DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does a signal booster really work?

We use the Alien Dual Electronic Antenna system and yes it really works .
The way we tested it was to fly with no antenna until we lost signal and than turn it on to gain the signal back.

We did the same with Mini Alien dual Antenna system no electric and got the same results
Seems like the controller by itself is good for about 1200 ft after than you need some help.

So that shows that it does work but not how far a signal you might be able to get. we stop at 10, 000 ft with spotters.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Capture the Storm.

We use the Alien Dual Electronic Antenna system and yes it really works .
The way we tested it was to fly with no antenna until we lost signal and than turn it on to gain the signal back.

We did the same with Mini Alien dual Antenna system no electric and got the same results
Seems like the controller by itself is good for about 1200 ft after than you need some help.

So that shows that it does work but not how far a signal you might be able to get. we stop at 10, 000 ft with spotters.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Capture the Storm.
A true test would be to compare the range of the stock antennas to a boosted setup in the same area. No antenna is not a valid test. The DJI advertised stock range of the Mini 2 is already 10 Km, so one would be hard pressed to improve upon that with a signal booster. What is/was the stock range you are/were getting?

Last edited:
Sorry deleted your duplicate thread. Yes signal boosters work.
Been using them since the P2’s. Depending on what you fly and
what booster you use depends on how much they do.
Please only start 1 thread on the same subject.
Thanks. .

Does a signal booster really work and extend the range?
Completely depends upon the original stock range. When the original range already exceeds the battery capacity, signal boosters, even if they increased the stock range beyond the DJI advertised stock range of 10 Km for the Mini 2, which is dubious, would require supporting external batteries, unless you enjoy one way suicide missions. In short, signal boosters don't do much now with OcuSync 3.0 except unnecessarily complicate the setup. A signal booster still cannot penetrate buildings and hills. It still requires the same LOS that the original stock antennas do for best range.

Yes signal boosters work.
Been using them since the P2’s. Depending on what you fly and
what booster you use depends on how much they do.
Yes, with the original P2, P3, P3P, and P4, signal boosters were necessary to achieve and exceed the original DJI advertised ranges. However, since the P4P, M2P, Air 2, Mini 2, and Air 2S, stock ranges on all are well over 4 miles, so signal boosters have become entirely unnecessary, unless you also add a battery mod to support any longer range.

A true test would be to compare the range of the stock antennas to a boosted setup in the same area. No antenna is not a valid test. The DJI advertised stock range of the Mini 2 is already 10 Km, so one would be hard pressed to improve upon that with a signal booster. What is/was the stock range you are/were getting?
The problem I have is the Geo fence that surround me so even with spotters my range comes to a halt at 10,000 ft Thus the only way i could test to see if the New Antennas systems were working was to force a lost signal. I have two videos where I come to the wall .

When flying from inside the car you tell immediately that the signal is stronger by how fast the home point registers , for me its almost instantly with both antennas . Not a true range test but a test of a stronger signal.

When i started out years ago with the Phantoms I could not take off of the Pier , after many attempts I chalked it out to the Bermuda pier and magnetic interference as you can see in this crazy video , but only this year did i realize that i was inside the Geo Fence as I was trying to take off. If i could take back all those failed attempts. lollll

Inside the Bermuda Pier when everything was a mystery : LINK

Phatnomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Reactions: JDerrick
Yes, with the original P2, P3, P3P, and P4, signal boosters were necessary to achieve and exceed the original DJI advertised ranges. However, since the P4P, M2P, Air 2, Mini 2, and Air 2S, stock ranges on all are well over 4 miles, so signal boosters have become entirely unnecessary, unless you also add a battery mod to support any longer range.
Yes I could go 4.2 miles with the M1 one way in the right weather as well as the M2 I really don’t know about those others but do know booster‘s do help in the right location under the right conditions.

The problem I have is the Geo fence that surround me so even with spotters my range comes to a halt at 10,000 ft Thus the only way i could test to see if the New Antennas systems were working was to force a lost signal. I have two videos where I come to the wall .

When flying from inside the car you tell immediately that the signal is stronger by how fast the home point registers , for me its almost instantly with both antennas . Not a true range test but a test of a stronger signal.

When i started out years ago with the Phantoms I could not take off of the Pier , after many attempts I chalked it out to the Bermuda pier and magnetic interference as you can see in this crazy video , but only this year did i realize that i was inside the Geo Fence as I was trying to take off. If i could take back all those failed attempts. lollll

Inside the Bermuda Pier when everything was a mystery : LINK

Phatnomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.
Cool. Sadly, even boosters can't penetrate through GEO. LOL! Signal boosters clearly do boost the signal, and can assist to stabilize the signal even at close range. However, when compared to stock range on most newer DJI aircraft like the Mini 2, they only result in a marginal improvement because OcuSync has gotten so good, especially with OcuSync 3.0. Signal boosters show a far bigger impact with Autel Robotics drones, because they are still using inferior standard Wifi for control and video. With the EVO 2 Pro, an Alientech Pro antenna setup can quadruple the true crappy stock range of a mile! Even then, however, DJI's OcuSync 3.0 without boosters is still far better! DJI for the win!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Guess it depends on where you are. See I’m so far out in the sticks
i can do more than most. I can get on a log landing and see as far
as the eye can see and never get over 200’.

Same here. I'm flying from an elevated location over lower ground where I can fly at 50' AGL out to 5 miles with clear LOS in every direction. Good thing for all my spotters! If you are flying from your own urban backyard, surrounded by tall trees and tall buildings, you'd be lucky to get 1,000 feet at that 50' elevation. If you want more range, you really have to launch from higher ground and have clear LOS.

Yea, me on hill over my hunting club. Nothing but cutovers and pines.

Last edited:
I use this parabolic signal extender on my Mini SE.. today i tested on same spot (it is same spot i practice everyday... usually i get 200 metres before lost signal.. with this extender, i can get to 700 m before disconnect..

That is significant range improve over urban areas.. i dont shoot for long range Kilometres ranges, 500-700 is enough for me (and my VLOS) especially in urban wifi polluted areas..

Little downside of this parabolic antenna is very directional.. you should maintain direct line between RC and aircraft..

DJI Mini SE.. CE version.. tested on manual channel 5.8 Ghz... urban area, clear VLOS, no obstacles between RC and aircraft....

Works well for Mini SE that still uses Enhanced Wifi.. i guess for Mini 2, occusync is way better without any extender

Attachments

• 20211023_140426.jpg
    20211023_140426.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • 20211023_140626.jpg
    20211023_140626.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20211026-174154.jpg
    Screenshot_20211026-174154.jpg
    731.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Used parabolic reflectors on my mini 1 for improved reception even within half mile vlos. Trick is aiming them at the drone as the signal is narrower but stronger. Too hard to see my neon yellow mini beyond that anyhow, even with a spotter.

Windsurfers (parabolic signal extenders) are an inexpensive way of focusing the existing signal, and work well on any setup in which they can be properly mounted over the antennas, turning an omnidirectional antenna into a directional antenna. They are signal concentrators, rather than true signal boosters. Typical range increase over stock antennas is 10-20%, and they definitely help with signal stability at extremes where the stock range starts to pixilate. Used with great success on the P4P and M2P. However, many of them do not properly focus the signal at the antenna, as the shape of the parabola is incorrect. Certainly worth trying first, over any true signal boosters.

I am in downtown and I notice that the buildings really cause a loss of signal. Will it work in downtown to boost the signal?

Windsurfers (parabolic signal extenders) are an inexpensive way of focusing the existing signal, and work well on any setup in which they can be properly mounted over the antennas, turning an omnidirectional antenna into a directional antenna. They are signal concentrators, rather than true signal boosters. Typical range increase over stock antennas is 10-20%, and they definitely help with signal stability at extremes where the stock range starts to pixilate. Used with great success on the P4P and M2P. However, many of them do not properly focus the signal at the antenna, as the shape of the parabola is incorrect. Certainly worth trying first, over any true signal boosters.
But from what I read you have to point it directly towards the drone. If the drone is out of sight, how could I know where it exactly is? Is it possible that in such situations, if I don't know the location of the drone and can't point the antenna in its direction I will completely lose the connection(while if I was not using the booster the connection would have been continued)?

Also I did a quick search on Amazon and could not find the windsurfer for my Mini 2. Where can I buy them online/

Thanks for all the replies. From what I read it sounds like Mini 2 has enough range already and a booster might not add much to the range? Am I right? Also the boosters are directional, so when the drone is far away and you can't see it, what happens if you can't point it exactly at the drone? Will it lose connection, while if you were not using the booster it would still be connected?

But from what I read you have to point it directly towards the drone. If the drone is out of sight, how could I know where it exactly is? Is it possible that in such situations, if I don't know the location of the drone and can't point the antenna in its direction I will completely lose the connection(while if I was not using the booster the connection would have been continued)?

Also I did a quick search on Amazon and could not find the windsurfer for my Mini 2. Where can I buy them online/
use Map view.. there is pointer that shows your RC (and your phone) direction (blue dot with arrow)... point your remote to the aircraft blue arrow (or point remote to the red line)

always maintain VLOS...

I am in downtown and I notice that the buildings really cause a loss of signal. Will it work in downtown to boost the signal?
Sorry but I can’t say as I only fly any distance in the country
never in the city. Where I live I wouldn’t need one as my city
is very small.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr James