DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you remove the propellers before putting in the case?

I just got my M2P yesterday and love how easy the props are to put on and take off. But having had a Mini for a short time, and in that short time have found warped propellers when I thought I was securing the propellers properly before casing, and also getting "hover drift", which I have to believe due to wobbly props, presumably fixed by replacing the screws, I'm a little gun-shy about handing the M2P with props on. Obviously the Mini props are nearly paper thin and have no mass to them at all, so logically would be subject to becoming distored, making flying difficult.

I guess the bottom line questions are; how much special care do the propellers on the M2 need, and do you take them off before putting them in the case? The bonus question is- Which case do you use? I have the Fly More case, an Apache 2800 that would just barely fit the essentials. I'm also considering ordering this case from Amazon for $38 which has the cutouts aleready built in, but not as sturdy as an Apache or Pelican. Thoughts on cases? TIA
I never remove them. I have a 3D printed set of things that keep the props in place with no forces on them that would cause bend or motor injury

I just got my M2P yesterday and love how easy the props are to put on and take off. But having had a Mini for a short time, and in that short time have found warped propellers when I thought I was securing the propellers properly before casing, and also getting "hover drift", which I have to believe due to wobbly props, presumably fixed by replacing the screws, I'm a little gun-shy about handing the M2P with props on. Obviously the Mini props are nearly paper thin and have no mass to them at all, so logically would be subject to becoming distored, making flying difficult.

I guess the bottom line questions are; how much special care do the propellers on the M2 need, and do you take them off before putting them in the case? The bonus question is- Which case do you use? I have the Fly More case, an Apache 2800 that would just barely fit the essentials. I'm also considering ordering this case from Amazon for $38 which has the cutouts aleready built in, but not as sturdy as an Apache or Pelican. Thoughts on cases? TIA
I think it will depend on your case and your cutout/mold it fits in. I've seen some cases you have to take them off. Both of my hard cases I leave on the Pro and zoom because the case mold allows it.

I remove after flying and done for the day.
I just felt a good habit been doing it since the phantom 2 WOW that’s awhile now.
LOL

Hi - After a lot of research I got a case, loaded it with a better foam, and was able to get my entire M2P system inside without removing propellers and just folding the front legs in. Attached are pictures. The case a great deal from Harbor Freight, the solid foam from Cobra Foam ( 1620/1621) . I used an electric carving knife to make the cutouts. I even had room for the controller with an ipad mini 5 attached Amazon.com: Lekufee Lightweight Aluminum Alloy Foldable Tablet Holder Mount for Mavic Mini/Mavic 2 Pro/Mavic 2 Zoom/Mavic Pro Platinum/Mavic Air/DJI Spark Remote Controller(not fit Mavic air 2: Electronics . This case also has roller wheels so the whole system is very easy to transport and work out of. A couple other things that will make your M2P life easier. Get and learn the Litchi App and get an apple pencil to do the programming. With the Litchi you can build missions without the drone or controller turned on a huge drone battery saver. Contact me [email protected] for questions Have fun

Attachments

• Drone case inside.jpg
    Drone case inside.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Drone case outside.jpg
    Drone case outside.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 11
Hi - After a lot of research I got a case, loaded it with a better foam, and was able to get my entire M2P system inside without removing propellers and just folding the front legs in. Attached are pictures. The case a great deal from Harbor Freight, the solid foam from Cobra Foam ( 1620/1621) . I used an electric carving knife to make the cutouts. I even had room for the controller with an ipad mini 5 attached Amazon.com: Lekufee Lightweight Aluminum Alloy Foldable Tablet Holder Mount for Mavic Mini/Mavic 2 Pro/Mavic 2 Zoom/Mavic Pro Platinum/Mavic Air/DJI Spark Remote Controller(not fit Mavic air 2: Electronics . This case also has roller wheels so the whole system is very easy to transport and work out of. A couple other things that will make your M2P life easier. Get and learn the Litchi App and get an apple pencil to do the programming. With the Litchi you can build missions without the drone or controller turned on a huge drone battery saver. Contact me [email protected] for questions Have fun

Where were you days ago??? Actually you and I were thinking along the same pathway. I initially bought an Apache 2800 for my Mini where I can actually use the insert from a less expensive case (I'll photographe it later).. The 2800 is a bit too small for my M2P. I was thinking going for the 3800, but unlike you I was unable to find an economical source for the foam. In the meantime I found a nice case, though not as sturdy or heavy as the Apache, for $37. It was labeled for the M2P but 3/4" too narrow. Amazon gave me a $20 promotional credit (more than the credit I'd asked for to keep it) and a few carving knife strokes later I have a nice kit. I'm thinking that I should exchange the 2800 for the 3800 and can use the insert from both existing cases without having to get more foam for customization.

Attachments

• M2PCase.jpg
    M2PCase.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 8
It seems that the M2P is far less apt to develop inadvertant prop distortion than the Mavic Mini. The props are far more robust than the Mini's. Also, the M2's have two rubber bumpers (?) on the bottom that the props can rest inside of which keep them from flopping around and provide a bit of protection. Like many of you I am using a case that is far more spacious and customized than the Fly More case which for some reason DJI made far too tight, about the right size for a Mini (which I now sometimes carry my Mini in... as the Mini's Fly More case is too tight for that model!). I think if I had to use the M2 Fly More case I would take the props off. I think in a harder case where the drone sits flat I'd be more concerned with damaging the spindles more than the props.

Now that I have a bit more experience with the M2 I'm pretty comfortable with the routine I've fallen into. It's been an interesting 2 weeks. Thanks for your input.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike