DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you typically fly with APAS on?

I have been flying my M2P for about a year and have yet to try APAS. I fly mostly in P mode and occasionally tripod mode. I’m not sure whether I would have the confidence to trust it to fly safely around obstacles ........ all the time!

I tried it last year. Worked pretty good but just like traditional use of OA, you have to take care.
It did fail to avoid power line wires to a bathroom house in the park as it avoided the roof. That could have been more of OA not seeing the wires in the first place rather than APAS not avoiding them.

Reactions: DougMcC
I have been flying my M2P for about a year and have yet to try APAS. I fly mostly in P mode and occasionally tripod mode. I’m not sure whether I would have the confidence to trust it to fly safely around obstacles ........ all the time!
Try it, test the waters.....I fly a lot in APAS on the M2Z..... I flew a whole battery in APAS just to see if i would encounter any issues. The drone make turns with more control with it on flying 200 feet plus. Theres no obstacle that high up but it turn radius is more precise. It does well at lower altitude which I believe that's what it for.....~

Try it, test the waters.....I fly a lot in APAS on the M2Z..... I flew a whole battery in APAS just to see if i would encounter any issues. The drone make turns with more control with it on flying 200 feet plus. Theres no obstacle that high up but it turn radius is more precise. It does well at lower altitude which I believe that's what it for.....~
Agreed I have had the same experience. I don’t use it all of the time but when I’m flying within close proximity to potential obstacles I turn it on to help me stay safer.

I normally fly in Program mode but have yet to really test out APAS. Do most people fly with it on?
I was playing with active track on myself walking around and down the road with spas on and it was fun to watch it avoid a stop sign,swinging around it then a low branch which it handled beautifully,ducking under it without a problem.
Put a smile on my face.
Bob

I was playing with active track on myself walking around and down the road with spas on and it was fun to watch it avoid a stop sign,swinging around it then a low branch which it handled beautifully,ducking under it without a problem.
Put a smile on my face.
Bob
Apas

I try to always use ASAP as I feel it is 'better safe than sorry'. I also would not 'rely' on it avoiding obstacles, although I nervously tested it one time, flying strait into a football score board and it successfully flew up and over. Whew! But there are times it says that APAS not supported in the mode I am flying. Can't recall what modes disables APAS ( will have to check the manual again). Anyway, I wish there was a setting that would I could turn on that would AUTOMATICALLY activate APAS any time I was flying in a mode where it is supported. Seems like a no brainer feature to me, considering we have paid for all of the obstacle avoidance sensors! It seems like you have to remember to manually activate APAS and I often forget to do so.

APAS =Advanced Pilot Assistance System.
Basically it is an enhanced flight mode that will have the drone attempt to fly over or around an obstacle that it detects. If off I think it just hovers in place of an obstacle is detected it’s path.

I do not have a smart Controller and so cannot be sure how to activate it on a Smart Controller. However on a smart phone or tablet there is an ‘APAS’ icon on the left side of the screen that you can toggle on or off manually.

APAS =Advanced Pilot Assistance System.
Basically it is an enhanced flight mode that will have the drone attempt to fly over or around an obstacle that it detects. If off I think it just hovers in place of an obstacle is detected it’s path.

I do not have a smart Controller and so cannot be sure how to activate it on a Smart Controller. However on a smart phone or tablet there is an ‘APAS’ icon on the left side of the screen that you can toggle on or off manually.

Apparently the SC does not have this feature, at least I have not been able to find it anywhere. Can anyone confirm right or wrong on this?

It's part of Go so it should be on the SC.

APAS is neat, but you're relying on the AC deciding on how to avoid an obstacle rather than stopping when an obstacle is encountered and letting you deal with it. Like any automated system, APAS may make bad decisions, especially if you have compound obstacles. APAS may be why my M2 ran into power wires after avoiding a roof.

Reactions: MRomine
APAS is on the SC. Over on the far left edge.It is a Triangle with APAS inside of it and it6 shows a flight path around the triangle.

Reactions: MRomine and apeel
It's part of Go so it should be on the SC.

APAS is neat, but you're relying on the AC deciding on how to avoid an obstacle rather than stopping when an obstacle is encountered and letting you deal with it. Like any automated system, APAS may make bad decisions, especially if you have compound obstacles. APAS may be why my M2 ran into power wires after avoiding a roof.
I used APAS a lot and not once it made a bad decision. In fact it works flawless. I'm not going to say it may malfunction one day but as of now using APAS has not failed me.

APAS is on the SC. Over on the far left edge.It is a Triangle with APAS inside of it and it6 shows a flight path around the triangle.

Ah yes, now I see that little rascal. It is hard to see those little letters inside the triangle. Thanks!

No. All sensors off.

Hi Checki. I am curious ... why do you default to have it turned off? Why not have the safety measures available, and only turn it off when the sensors prevents you from going somewhere / doing something you want to do but sensors prevent it.

Hi Checki. I am curious ... why do you default to have it turned off? Why not have the safety measures available, and only turn it off when the sensors prevents you from going somewhere / doing something you want to do but sensors prevent it.
I also usually fly with all sensors off.
It gives greater/full control of the drone.
Often I am flying around obstacles, and I want to fly my drone where I want it to go,
not have it 'handicapped' by the sensors.
(oh, and all the annoying beeping that comes with sensors on)
However, at times I have used APAS.
When using follow-mode and active-track are good times for it.

Reactions: TTP and apeel
However, at times I have used APAS.
When using follow-mode and active-track are good times for it.

I didnt think about that, if apas makes sense using active track. But its following you anyway and trying to keep you in frame and avoiding obstacles, so dont know if it makes any difference, IF you can turn it on while active tracking.

Why i turn all sensors off?
Because i dont need them, thats why. They dont make flying more safe, it just feels safer. The Sensor doesnt see more than i do, they dont see tiny branches or cables! The way i fly, i see my drone most of the time, i have a clear picture (on screen and in my mind) where the drone is in 3D space, and whats nearby. I know (just watch youtube...) that there are many people not having this kind of three dimensional ... brain ... dont know the word in english :)

So for me, sensors make no sense. Sure, if i fly over a river surrounded by trees, then maybe i turn them on, if i dont know exactly what im doing. But usually, i know exactly what im doing.
And on the other hand, maybe i save 1 minute of flight time, who knows :)

Reactions: TTP
IF you can turn it on while active tracking.
Guess it's not on while in active track.
According to the manual:
The APAS feature is automatically disabled using Intelligent Flight modes and resumes after exiting the Intelligent Flight mode.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki