DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anybody else mistrust RTH?

Skewed logic would be to have the RTH feature, never familiarizing yourself with it, using it or testing it, and then complaining when you then tried to use it and it didnt do what you thought or assumed it was going to do. Thats where many people "end up in a "it wasn't my fault" crashed thread." I have seen and repaired enough of them to know. Hopefully in your case it will be there when you need it. <snip>

I "get" the notion of flying the MP home manually, vs using RTH. It's primarily a matter of preference, as noted in a post below, practically every other feature on the Mavic has a computer assist, so it's pretty silly to go all Luddite on the particular feature of RTH.

As far as "flying home manually makes me a better pilot" - I'd call BS on that. Airliner pilots with a bazillion hours of training set autopilots all the time. The automation on a modern jet is even more advanced than the Mavic, enabling touchdown and rollout in zero visibility. Pilots use those capabilities all the time.

RTH? Use or don't use. Your choice, but as Thunderdrones notes, if you DON'T ever use it and deride those who do, please spare the forum the sad tale of how your drone flew away because you screwed up the RTH settings from lack of familiarity! :)

Reactions: fleurdelisxliv
I "get" the notion of flying the MP home manually, vs using RTH. It's primarily a matter of preference, as noted in a post below, practically every other feature on the Mavic has a computer assist, so it's pretty silly to go all Luddite on the particular feature of RTH.

As far as "flying home manually makes me a better pilot" - I'd call BS on that. Airliner pilots with a bazillion hours of training set autopilots all the time. The automation on a modern jet is even more advanced than the Mavic, enabling touchdown and rollout in zero visibility. Pilots use those capabilities all the time.

RTH? Use or don't use. Your choice, but as Thunderdrones notes, if you DON'T ever use it and deride those who do, please spare the forum the sad tale of how your drone flew away because you screwed up the RTH settings from lack of familiarity! :)
For me RTH is a back-up plan for if something goes wrong. To have that capabilty and not be familiar with it and have it set up correctly makes no sense to me.

• Flew away from base no more than 10 ft laterally and up to about 50 ft, and then hit RTH
  • /QUOTE]
My understanding is that RTH doesn't even initiate until you are at least 20m (>60 feet) away from the home point.

I must admit I have no reason to and the couple of times I have tested it it has worked flawlessly but I still find myself always flying home and landing manually. I just get very nervous letting the drone do it's own thing.
I use rth strictly as an emergency. I
Have tested it several times and it seems to work but it also sucks the fun outta flying... Lol. I actually enjoy flying..
And I would only use rth if something happened .. I'm sure it's not perfect and if you use it daily I'm sure you'll have a large enough sample to find a pattern of failure but if used as an emergency, which I assume it was designed for, you'll find it quite satisfactory.

Mine works perfect every single time. I dont use it unless i feel somthing is wrong, outside of testing. I like to land myself. Maybe thats a noob thing idk

RTH is a feature that a Mavic owner should know how to use. New owners especially should test RTH (in an open field, in VLOS) to insure it works and familiarize themselves with how it works. Specifically, how to set up properly. Too many Mavics have crashed because RTH caused it to rise up into an obstruction, and then RTH is blamed for the crash instead of the pilot that did not set it up properly. If you learn how to set it up, use it, and then test it, you should be able to trust it.

There is one hitch worth noting; the M2 does not have precision landing available (at this time) so it should land close to the home point. If your home point has some tight clearances this could cause a problem.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
themass31