm afraid that you are wasting your time.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki