DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can a RID Module on top of a Drone interfere with the Drone's GPS reception?

LoudThunder

Part 107 Licensed
Reactions
Can positioning a Remote Identification (RID) Module on top of a Drone interfere with the Drone's GPS reception?

I saw an advertisement for the "Holy Stone Drone Remote ID Module" and the instructions include suggested locations to install the module and one of the warnings is " Steer clear directly overlaying or being too close to electronic parts"

So, has anyone found that a RID Module might interfere with or weaken the GPS signal that a Drone depends upon to operate?

And here are a couple of videos…

This is the reason I purchased internals. If you place a strap on module on the back of the Mavic 1 it covers the GPS, If you try and cram it in the front -No compass. On top of the Battery? WELL the instructions tell you that's not good. Maybe you strap them to the landing legs?!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
PER-- DroneTags Instructions sent with strap on modules :
It is critically important that the RID module be mounted away from electrical current sources which can produce electromagnetic interference (EMI), such as batteries, wires, and other electrical equipment on the drone.

This is the main reason I purchased Internals.
Soooo…..basically, if you don’t own a “newer” drone with built in RID, you’re “probably” gonna have problems. BUT, at least you’ll be compliant ! Makes sense. Right ?

• Wow
Soooo…..basically, if you don’t own a “newer” drone with built in RID, you’re “probably” gonna have problems. BUT, at least you’ll be compliant ! Makes sense. Right ?
I deleted that because it pertained to a certian module BUT- YES you will need to research your particular drone for placement- If you plan to use your Module to fly recreationally.
For part 107 then I would hold off for some more clarity in the regs- because as the rule is written NOW you will only be able to use Standard RID on your drone. What does that mean? As of this date it means in order to comply under part 107 your RID MUST be installed by the Manufacturer and therefore you cannot use a module for 107 work. Unless DJI placed that module for you AND has gotten a certificate of compliance from the FAA for the process they use to strap on your RID module.
You cannot place an RID module yourself- for part 107- UNLESS you hold a certificate of compliance with the FAA.
P.S. Don't kill the messenger!
CLARIFIED IN POST 9

Last edited:
  • Wow
This is the reason I purchased internals. If you place a strap on module on the back of the Mavic 1 it covers the GPS, If you try and cram it in the front -No compass. On top of the Battery? WELL the instructions tell you that's not good. Maybe you strap them to the landing legs?!
I read the RID placement instructions and it said 'not to place RID over or close to other electrical components such as flight controller, IMU, antennas, RF transceivers'. Did not mention battery. Wonder if they were referring to something that transmits/receives, and not the battery? Not sure, but I think placing on the battery would not have a negative affect of the operation.

• Wow
For part 107 then I would hold off for some more clarity in the regs- because as the rule is written NOW you will only be able to use Standard RID on your drone. What does that mean? As of this date it means in order to comply under part 107 your RID MUST be installed by the Manufacturer and therefore you cannot use a module for 107 work. Unless DJI placed that module for you AND has gotten a certificate of compliance from the FAA for the process they use to strap on your RID module.
You cannot place an RID module yourself- for part 107- UNLESS you hold a certificate of compliance with the FAA.
Can you provide the FAA source where you found this information?

Sorry in advance don,t panic READ post #9
The info you seek can be found at the FPV Freedom Coalition Communities Website- This little part of the rule is being debated hotly on that and other sites, Considering the fact that the FAA told us that we could install our own RID to be compliant. and now as it turns out they are saying "Oh well we meant for recreational purposes"
As someone that likes to build Drones this leaves me in the dark on how it is I am supposed to install an RID module without having to apply for compliance, like all other Drone manufacturers or Do I simply tell people that they cannot use my drones under Part 107? I would LOVE to have an FAA official tell me that I can Legally install RID and be Part 107 compliant BUT- Since I do not have NOR have I applied for a certificate- The way it is written I cannot!!
BUT Maybe we can debate this on a post dedicated for it because LoudThunder is gonna get a little peeved lol If we Hijack his post Sorry
Maybe a moderator will separate it for us.
BUT the rule is there- I am understanding it as well as others are. I would be thrilled to hear that it is not so.-Lets find out together Shall we :)

Last edited:
  • Wow
The info you seek can be found at the FPV Freedom Coalition Communities Website
What I'm actually asking is for you to share the source where the FAA stated this. I wasn't able to find anything on this coming directly from the FAA.

Hopefully MY confusion is not confusing others.
I am Being told that this is indeed the rule if your drone is produced after The The date of the implementation of the rule
SO If you have a DJI drone made before that time You can put a module on
BUT any drone made after that date will be required to have standard RID --Doesn't answer the home install question for homebuilts but It seems to be OK to put a module on an older DJI Drone and fly 107.
Hopefully MY confusion is not confusing others.
We builders are still stuck We cannot install a module without getting a certificate of compliance!

Last edited:
  • Wow
I am Being told that this is indeed the rule if your drone is produced after The The date of the implementation of the rule
SO If you have a DJI drone made before that time you can put a module on
BUT any drone made after that date will be required to have standard RID
Thanks! And if you can cite a source on the FAA's website, that would be even more helpful.

Sorry I Couldn't get the link to work Its in PDF but you may search for and read the Final rules here:
DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Federal Aviation Administration
14 CFR Parts 1, 11, 47, 48, 89, 91, and 107
[Docket No.: FAA-2019-1100; Amdt. Nos. 1-75, 11-63, 47-31, 48-3, 89-1, 91-361, and 107-7]
RIN 2120–AL31
Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft

Maybe you can help me find out how to build a Drone with RID at home after today without submitting and keeping gosh knows How much in paperwork and for how long?!

I am keeping the other posts up so that others may chime in and correct me if this is indeed unfounded.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Sorry I Couldn't get the link to work Its in PDF but you may search for and read the Final rules here
That rule can be found here:

Where exactly in that rule does it state what you shared above? Feel free to quote the text from the rule here and I can search for it if that's easier for you.

• Wow
I deleted that because it pertained to a certian module BUT- YES you will need to research your particular drone for placement- If you plan to use your Module to fly recreationally.
P.S. Don't kill the messenger!
CLARIFIED IN POST 9
Just another way the screws are tightening to keep the little guys out of the air.
You HAVE to be RID compliant, you HAVE you have a module if your drone’s NOT compliant, and now you HAVE to have an engineering degree to find out exactly WHERE to put the module. When’s this all gonna be enough ??

• Wow
and now you HAVE to have an engineering degree to find out exactly WHERE to put the module. When’s this all gonna be enough ??
Referring back to @LoudThunder's original question above, I think it might be as simple as not placing the module over top of the GPS receiver. I'm not sure it would interfere with other electronic equipment onboard.

Referring back to @LoudThunder's original question above, I think it might be as simple as not placing the module over top of the GPS receiver. I'm not sure it would interfere with other electronic equipment onboard.
That’d be fine. IF we knew where the GPS receiver was on all the different drones out there, and where any other components are that “may” be interfered with.
I’m just sayin, HOW many more hoops are gonna be put out there to jump through ?? I’m a recreational flyer, I don’t make any money flying my drones. My opinion, it’s all gettin a little much.

• Wow
That’d be fine. IF we knew where the GPS receiver was on all the different drones out there
That's super easy to find. Search on YouTube for "Mavic 3 teardown" (replace your model of course) to find a video showing where the GPS receiver is located.

I’m just sayin, HOW many more hoops are gonna be put out there to jump through ??
Are there really that many hoops to jump through? The process seems pretty straightforward and easy to follow.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas