DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do not fly any drone in Key West

I’m not sure what I misunderstood? Why would anyone flying recreational say they are flying under part 107?

A licensed Part 107 pilot may choose at their discretion whether to fly under Part 107 or Section 336 at any time. The only thing is that the decision must be made at the start of the flight and cannot be changed mid-flight.
There is no requirement that the pilot must be flying a mission/job/gig. Only that the proper rules and regulations are followed during the flight.

PERIOD. THE END.

Reactions: drvrbob and sar104
This is a perfect example of rosco p coltrain in hot pursuit of them duke boys and ther drones. Take off from your back yard or balcony, and keep lokey. they gotta find you before they can *** ya. Im always stealthy and i never get harassed and i fly everywhere. if im within 200ftx1000ftx1000ft self imposed geofence they can all kiss my ***. if dji want to set all these NFZs, then my rule is -- if the engines start -- Blast OFF!!! 200ft and less, any aircraft would be already crashing.

obvee not in the runway corridor.

Was just stoped by Key West police and told that the FAA permit that I had for flight below 150 feet 4 miles from the airport was no good and they did not care what I had. Had to talk to the 45 mins and finely let go. Be careful
I was in Key West last September with my MP. Saw squad car with two cops in it near Angela St. Spoke to them about their stance on drone flying in the area. They told me I was OK to fly as long as I stayed away from private properties and protected areas (Fort Zachary Taylor is less than a mile from there)

Cool! Help with some other locations easily reached please. TIA
Cool! Help with some other locations easily reached please. TIA
just about anyplace were the horizon is far enough away when the sun sets. The top of a Mtn. or any ocean front where you can see the sun set so San Diego, would work for you.

Reactions: Thomas B
I was in Key West last September with my MP. Saw squad car with two cops in it near Angela St. Spoke to them about their stance on drone flying in the area. They told me I was OK to fly as long as I stayed away from private properties and protected areas (Fort Zachary Taylor is less than a mile from there)

Look at any chart of EYW and you’ll know they’re incorrect. Key West isn’t always easy to fly but with authorization, it can be done legally.

And then the officer will take you politely to the station and ruin your vacation until you get all straightened out in 4 or 5 hours.
Well at least you would be doing what is right, and now that the officer is educated, your future flying is not in jeopardy. Just my $0.02

Was just stoped by Key West police and told that the FAA permit that I had for flight below 150 feet 4 miles from the airport was no good and they did not care what I had. Had to talk to the 45 mins and finely let go. Be careful
Wait till they leave and fly unless they have surveillance on you and if the local laws is not broke then they had nothing better to do or maybe they were doing something shady in the area

Troll?

Why is there even a discussion here. The posting person is obviously savvy to drone rules and regulations.
Otherwise lots of pertinent information would have been offered.
1) These are dinky islands.
2) There is a major Air Base within 5 miles
3) There is an airport within 5 miles
4) Nowhere is it legal to fly a drone
5) There are several flat out restricted areas within the bounds of this area.
5) It is a major tourist area so you would always be flying over people or cars.
Why are you even attempting to fly a drone here?

Why is there even a discussion here. The posting person is obviously savvy to drone rules and regulations.

I guess I just don't understand this. We first were told he had a "permit" we still haven't seen it no idea what that was. He then stated he was under the Class D airspace which is first of all irrelevant since the OP states he is not 107 certified so he would be required to notify the airport and ATC. Additionally, even if we was 107 certified, the Class D airspace here extends from the ground to 2500 feet ASL.

2) true so that's why its important to follow the rules here just the same as everywhere else.

3) Right we established that so you'd need to notify the airport(336 recreational rules) or obtain an FAA waiver due to the Class D airspace( 107 rules and only because this airport does not participate in LAANC) NEITHER or which means you CAN'T fly. Just need to preform the appropriate actions depending on the rules you are flying under, the same could be said for any other controlled airspace or within 5 miles of an airport.

4) What do you mean? I feel like we are going in circles now. Somebody says you can't fly there legally and then somebody else explains you can you just have to do something first (see #3.)

5) Correct don't fly in the military zones.

6?) The OP said he was flying over water(aka the ocean) and besides that there are plenty of places to fly without being over people this is way too general a statement. I'm sure its lovely and can get great footage there.

This thread has been productive for analyzing a complicated area and the importance of understanding the rules before flying somewhere. Its been a little all over the place since we have been getting information in bits and pieces. But I think the OP for bringing up the subject.

Reactions: Order66
LE will tell you what your doing wrong.. ie.. What law is being broken or tell you what to do or not to do .. to stay out of trouble..

LE will tell you what your doing wrong.. ie.. What law is being broken or tell you what to do or not to do .. to stay out of trouble..
As we have seen , they don’t seem to have correct information always, but I agree that if you comply with their requests cordially it seems to keep pilots out of trouble. Better to comply with illegal ordinances/laws and/or an LEO’s understanding of same than having to post bail.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
This is a perfect example of rosco p coltrain in hot pursuit of them duke boys and ther drones. Take off from your back yard or balcony, and keep lokey. they gotta find you before they can *** ya. Im always stealthy and i never get harassed and i fly everywhere. if im within 200ftx1000ftx1000ft self imposed geofence they can all kiss my ***. if dji want to set all these NFZs, then my rule is -- if the engines start -- Blast OFF!!! 200ft and less, any aircraft would be already crashing.

obvee not in the runway corridor.

SERIOUSLY ??!!

The police may have been right in this case.

The FAA website DroneZone at FAADroneZone is primarily for drone registration; i.e., the registration numbers you are required to put on any small, unmanned aerial system (sUAS) including “drones” if you are thinking there is a difference, weighing more than 0.55-lbs.

In the USA, you must register all remotely piloted aircraft covered by Part 107 for commercial operations, and/or Part 336 for recreational operations under “community-based rules” such as those used by members of the AMA.

You can register your sUAS on DroneZone and receive a reregistration number for said sUAS. “Commercial sUAS pilots,” can also apply for waivers from Part 107 regulations, but that’s another story.

The only thing you can get “instantly” from DroneZone is a sUAS registration number. Receiving and displaying a registration number on your sUAS is not “permission” to fly or do anything. It is just a way to ID the owner of the sUAS so the authorities and others know who is responsible for it should it damage anything or hurt someone.

As indicated on the DroneZone website, “When you fly a sUAS in the United States, it is your responsibility to understand and abide by the laws,” including any local laws. This is true of all laws everywhere.

It appears the the original poster doesn’t understand the laws.

In any case, local police officers are in the unenviable position of trying to understand and enforce Federal, State and Local sUAS laws. The laws governing sUAS operations seem to change frequently enough that I suspect that in a confrontation with the police, no one may have a firm understanding of the applicable laws current at the time of the confrontation. My advice would be to do what the police tell you to do and sort it out later after you have time to cool off and think.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis