DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you.........

Yes, I do circles, camera forward like driving a car. Then a circle camera facing me the entire time, circle camera facing away, circle camera focused on a spot in the middle. Then drive figure 8s. Takes only a couple of minutes and helps knowing the controls without thinking about it. I still do it as a habit.

@Mr. Noob ,every time you fly you are honing your skills on the sticks ,and there will come a time when you no longer have to wonder what the drone is going to do in response to a particular stick input
the most important attribute to achieve smooth jerk free video is delicate stick movement this requires practice and also its possible on some models of drone to be able to set how the movement of the sticks is translated to the equivalent amount of movement that the drone makes ,these settings are different in different drones and the information on how to achieve the desired response can be found in the relevant on line drone user manual
i myself perhaps once a month ,depending on when i last managed to fly ,will use up a battery or two just keeping up to speed ,like @Brendan688 in post #3 above just flying maneuvers ,it helps to keep your muscle memory up to date ,and you can try different techniques to achieve the desired outcome ,i will video these flights and then view them to see if what i wanted ,was the desired outcome ,always remember that you are in control of the drone ,not the other way round
and unless it develops a fault of some sort, or does a RTH due to signal loss or is in one of the auto flight modes, then it can only do what you the pilot command it to do

I practice orbits quite a bit. Both left and right. The point of interest sometimes doesn't lock on the subject, so I keep my manual skills practiced.

As a newbie, need to practice every chance I get.
Just came back from session where I spent time observing how the drone looked at various heights, especially close to the ground eg 5m.
Hopefully this will stop me getting nervous when zooming in for shots.
Also still getting a handle on sideways panning whilst changing altitude.
Sometimes it is nice just to fly without thinking about filming!

Yes. Practice with every flight and also if I change the settings.

This is my plan exactly: to learn how to control a drone specifically for videography purposes: vista scenic shots, tracking an object, fly-bys of an object(s), working the gimbal with the air craft in motion, etc.

I want to thank everyone for the hints to improve my stick use. Went out yesterday and practiced in a field doing squares froward and backwards, circled around a fixed point, and because the field had a fairly active street along side it I was able to practice vehicle following, pan while it passes, followed sideways and increased altitude, and some general flight control.

side note there is an FAA ATC Command center yards from where I was, as well as a company called “Droneshield”. Looked it up and the name says it all! HAHAHA! Clear flight area but I thought it was ironic.

Reactions: Tentoes

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk