DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone know what these are used for on top of the hill?

From Wikipedia: "Mount Lee continues to be the site of various non-commercial radio activities, but television transmissions ceased from that location in October 1951...The large tower atop Mount Lee today is owned and operated by the City of Los Angeles. It is a newer structure which replaced the original W6XAO tower some years ago. Smaller tenants on the site have included some federal government and amateur radio users."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Lee

If those amateur radio guys are using frequencies close to the DJI frequencies for drone control or video, then you *might* experience some interference. "You-milegae-may-vary" :D

very unlikely they are broadcasting on WIFI frequencies
MIght now be transmitting on WiFi frequencies, but being close enough to a high power signal of any frequency can effectively "blind" a drone receiver. It's not guaranteed, just possible. I used to used to enjoy annoying my little sister by sitting outside her bedroom window while I had conversations with friends on my ham radio. Each time I would key the mic, the broadcast radio station she was listening to would drop out completely. But you have to be very close in order to make that happen. If I moved just 10 feet further away, she couldn't tell I was doing anything. And that was with a very low .5 watt on an omni directional antenna. The antennas on this mountain are highly directional and using much more power than I ever used, so it's conceivable that the "blinding" effect on a transceiver from these antennas could potentially be a bit further out than one might expect. Again, possible, not guaranteed.

Back in the 70's the city also ran "repeaters" for LAPD and other city freq's from there. Don't think they still do, to much has changed since then.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Duhr