DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you think experience flying gas Rc helicopters and Airplane helped flying a Mavic?

Have to flown any other RC helicopters before your Dji Mavic

• Yes a few different types.

Votes: 53 76.8%
  • My Mavic is my first quad and heli.

Votes: 16 23.2%

• Total voters

Bugsbunnyheli

Reactions
I think when things go wrong you end up flying in ATTI mode unexpectedly some prior RC experience is helpful.
Those gas helicopters or non gps heli in my view help with stick control. When I flew my gas.30 heli some times I felt I was chasing it to make it do what I wanted. My dji stuff I can say I always felt in command .

I think when it comes down to it a good understanding of the joysticks and what they do combined with a good sense of direction is good.

When I learned how to fly real planes one a small percentage was actually learning to fly, a good 90 percent was learning how to fly when things weren't going right, and it was always helpful to not second guess yourself and make your time count!

Never owned a gas helicopter but my nitro RC car that went 70 miles an hour got destroyed on a regular basis just for the sheer reason you can't, or at least I couldn't react fast enough when I was super far away going super fast. My brain struggled to switch between the controller and watching the car. Also the controller was ultra sensitive and made zero sense LOL. That was a true test hahah.

Reactions: Hoobness
Starting of flying heli's about 8 years ago, and learning to be in control of every move, has helped to get the mucle memory in place. The Mavic is actually to easy to fly for beginners. When it goes into atti mode, they have no idea what to do. It is highly recommended to first get manual flight under the belt, to help with sticky situations. Just my humble opinion. Fly safe.

Flying the Mavic was the first time I could fly a bird longer then 2 minutes without crashing it. And I have been trying for the last 35 years. Needless to say, I am very very please with my Mavic.

Reactions: scgene31
A heli works in "rate" mode which is very different from DJI aircraft's Attitude mode (not even talking of GPS which is always active on Mavic..), so while it will help you with the basic inversion and things it's still a different style of piloting - an easier one which is why you may find it so.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanberraMavic
I would have to say that it helped me tremendously. Having spatial orientation while manipulating a fast moving RC heli really lends itself to any time of flying, with any type of craft. And you also learn to manipulate the controls with fine dexterity. There's a time for stick banging, but flying a video platform isn't it, in my humble opinion.

Reactions: Clinton1
At the Dutch Aerospace Laboratory, where I had my flying lessons, we first had to master a CP helicopter simulator, nose in and out, figure eights, hovering over a dime, you name it, before we even got to hover their (full manual) instruction quads. Lucky that I already flew CP gas nitro heli's for years. For others it took weeks (some forever) before they were allowed to start the actual quad flying lessons.

Yes it helps tremendously when things go crazy. You respond automatically with the correct stick input.

The Mavic is my first quadcopter although I don't really feel like I'm flying it as in normal operation, the drone is doing a lot of correction work from the actual controls. I have had the bug where the Mavic suddenly loses GPS reception and switches to the ATTI mode although from reading here I knew it could happen so when it did I was ready for it and landed without issue. After nearly a year of flying I've never crashed it although I'd say that's largely down to forums like this as understanding why crashes have occurred and certain quirks of the Mavic is very useful to avoid doing the same.

John

RC heli or plane previous experience should be very helpful. If you have flown either successfully, not talking 3D, you have already learned that you do not have to push the sticks to the limits with every movement of the craft. Smoothness is your friend.
Plus you are much less likely to go into panic mode at every little thing.

Reactions: crooz77
I used to fly 250 nitro helicopters. Switched to battery mostly for noise issues.

Eventually ended up with a Blade MCPx BL. That was the bane of my life and put me off flying altogether.

Was good to get back into flying with the mavic.
Much more relaxed. I think previous RC experience helps to an extent but you need to get into the mind set that you are NOT flying the aircraft, your only telling it where you want it to go.

With modern quads it's more about second guessing what the FC might do than skill keeping it in the air.

Absolutely prior RC helicopter flying experience helps. I started with nitro planes back in the early 80’s & then graduated to helis in the mid 90’s. Funny I always thought I was pretty good with RC planes until I got my first heli & found out what that rudder stick is really for. Going from an RC heli to a GPS stabilized drone is ridiculously easy & the only real learning curve I find I had to deal with was the lack of responsiveness. Even in sport mode the mavic just seems crazy sluggish… As it should, being a camera ship.
Here's my old Raptor 90
WETFeet.jpg
d-seb3a6a137ea40ada

Absolutely prior RC helicopter flying experience helps. I started with nitro planes back in the early 80’s & then graduated to helis in the mid 90’s. Funny I always thought I was pretty good with RC planes until I got my first heli & found out what that rudder stick is really for. Going from an RC heli to a GPS stabilized drone is ridiculously easy & the only real learning curve I find I had to deal with was the lack of responsiveness. Even in sport mode the mavic just seems crazy sluggish… As it should, being a camera ship.
Here's my old Raptor 90
View attachment 27981
d-seb3a6a137ea40ada
That brings back memories. There was 1 tree in the area I was learning to fly my Raptor and yes I managed to break a blade....

Reactions: MTFalconer
Definitely helps flying my compass Chronos 700 or my oxy helis... I have actually had too many to name but yes it definitely helps with stick reaction time and especially if you go into atti mode you just know what to do.

Reactions: Clinton1

Hey callum are you sure you don't miss the mcpx BL? Lolol this was me about 3 years ago l.... Twitchy little thing

Reactions: Callum
Yes....big advantage. Been flying RC helis for 20 years.....started the MP in sports mode 2nd flight. No problems.

Wish it had ATTI.

Hey callum are you sure you don't miss the mcpx BL? Lolol this was me about 3 years ago l.... Twitchy little thing
Not in the slightest!

Very twitchy, cool video, you make it look tame.:)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanManNYC