DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
I can see a use for this product.

I've been repeatedly frustrated when trying to fly low enough to get good pics (or video) of something that is well within the maximum range.

So far, I've been able to fly a maximum distance of ~6 miles (ca. 9,656 m) away with my M3P, when a combination of low battery & low signal strength forced an auto RTH. I had to gradually increase the altitude to the maximum of 400 ft (ca. 122 m), flying along a wide open natural beach with very little infrastructure along only a relatively short section. The farther I flew, the more I had to increase altitude to maintain any useable signal strength.

During that flight, I noticed something on the beach below me. I decided to make a separate flight, so I could examine it more closely.

I had to get MUCH closer in order to fly low enough while maintaining signal strength to take some pics, & even then, the lower I flew, the worse the signal strength got. I had a direct line of sight, yet was limited by the low signal strength.

Not only that, but I've had the very same problem, flying around my small rural town; the lower I flew, the worse the signal strength got, & Yes, this was while maintaining VLOS. Adjusting the direction of the RC controller seemed to make little if any difference.

The whole territory is quite flat; maybe I could do better by climbing up a folding ladder. I doubt that I'd fare well, with my eyes either on the controller, or on the bird itself, & losing my balance & impacting the ground (at my age, not good!)

Bottom line, I'm interested in being able to fly lower, rather than fly farther.

I'm intrigued with this product; the price, not so much.

My bird is still under warranty, so I'll not be performing any mods on it, but 1nce that is over, it's “Katie, bar the doors.”
Don't worry; no remote is usually required for repair during the warranty period.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
No, it was given an interim certificate after passing the FCC and CE testing procedures. The procedure has been put on hold until after the Chinese Spring Festival holiday, when Shenzhen LTT testing Co., Ltd. will be able to provide the official certificate documents.
ok...thanks

you should update this thread when you actually get certification and approval by the FCC

Reactions: Simonkan
Don't worry; no remote is usually required for repair during the warranty period.
Since it's currently chilly/cold in my locale, & thus not conducive to flying, I do have to send my RC controller back for warranty repair; the screen has developed a white-ish blotchy area in the lower-right corner of the screen, visibility varies depending on what's shown on the screen. It doesn't keep me from using it, but it is annoying.

I would have trouble seeing a house at 6 miles away much less a drone that is less than 15 inches across. 6 miles: The average 747 passenger plane flies at about 6.6 miles up in the air. What part of must remain within VLOS is not clear here?
Yes, yes, yes… ofc. Follow the gov't rules.

No matter how much sense they (do or don't) make.

You can see in 1 of the pics I posted, that the area I described that is beyond VLOS, is >water, & what isn't, is unpopulated. You can also see that I maintained an altitude @ or <maximum of 400 ft (ca. 122 m).

Like I'd be worried about flying out in a desert, or over the ocean or other similarly wide-open, remote, unpopulated areas.

I get the 400 ft (ca. 122 m) limit… & the VLOS limit over or around any area with people or property beneath me.

I'd think that if the gov't & the FAA (here in the USSA, at least) had that much of a stranglehold on what UAVs could do, they'd have required them to be limited to VLOS distances; the technology is there, even now, in the existing settings.

Yet, manufacturers like DJI make & sell units which can far exceed that distance, & with the gov't & FAA's blessings.

Just like, the speed limits on various roadways… & who among us can honestly say that they've never exceeded those limits on occasion, & yet some vehicles can do 3x those limits?

But, to blindly follow a rule which lacks any sense or reason, simply because the gov't says so is, to me, being a “sheeple”.

Which I am not.

With my respects.

On Rules

Attachments

• No Limits!.jpg
    No Limits!.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Western highway Winter.jpg
    Western highway Winter.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Western highway with mountains Winter.jpg
    Western highway with mountains Winter.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Haha
Reactions: Tufargon

You can see in 1 of the pics I posted, that the area I described that is beyond VLOS, is >water, & what isn't, is unpopulated. You can also see that I maintained an altitude @ or <maximum of 400 ft (ca. 122 m).

Like I'd be worried about flying out in a desert, or over the ocean or other similarly wide-open, remote, unpopulated areas.

I get the 400 ft (ca. 122 m) limit… & the VLOS limit over or around any area with people or property beneath me.

I'd think that if the gov't & the FAA (here in the USSA, at least) had that much of a stranglehold on what UAVs could do, they'd have required them to be limited to VLOS distances; the technology is there, even now, in the existing settings.

Yet, manufacturers like DJI make & sell units which can far exceed that distance, & with the gov't & FAA's blessings.

Just like, the speed limits on various roadways… & who among us can honestly say that they've never exceeded those limits on occasion, & yet some vehicles can do 3x those limits?

But, to blindly follow a rule which lacks any sense or reason, simply because the gov't says so is, to me, being a “sheeple”.

Which I am not.

With my respects.

On Rules
In that respect pilots of manned aircraft should have the same attitude toward rules and just do as they please. We share the airspace and in areas you mention manned aircraft could conceivably fly legally at less than 500 feet AGL (especially rotor craft) and you would have zero awareness of them at 6 miles away.

A sheep I may be… baa!

Which I am not.

With my respects.

On Rules
Just like all the people that say "I drive better when I'm drunk".
If you want to make a difference, don't break the rules and hope that you don't get caught. Have a voice and talk to the right people in the right places and try that way. Just because you think something is ridiculous doesn't always mean it is. I understand a lot of rules ARE ridiculous but you better be ready to pay the price if you break them. Nobody is gonna say "oh, it's ok because Broomrider thinks it's ok".
There's a difference between sheeple and being responsible and doing the right thing.

Last edited:
“Bottom line, I'm interested in being able to fly lower, rather than fly farther.”

Which I am not.
And this is exactly why we have ever-increasing airspace restrictions for drone operations. Expect more and more of those restrictions.

Reactions: Myetkt
“Bottom line, I'm interested in being able to fly lower, rather than fly farther.”
Best way to accomplish that is to fly from higher ground, which will better allow you to maintain LOS to prevent signal obstruction. Rooftop decks also make a huge difference, even on a house or apartment building. Think multistory parking garages with an open top level. Hotel rooftops. The very buildings blocking your LOS are the best ones to fly from the top of.

Lastly, the Mavic 3 with its 7x telephoto camera can allow you to get the same footage and photos from a much higher elevation, without needing to fly so low that LOS is blocked by intervening structures.

Last edited:
Best way to accomplish that is to fly from higher ground, which will better allow you to maintain LOS to prevent signal obstruction. Rooftop decks also make a huge difference, even on a house or apartment building. Think multistory parking garages with an open top level. Hotel rooftops. The very buildings blocking your LOS are the best ones to fly from the top of.

Lastly, the Mavic 3 with its 7x telephoto camera can allow you to get the same footage and photos from a much higher elevation, without needing to fly so low that LOS is blocked by intervening structures.
I appreciate the advice, but none of it is an option for me.

The ALIENTECH DUO II is a potent and adaptable signal booster that can help your DJI drone's wireless signal have a longer range and be more stable. This dual-band signal booster has a transmission gain of 28-30 dBi and a receiving gain of 23-25 dB, and it is compatible with the 2.4 and 5.8 GHz frequency bands. For use with well-known DJI drone models like the Mavic Pro, Phantom 3/4, Inspire 1/2 Pro, and Matrice 100/300/200/210/600 Pro, this makes it perfect.

The Alientech DUO II's capacity to enhance controllability and extend flight range is one of its main advantages. With its exceptional anti-interference performance, you can easily exceed your drone's flight limit and enjoy a stable, smooth flight even in areas with high interference levels.

The Alientech DUO II is made to be portable and simple to use. Its compact size and quick release feature make it simple to store and transport, and its integrated rechargeable lithium batteries offer continuous use for more than 300 minutes. It is the perfect accessory for both professional and recreational drone pilots because of this.

Therefore, the ALIENTECH DUO II is your best option if you're looking for a dependable and efficient way to improve the wireless signal on your DJI drone. You can expand your drone flying experience thanks to its potent transmission and reception abilities.

• Dual-band signal booster ALIENTECH DUO II supports the 2.4G and 5.8G frequency bands.
  • The wireless signal strength, transmission distance, and signal reception stability of DJI drones can all be improved.
  • The receiving gain is 23–25 dB, while the transmission gain is 28–30 dBi.
  • It has excellent anti-interference performance, increases flight distance while enhancing controllability.
  • The booster is portable, has a quick release feature, and is small in size.
  • It has built-in lithium rechargeable batteries that can run continuously for more than 300 minutes.
  • Wi-Fi and the OcuSync Protocol are supported.
  • Popular DJI drone models like the Mavic Pro, Phantom 3/4, Inspire 1/2 Pro, and Matrice 100/300/200/210/600 Pro are all compatible with it.
  • It is an ideal accessory for professional and hobbyist drone pilots.
This might be just the thing we need!
I'm "Flying" an underground cement tank for visual Engineering inspection.
90' x 40' x 20' and through 4 foot gaps between cement baffled walls in the pitch darkness.
Loss of transmission signal would be death for my bird, as this confined space disallows entry and the "floor" is a foot of liquified waste. There is no possibility of a "Spotter".

Reactions: BroomRider
90' x 40' x 20' and through 4 foot gaps between cement baffled walls in the pitch darkness.
Loss of transmission signal would be death for my bird, as this confined space disallows entry and the "floor" is a foot of liquified waste. There is no possibility of a "Spotter".

if you were a real man, you'd inspect with hip-waders and a flashlight....j/k

I am an Allientech customer. The booster works but is not a miracle if you are expecting 3X the boost. I will say is 1.3X.
Unless you have the drone boosted as well you will not see too much difference. The booster only boosts in one direction and this helps flying with telemetry only more than live feed. Combining Allientech with a drone booster like superdji.com then will make a huge difference.

I personally not boosting my drones anymore since I am happy with OccuSync 3.0 and which is more than sufficient in the area where I live that does not have too much interference and I like to fly legal-keeping VLOS.

There are industrial/commercial-grade drones made specifically for tasks which you describe.

I can't imagine they're inexpensive…

Elios 3

Skycopter

ScoutDI

Just because a rule doesn't make any sense to you doesn't mean that there isn't a perfectly good reason for it - it just means that you don't know what that reason is. The rule has nothing to do with populated areas, it's all about you maintaining situational awareness around your drone and being able to deconflict with any aircraft which may be legitimately operating below 400ft AGL. This is your responsibility and not the pilot of the aircraft.

I am an Allientech customer. The booster works but is not a miracle if you are expecting 3X the boost. I will say is 1.3X.
Unless you have the drone boosted as well you will not see too much difference. The booster only boosts in one direction and this helps flying with telemetry only more than live feed. Combining Allientech with a drone booster like superdji.com then will make a huge difference.

I personally not boosting my drones anymore since I am happy with OccuSync 3.0 and which is more than sufficient in the area where I live that does not have too much interference and I like to fly legal-keeping VLOS.
Do you have the passive booster or the powered version (I think they make 2 versions)?

Reactions: BroomRider
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998