DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do range extenders really work?

Parabolic reflectors work better on the higher 5.8 GHz infrequence available on the Spark and Air which behaves more like light and reflects better then the penetrative 2.4 GHz used on the Pro and available on the Spark and Air. Also, there's little performance gain because the receiving and transmitting element's are a flat PCB design with side loops which affects the ability of a parabolic reflector to focus properly on the antenna especially if they're not very precisely made, unlike rod-shaped antennas that have a single center line.

Last summer, I did some less than scientific tests with passive range extenders on my MP, and my friends Air.

I found that under some circumstances, they made a slight, (maybe a few percent), improvement in range, but nothing significant. I found that when out at the range limits, using the range extender, the connection seemed a bit more erratic.

I suspect part of the problem is that, by virtue of its design, the mirror type range extenders, are significantly more efficient in boosting the transmission signals from the controller than the signals being received by the controller.

Theoretically, more than 50% of the signal from the controller, that would otherwise be transmitted away from the drone, is directed to the drone...but the 'cups' only catch a few extra percent of the signal coming from the drone into the controller.

All in all, I haven't found much benefit from using passive range extenders. Bi directional range extenders might be a different matter.

Last summer, I did some less than scientific tests with passive range extenders on my MP, and my friends Air.

I found that under some circumstances, they made a slight, (maybe a few percent), improvement in range, but nothing significant. I found that when out at the range limits, using the range extender, the connection seemed a bit more erratic.

I suspect part of the problem is that, by virtue of its design, the mirror type range extenders, are significantly more efficient in boosting the transmission signals from the controller than the signals being received by the controller.

Theoretically, more than 50% of the signal from the controller, that would otherwise be transmitted away from the drone, is directed to the drone...but the 'cups' only catch a few extra percent of the signal coming from the drone into the controller.

All in all, I haven't found much benefit from using passive range extenders. Bi directional range extenders might be a different matter.

Before going with the Titan Switch system with my MP1 I used a couple of different reflectors on the stock controller antennas and like you found very little difference other than a little more range with a little more signal strength showing for the control, but nothing substantial for video feed.

What I DID find was that directionality was much more sensitive and I had to keep the controller antennas pointed at the bird. If the flight path had an obstruction like a tree between us I would see a significant and at times complete drop in signal.

Last edited:
Like @Thomas B said. We live in similar (terrain wise ) parts of Arizona. I can go in one direction and fly miles without anything higher than 20 feet above the ground. I can fly in another direction and get into the hills and washes on the way up to 3700' or higher (our official elevation is 504').

I use a Titan Switch range extender. I don't use it as a range extender but to get better saturation and coverage. The Omni antennas gives me more coverage when I dip down over a ridge. I normally use the 9DB whips (RC has been modified to accept whips or the directional antenna) NO POWER INCREASE in the RC, just better antenna's.
I use this same system for both of my drones. M2P and Inspire 2 and I agree with you about being able to get a better signal. James has modified all my remotes for me including my Cendence remote controller for my Inspire 2 and I love them all.

I agree with Joe Walker, this has been my experience also.

The parabolic style apparently helped somewhat with Phantom controllers but the variations produced for Mavic Pro in some tests actually made things worse.
I'd assume MP2 is similar.
Even with the phantom version it seemed the 'beam' of improved signal was quite narrow and if not directed at the drone could make things worse.
But you could demonstrate a weak signal behind trees or whatever being improved by putting the reflector on.
They are inexpensive enough to be worth trying and doing a few tests is quite interesting.

Check these guys out. I've been looking at powered (amplified) range extenders. Couple of things here. On the radio side, you may need a HAM permit over 1w. Requires a controller modification. With no modification to the aircraft, all the amplification, both in bound and outbound traffic, is done at the controller. A high gain directional antenna will also help but I haven't had much luck with them.

Maxx UAV - UAV Long Range Solutions

Iowa Hill... can you provide a link to your preferred auxiliary battery?

So far 3S 1300 ma LiPos seem to average maybe 8 to 10 more minutes of flight time for me, and I use them in my electric planes so I have them on hand anyway. I've been playing with the 2200 ma LiPos but the increased weight doesn't seem to get me any real benefit so far. I'm waiting on some 4k+ ma graphenes to come in for further testing and have higher hopes due to less weight.

I'm using the MAXX UAV dual battery saddle mount on my MP1 along with their dual XT60 connector that doesn't require getting into the shell for soldering or other warranty voiding procedures, not that I'm worried about warranty. It's pretty cool and allows for empirical testing of various batteries.

batmod-1.jpg batmod-2.jpg

Have to agree with Camino Ken. Range extenders allow better signal from controller to AC, and somewhat better reception of existing signal strength from the drone, although the latter is debatable.

That makes good intuitive sense. My primary concern is losing control of the drone and having it not respond to the commands. Although I also assume that the antennas might have greater sensitive to a weak signal from the drone.

So far 3S 1300 ma LiPos seem to average maybe 8 to 10 more minutes of flight time for me, and I use them in my electric planes so I have them on hand anyway. I've been playing with the 2200 ma LiPos but the increased weight doesn't seem to get me any real benefit so far. I'm waiting on some 4k+ ma graphenes to come in for further testing and have higher hopes due to less weight.

I'm using the MAXX UAV dual battery saddle mount on my MP1 along with their dual XT60 connector that doesn't require getting into the shell for soldering or other warranty voiding procedures, not that I'm worried about warranty. It's pretty cool and allows for empirical testing of various batteries.

View attachment 62559 View attachment 62560

That looks very interesting. Could you show how they physically connect with the drone? Thanks.

I believe you'll find that those of us using the Titan boosters will unanimously agree that the signal reception for both the bird's telemetry and the video feed is vastly improved. My communication with Titan Drones (commandcase.com) has assured me that the booster has bi-directional amplification on both antenna feeds.

The battery time on the bird becomes a more significant issue when using any type of range extender. Some of us are using auxiliary batteries in various configurations to extend flight time.

Interesting. It wasn't in my thinking when I asked the original question, but auxiliary batteries is something else for me to think about.

That looks very interesting. Could you show how they physically connect with the drone? Thanks.

The green LED is a power indicator for the MAXX UAV XT60 dual battery connector that slips over the Mavic battery connector with no soldering or modification needed and is removable. You can get more information by going to their web site. Same goes for the slip on battery saddle mount.

batmod-1.jpg

batmod-2.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman