DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you hand catch your drone?

Almost never. The sole exception is when I’m flying the Insta360 Sphere camera on an Air 2s. Although Insta360 says to launch/land on the included pad, I just can’t bear to set this thing down on it’s lower fish-eye lens. In the interest of image quality I do not use the clear plastic lens covers Insta360 supplies.

It’s not risk-free. I further wear a cut-proof glove and safety glasses whenever I fly the Sphere.

I don’t quite know how to best understand hand-launching and hand-catching as “a habit of professional drone pilots.” In my view, a working professional recognizes risks to people and property and minimizes them to the extent possible. If they feel the risks aren’t acceptable they find another way to get the job done or walk away.

It's rare, but I do it only when necessary.

I do it, if the landing area is uneven or too small for a safe landing. I also hand catch and hand launch if the area has grass that's too tall or the ground is covered with heavy amounts of sand or loose dirt. You get the idea.

Oh, one other reason I may hand catch, is if there are people walking nearby. When i'm in an area with people traffic, I may hand catch it, so as to get it dow, landed and out of harms way of the people who sometimes seem to be walking in random ways or are not paying attention. I grab it from the sky, let it turn off and walk away.

Also, I'm not interested in even getting a slight nick from those spinning blades. I'm also only flying Mavic 3s. They lacerate easier. One of them has carbon fiber blades. They are sharp and stiff and cut like knives.

Last edited:
Yes with the mini3P due to its low profile to the ground.
Seldom with the M3 although I have done it a number of times to become proficient if a need to do so arises.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
I'm gonna try it...

While I can and have hand-caught where absolutely necessary, I don't otherwise because it risks injury, no matter how skilled.

Letting it land and stop the motors is completely 100% safe.

Yes with the mini3P due to its low profile to the ground.
Seldom with the M3 although I have done it a number of times to become proficient if a need to do so arises.
^^^ This. Initially I was hand catching AND launching everyday after purchase just to be proficient in flying from anywhere. For example, the confederate Fort Paulaski in Savannah is a State Park and the only way to get photos of the outside of the fort with Union cannon balls still stuck in the wall is from launching off a road in the marsh outside of Park land. No way at all to land this thing or take off if I couldn't do it from my hand. Its a FORT, for crying out loud.. lol Its pretty in-accessible from anything sticking out a mile away from the ocean and a mile away from any road and where I would launch on a calm cloudless day.

Now, Im glad I learned how to do that but I pretty much avoid hand catch and launching at all costs unless I need the pic. AND, if I do, I know how to do it and dont attempt to do it "under the gun."

Reactions: PAW
There are pilots that may find themselves having a drone spool to full throttle while in their hand and if you don't know why, or what to do in those types of situations, they can panic and get hurt.
I have had this happen to me and heard others with the same story. I believe the biggest factor is pulling the drone down a little immediately after grabbing it. The drone revs trying to regain altitude. I have learned that when you have grabbed the drone it helps to raise it a little and the drone realizes it is going up with no effort of it own and seems to shut off quicker. (Of course all while holding the stick down.)

Last edited:
I have had this happen to me and heard others with the same story. I believe the biggest factor is pulling the drone down a little immediately after grabbing it. The drone revs trying to regain altitude. I have learned that when you have grabbed the drone it helps to raise it a little and the drone realizes it is going up with no effort of it own and seems to shut off quicker.
Not just downward movement, but also and sideways or forward/back or yawing movement before the shut down phase can cause the drone to start trying to reposition itself and any resistance will cause a full power ramp up very quickly.

Reactions: NOLADG
I guess you have to have the control in one hand and catch it with the other?
Yes" but to catch you can rest controller just bring it down to just above head height and from behind the drone catch it!

I never hand launch or hand catch.
I am a "low risk" type of person and not inclined to do anything risky, if there are alternatives that are not risky.
Hand launching/catching involves risk of injury and/or dropping the drone.
I see no reason to take such risks when one can launch from the ground virtually anywhere, on any terrain, using ingenuity.
For instance, yesterday I was in a natural area on a grassy slope. The slope was about 15 to 20 percent. One would not be able to set down a landing pad on the slope and take off or land, as the landing pad would be tilted at too much of an angle, the drone would slide off.
So I used some ingenuity, taking off my backpack and setting it under one side of the landing pad, which when unfolded is stiff enough to stay level when propped up like this.
Alternatively, on slopes less steep, one could use other items to prop up one side of the landing pad: fallen branches, or rocks from the immediate area, or a water bottle or balled up jacket.
This has worked for me several times.
But some slopes are just too steep or gnarly....so it works sometimes but not always.

Hand launching, in my opinion, should only be done on an as needed basis. Like moving from a boat, a really uneven surface, or gravel/sand where it would be detrimental to get into the drone. There's no other reason to do it. I fly hundreds of times a month and maybe hand launch once or twice.

Reactions: PAW
I will hand launch and land if the area is full of debris, high weeds, etc., otherwise I put it on the ground. I have put my thumb in the wrong place and shaved my thumbnail but nothing serious. I do like LordThunder's comment above...." those props will slap the pretty off your face…"

Having now Mavic 3 Classic, I always both launch and catch by hand, as I can do it from anywhere. It’s good to have it well trained, so I prefer to do it even if it’s not necessary,

The correct way is shown in this video:

Chris

Reactions: WobblingWillie
All the time except when I'm launching from concrete or pavement. I don't pinch though. I merely have my palms open and wait for the drone to land. I used to pinch and then turn the drone over but found it was just an accident prone way of catching.

Hand catching is ridiculous and not worth it.
No it's not, and there's no reason to be insulting to people.

It presents a risk of serious injury that may be necessary depending on the circumstances. Some of the risk is controllable (i.e. don't do it in gusty conditions, as one example).

It is also true that it is almost never truly necessary, especially with a minimum of preflight planning, and opine that in the vast vast vast majority of instances it is not necessary at all.

IMO, the risk is never worth it. People's hands have truly been maimed by accidents, with major loss of sensory function not to mention cosmetic scarring. The worst is rare, but it only has to happen once.

Ever since I own the Mavic 3 Classic I use the hand launch. This drone has a large enough body to be able to do this without any risks. What I always do is have it fly backwards towards me when landing because you don't have to take into account the inverted controls. Another important thing that Russ didn't show in the video is in windy conditions. Always have the wind in your back so unexpected gusts will not take you by surprise.

Reactions: kilhan
Almost never. The sole exception is when I’m flying the Insta360 Sphere camera on an Air 2s. Although Insta360 says to launch/land on the included pad, I just can’t bear to set this thing down on it’s lower fish-eye lens. In the interest of image quality I do not use the clear plastic lens covers Insta360 supplies.

A good example of a case where it's necessary 👍

It’s not risk-free. I further wear a cut-proof glove and safety glasses whenever I fly the Sphere.

Good risk mitigation!

I don’t quite know how to best understand hand-launching and hand-catching as “a habit of professional drone pilots.” In my view, a working professional recognizes risks to people and property and minimizes them to the extent possible. If they feel the risks aren’t acceptable they find another way to get the job done or walk away.
My thinking exactly.

I'm one of those that has the "risk gene". It's drawn me to high risk activity my whole life. Hangliding, technical deep mixed-gas diving, single track mountain biking, I could go on and on.

No more, I'm too old now. But I always wanted to come back alive and intact, so I was especially keen on safety and risk mitigation.

Funny thing, it was quite common for fellow thrill risk-takers to be very careful too.

Reactions: SethB
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR