DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does a signal booster really work?

I am in downtown and I notice that the buildings really cause a loss of signal. Will it work in downtown to boost the signal?
No. Boosters cannot penetrate large objects like buildings. They only work effectively with clear LOS. Mini 2 already has all the signal strength you need to support a range of up to 10km.

OcuSync 2.0 Video Transmission​

Explore your world without limitations.​

Mini 2 supports up to 10 km of HD video transmission and has excellent anti-interference capabilities, giving you the ability to fly farther and see clearer. [3]

3. Unobstructed, free of interference, and when FCC-compliant. Maximum flight range specification is a proxy for radio link strength and resilience. It only refers to the maximum, one-way flight distance without considering Return to Home. Always follow local rules and regulations and fly your drone within your visual line of sight unless otherwise permitted.

Thanks for all the replies. From what I read it sounds like Mini 2 has enough range already and a booster might not add much to the range? Am I right? Also the boosters are directional, so when the drone is far away and you can't see it, what happens if you can't point it exactly at the drone? Will it lose connection, while if you were not using the booster it would still be connected?
See Post #21 above.

But from what I read you have to point it directly towards the drone. If the drone is out of sight, how could I know where it exactly is? Is it possible that in such situations, if I don't know the location of the drone and can't point the antenna in its direction I will completely lose the connection(while if I was not using the booster the connection would have been continued)?

Also I did a quick search on Amazon and could not find the windsurfer for my Mini 2. Where can I buy them online/
Yagi antennas are available for the Mini 2, which are an alternative to windsurfers for flat antenna bars like the Mini 2. Don't expect much without clear LOS.

Mini 2 already has all the signal strength you need to support a range of up to 10km.

Not in the UK it doesn't unfortunately, lucky to get 4km here in wide open countryside with little or no interference

I have a Mini 2 and am surrounded by tall trees so my issue is penetration...no, not that kind folks so get ur minds out of the gutter😊.

I almost bought the Alientech duo boosted antenna but not paying $700. I had 2 Sunhans 2.4ghz boosters as well as 2, 5.8ghz ones. I was advised by one of the large drone stores to do use the 2.4ghz ones and change the band in the fly app. I did and it did not help so I did the same with the 5.8ghz ones...same result. I purchased 2 Sunhans dual band 2 watt boosters and these worked much, much better.

The issue is you loose the video signal coming from the Mini 2 as it is not amplified. There is a product out there that can be installed on the controller as well as on the quad but I have not tried it as the Mini 2 is too small and has insufficient space. It is available for $500, including install, on convertdrones.com.

There are also dual band boosters on alibaba.com, from a company called edup, for half the price of Sunhans and they are 4 watt which is double the power as the Sunhans. I just got them but have not tried them yet.

If you are going the booster route get the dual band. They will be particularly helpful in urban or high interference areas.

Hope this helps

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SlayTech