DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you think experience flying gas Rc helicopters and Airplane helped flying a Mavic?

Have to flown any other RC helicopters before your Dji Mavic

• Yes a few different types.

Votes: 53 76.8%
  • My Mavic is my first quad and heli.

Votes: 16 23.2%

• Total voters
I think when things go wrong you end up flying in ATTI mode unexpectedly some prior RC experience is helpful.
Those gas helicopters or non gps heli in my view help with stick control. When I flew my gas.30 heli some times I felt I was chasing it to make it do what I wanted. My dji stuff I can say I always felt in command .

Yes It helps Helo's

when you turn around... you stop and pivot a flat 90 deg and then fly it back
or on the fly.... were you bank a turn
Sometime thing go wrong The ATTI doesn't come into play at all.!
Please don't fly with less the 20% battey
...........cR

Hey callum are you sure you don't miss the mcpx BL? Lolol this was me about 3 years ago l.... Twitchy little thing
I also did all my first moves on the McpX, and then McpX BL, before i would try it out on my 450's, Furion 6 and Goblin 630. It was great fun flying that little guy. It was a handfull, but taught me all the skills without breaking the bank on repairs for the big guys.

any previous RC experience is a great help. Hand eye coordination, thought process, and just the disipline required to cancel gravity with any type aircraft is a big plus. on a realistic basis, the Mavic basically flies itself. Upon take off it rises to 3 feet and waits for your command. No other RC fixed wing or heli will assist you in this way. Altitude is everything and experience helps;)

Reactions: Clinton1
That brings back memories. There was 1 tree in the area I was learning to fly my Raptor and yes I managed to break a blade....

I hear ya... It's like that vegetation could just reach out and grab ya! They were fun though weren't they! I remember the crazy adrenaline rush from those big birds tearing up the sky.
This was taken probably back in 2001. Nice easy flying around a beaver pond up in the Montana wilderness.

Reactions: Clinton1
I think when things go wrong you end up flying in ATTI mode unexpectedly some prior RC experience is helpful.
Those gas helicopters or non gps heli in my view help with stick control. When I flew my gas.30 heli some times I felt I was chasing it to make it do what I wanted. My dji stuff I can say I always felt in command .

+1 So many people crash because they think the Mavic behaved "erratically" for no reason. My guess is what really happened is the GPS signal got interrupted, and they had to actually fly the Mavic, which they never learned how to do. The first thing I always tell anyone who wants to buy a drone is to buy a small cheap one off of Amazon first, and learn to fly that. Once you understand how to actually fly, you'll master the Mavic quickly, and you'll be in control in the event GPS craps out.

Reactions: raymo
At the Dutch Aerospace Laboratory, where I had my flying lessons, we first had to master a CP helicopter simulator, nose in and out, figure eights, hovering over a dime, you name it, before we even got to hover their (full manual) instruction quads. Lucky that I already flew CP gas nitro heli's for years. For others it took weeks (some forever) before they were allowed to start the actual quad flying lessons.
While some experience makes some sense this just seems to be a con to milk money from applicants. Full manual makes no sense for DJI aircraft or any other "work" machine and as such should not be required. Explain the difference, give them an hour of practice so they know what it is and teach them how control modes are named in several machine types so they can make sure to configure their things correctly but no point going further unless the applicant really wants to learn that type of control.

Last edited:
Reactions: laurens23

That would be me in 1991
Schlüter Magic with thermal gas engine
Good memories :)

I had one of those! After a year or so of flying it, (and rebuilding the boom bits and main blades a couple of times (the flopping chicken syndrome) I finally had it nested in a 222 fuse. I still have it.
But right now, she's just a Bookcase Princess.......

Reactions: LucVN
I hear ya... It's like that vegetation could just reach out and grab ya! They were fun though weren't they! I remember the crazy adrenaline rush from those big birds tearing up the sky.
This was taken probably back in 2001. Nice easy flying around a beaver pond up in the Montana wilderness.
looking at that smoke trail,theres no way of losing VLOS:)

Flying pattern birds and pylon racers since 1970s tunes you up for the challenge. Never did RC helis, but presume they would be even better preparation for Mavic.

I definitely think flying RC planes for the better part of 25 years has been a tremendous assistance in flying the Mavic. Probably if I was to say one thing about what has helped me the most is the simple orientation of the Mavic as it is coming towards me and knowing from years of flying planes that it is easier to know your left and right is opposite. And I also must say, I think the general respect and appreciation for the hobby is huge. It's knowing your limits and being patient with YOUR learning curve. The Mavic Pro truly opens ones world to adventures.

Reactions: Lake_Flyer
Cool flying and that took skill. Might look easy, not so much. I started flying nitro, fixed wing in the early 70s. No question that that experience of 40 years through several generations of electronics prepared me for the equipment and flying the Mavic. Now it is easy. Flying a Formula 1 racer around a 600 foot coarse at 180 mph+, a lot tougher. Reactions had to be automatic and you never even thought about orientation. Talk about hand-eye coordination.

Reactions: Lake_Flyer
I hear you raymo, I started out small, the little .049 engines and by the time I was done my Uncle who got me in the hobby had me flying large scale jets, costly, but fun. Some pretty crazy times and like you say, reactions had to be on auto pilot for sure. But over the years, the eyes and reaction time got a little more unpredictable and there comes that day when you have to say enough of the fast stuff. But I am sure grateful there are more fun stuff like the Mavic for sure! Some of the contest and skills that I was able to take away from flying planes has been a blessing.

Reactions: raymo
I think so.
I started with nitro Hydros, then went into Nitro helis, had a Schluter Magic with a Bell 222 fuselage. Built it all, and all of my models my self. You learn that way.
Just going to the store, going home, opening the box and going out, can lead to "issues".....

DJI drones fly nothing like the helies or planes from 20+ years ago. In my opinion the flying skills are not really transferable beyond the absolute basics.

Anyone can pick up a DJI drone and fly it. I can hand my controller to my wife who has never done any RC and she can fly around without any problems. But without help she (or anyone without experience) will crash in seconds if they try their hands at a gasser from 20 years ago.

However having flown planes as a kid (helies were too expensive) has given a lot more affinity for the hobby in general. It gave me respect and understanding of what I can and cannot do. understand what happened if something fails, know the importance of getting informed (i.e. actually read the manual).

I see/read too many new people do stupid stuff because they don't know any better, or don't understand they have to respect the equipment.

I just about 9 years in 6ch heli. Never fly 700class, mostly only 450 -500 class only with some lovely micros to keep my finger's muscle and memory alive.
In my humble opinion, based on my little experience, I would like to say yes...rc helicopter teaches me about basic orientations and also pre flight check for the safety reasons in using mavic. But also mavic leads me to another thing that I never learn from rc helicopter, that is: to give attentions on 2 different things simultaneously (the aircraft and the monitor). So, to sum up, in my opinion the new technology always needs new mentality and skills as well. Up to now still love all my birds.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy007