DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone know what these are used for on top of the hill?

i did not get right on top up close and personal to the sign. but i hiked up the trails to a good spot and flew around for a bit. some of my videos glitched a bit, but again the Phantom 3 4k is a wifi setup. not ocusync.

Reactions: ATW
Around 1939, a transmission building and transmission tower were built on the land. The 300-foot transmission tower's signal could reach into the city and the valley. The tower and centre were later utilized by the U.S. government during World War II and into the Cold War.

Just watch out for any supporting cables if you get close. The taller towers have guy wires for stability. They will be almost invisible from your vantage point, and the drone's obstacle sensors won't always see them either.

The majority are micro wave dishes. They are directional and the hilltop gives a good shot at downtown for that purpose. There are a few cell antenna there as well and of course how can you miss the big radio antenna (KTLA) but the main use was micro wave transmissions. Remember back in the 70's when "the micro waves are frying my brain man" movement at the time?

More than likely, those are radio towers. They transmit, but some are used for receiving and or transmitting music, etc. I don't think they will harm your radio signals, but it is a transmitter in any case. Pound for pound, it's nothing of concern.

Make sure you get approved for flight.

Looks like you are near an airport.

Screenshot_20210419-132953~2.pngI'm

That’s the Mt. Lee transmitter facility. Mostly it’s used for governmental, non-commercial, two-way and public service radio and lots of microwave relay. It was originally built for TV but today Mt. Wilson Is the preferred site for LA over the air TV and FM stations.

We have lots of these in the UK. They are normally used for terrestrial TV (i.e. not cable or satellite, or public service as they are called in the US) and radio as repeater stations.
These days they mostly always have 3G/4G/5G masts and various other things attached for various other purposes.

Can they interfere with my drone? The distance from me to the drone would be about 1/3 mile.View attachment 127708
I live two miles from the sign. That’s a radio and television tower and that area requires LAANC approval to get 300 feet.

I still would never fly there. So much going on that you’re almost asking for a highly publicized, embarrassing accident.

Last edited:
They are all antennas for repeaters for various services that require radio transmissions. Most of the little bubble type objects you are highly directional antennas for VHF, UHF, and SHF radio waves. If you follow the line of sight of these bubbles (the flat side points in the direction that radio signal travels) you will most likely find another similar looking device along that path. These can be anywhere from cell phone signals, to police radio signals for services like water, electricity, sewage workers. The vertical antennas are omnidirectional antennas that would be used for things like television pictures and audio transmissions. A lot of those antennas up there, the omnidirectional and highly directional, can be pushing several hundred watts of power. That's not as big an issue for the omnidirectional antenna since their signal dissipates fairly quickly, but if you fly your drone in the path of the directional antennas at fairly close range, you are risking losing contact with the bird. Even though they operate on different frequencies, that powerful signal can blind the receiver on the drone until it is no longer in front of the antenna. That being said, you still have to be fairly close for that to happen. But the combined power of the scores of signals coming from that mess of antennas up there can be problematic at times.
I'm a ham operator and have serviced our repeater system on top of Santa Rosa mountain just a bit to the east of you and we had a lot of those exact same type of antennas that were powered by the various radios in our shack and powered by our generator. We didn't have as many as the Hollywood mountain has, but we still suffered radio interference when we were in close proximity to the shack. It's easy to understand interference on a much bigger scale from the mass of antennas you pictured.

Reactions: dronerdave
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrantleyB