DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

When will someone make an Anti-RID transmission module you can put on your drone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of questioning one another's patriotism, hurling accusatory insults back and forth, and speculating about which entities have the authority to enforce FAA regulations, let's consider the applicable reference in Title 14, Code of Federal Regulations. The following should answer the original poster's question:

14CFR89.320 (e) Interference Considerations. The remote identification broadcast module must not interfere with other systems or equipment installed on compatible unmanned aircraft, and other systems or equipment installed on compatible unmanned aircraft must not interfere with the remote identification equipment. (emphasis italicized)

Take it for what it's worth. Everything else is opinion.

I urge everyone to familiarize themselves with Part 89 of 14 CFR. One can opt to comply or not and is free to gauge how much risk they're willing to take vs. reward, but if anyone chooses to violate the law and is somehow caught and cited, then the courts will determine such matters as intent, the severity of the offense, and penalties.

Of course they are not obligated to do so, you got that right: State Troopers are not obligated to enforce Federal laws. [...] I think I've made it clear from the very beginning that not only do I believe the deputies and officers shouldn't be forced but also they couldn't do it even if they wanted to.

Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. Clearly you didn't even skim Printz v. United States, but would rather remain an ignoramus (I use this in the clinical sense, not the more common derogatory sense).

Reactions: Myetkt
In writing like a fee or fine schedule; similar to the one at your municipal court.

That's all I am asking for, not anarchist about that. Are you really trying to derail this conversation with that? Bet, that's what I suggesting for Congress to do in the future, I'm just asking you if you support it not. Why can't you say "No I am against such a fee schedule.

Why should I?

I won't name-call, but I don't believe you when you said you read my citations. It is impossible for anyone to read Printz v. United States, and conclude that State and local LEOs do not have the authority to enforce Federal Law.

They do, and they do it all the time.

Done with this side-argument.

Local police CANNOT enforce ANY federal law !! They MUST be deputized by an officer of the Federal Government. Local law enforcement officers work in conjunction with federal officers NOT As federal officers- unless they have been deputized............Its the LAW.

Read the SCOTUS decision in Printz v. United States.

That's current law.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
The Major problem with local police enforcing federal law Would be Tax misappropriation.
Local police forces are funded thru local taxpayers who expect their local laws enforced, Tax dollars are set aside for local law enforcement NOT federal law enforcement. I would say that any local law enforcement agency investigating Federal crimes are guilty of a crime themselves. not to mention Local police officers are not trained in federal law and it would seem to me that letting them freely get involved in a federal investigation would do alot more harm than good.

I will read the SCOTUS but thats my 2 cents on it.

The Major problem with local police enforcing federal law Would be Tax misappropriation.
Local police forces are funded thru local taxpayers who expect their local laws enforced, Tax dollars are set aside for local law enforcement NOT federal law enforcement. I would say that any local law enforcement agency investigating Federal crimes are guilty of a crime themselves. not to mention Local police officers are not trained in federal law and it would seem to me that letting them freely get involved in a federal investigation would do alot more harm than good.

I will read the SCOTUS but thats my 2 cents on it.
Wrong, mail theft is a federal crime and local police book all the time for it. Saying local law enforcement investigation federal crimes are guilty of a crime themselves is absurd.
Bank robbery, 18 US Code 2113, counterfeit money, there isn’t a federal law out there that local police can’t arrest for and it doesn’t make any of them guilty of a crime for doing it.

Last edited:
Wrong, mail theft is a federal crime and local police book all the time for it. Saying local law enforcement investigation federal crimes are guilty of a crime themselves is absurd.
Mail theft is also a local crime along with drug distribution bank robbery and other Crimes that you may think are only Federal.
the local police will arrest you for theft
IF the postal people want to get involved THEY will press federal charges and pursue the case. There would be quite the meeting at your local tax assessors office if all of your police force was out Policing Federal Laws and not tending to traffic and such.
Its not a decision any police chief would make and it just would never happen UNLESS that agency was working in conjunction with and was headed by a Federal Agency.

Last edited:
Mail theft is also a local crime along with drug distribution bank robbery and other Crimes that you may think are only Federal.
IF the postal people want to get involved THEY will press federal charges and pursue the case. There would be quite the meeting at your local tax assessors office if all of your police force was out Policing Federal Laws and not tending to traffic and such.
Its not a decision any police chief would make and it just would never happen UNLESS that agency was working in conjunction with and was headed by a Federal Agency.
And your qualifications for making this statement?

This I agree with 100%. Hence the point that they are not obligated to. They haven't the resources to do the Fed's job. They have their own full-time responsibilities.

Investigate? Not the same thing as enforcement. The latter consists mostly of arrest/citation, not gumshoe work. Local and state detectives investigate alleged violations of state crimes (and local PD's local ordinances), and federal agencies investigate alleged federal crimes.

However, a local city cop can most certainly write you a citation for BVLOS if she knew to, and it will be forwarded to the regional US Attorney for further action.

Most federal laws would never get enforced if only the FBI could enforce them. After all, they're busy investigating parents for being "threats" at school board meetings.

This I agree with 100%. Hence the point that they are not obligated to. They haven't the resources to do the Fed's job. They have their own full-time responsibilities.

Investigate? Not the same thing as enforcement. The latter consists mostly of arrest/citation, not gumshoe work. Local and state detectives investigate alleged violations of state crimes (and local PD's local ordinances), and federal agencies investigate alleged federal crimes.

However, a local city cop can most certainly write you a citation for BVLOS if she knew to, and it will be forwarded to the regional US Attorney for further action.

Most federal laws would never get enforced if only the FBI could enforce them. After all, they're busy investigating parents for being "threats" at school board meetings.
Absolutely correct.

IF the postal people want to get involved THEY will press federal charges and pursue the case.

Correct, and in fact mail theft is prosecuted under state law much more often than in Federal Court. Even if a state has no explicit statute addressing mail theft, it can still be charged as a state crime under general theft and burglary statutes.

The feds usually only get involved when it's a big case, or crosses state lines and involves multiple states.

Ignorance is bliss, I suppose. Clearly you didn't even skim Printz v. United States, but would rather remain an ignoramus (I use this in the clinical sense, not the more common derogatory sense).
I skimmed it but I really didn't need to since I was already family with Printz and honestly, it's not the case you think it is. Maybe we are talking past each other on this one because it's clear even those Printz has mostly to do with Federal policies and procedures and directives to administrators and legislators and not federal laws and the law enforcement community. Unfortunately you chose a case dealing with a super controversial subject at the time so the results could be unpredictable; however, being a huge supporter of the Constitution and especially the 2nd and the 10th, I am completely familiar with what went on here and why it happened and under no circumstances did this case give state and local law enforcement the right to enforce federal laws. I've already mentioned there are excepts like directives and task forces and special agreement where there is overlap so maybe that's where the confusion comes in.

I won't name-call, but I don't believe you when you said you read my citations. It is impossible for anyone to read Printz v. United States, and conclude that State and local LEOs do not have the authority to enforce Federal Law.

They do, and they do it all the time.

Done with this side-argument.

Sure I did but I only skimmed them before I quickly decided it doesn't apply; however, I'm open to going back to it if you have something specific you want to point out.

Maybe you can watch this 2 short videos and provide your comments, otherwise sure I'm happy to be done with, too.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And your qualifications for making this statement?
Qualifications??? I am a taxpayer ( I Know where my taxes should be going)
I am a citizen of my City ( I keep abreast of local laws and last I checked Theft was on the list)
I have relatives that are in law enforcement some federal. I know a little about the duties of law enforcement. as well as the finickyness of Voters.
I also know a few people in the upper echelons of law enforcement and any one of them would tell you that to just give resources to other agencies or allow officers to go around enforcing every law local and federal without limit is a good way to get oneself thrown out of office on a rail.
Our local police cannot fund shoplifting calls! These calls are now handled over the phone!! NOW imagine the reaction of the voters if we were to find out the money used for shoplifting was used instead to Police hobbyist with their Drones!!!

Drone pilots receive citations if they break a law and if a local law enforcement officer writes a citation, it has to include the statute that was broken and it has to show the jurisdiction (such as the municipal court). Are you suggesting a city police officer would issue a ticket for a CFR violation and send it to the federal court for adjudication or are you simply said the police would take down your details and then send it to the US Atty or the FAA? I can agree with the latter BUT....

My original question has already been and still is a law to prevent a warrantless arrest (citation) and/or confiscation by law enforcement on federal drone laws which I cannot seem to get you to agree with. Is there a reason why you want local law enforcement to have the ability or the option to do these things? At this point, I feel like we've lost a little bit of the context why it's so important to hash this out *now* rather than wait for the climate to change and this becomes a problem (which it is NOT a problem today).

I am a citizen of my City ( I keep abreast of local laws and last I checked Theft was on the list)
I have relatives that are in law enforcement some federal. I know a little about the duties of law enforcement. as well as the finickyness of Voters.
I also know a few people in the upper echelons of law enforcement and any one of them would tell you that to just give resources to other agencies or allow officers to go around enforcing every law local and federal without limit is a good way to get oneself thrown out of office on a rail.
Our local police cannot fund shoplifting calls! These calls are now handled over the phone!! NOW imagine the reaction of the voters if we were to find out the money used for shoplifting was used instead to Police hobbyist with their Drones!!!
No one is saying that, as has been explained now a number of time. Not once in my 28 years working for the largest Sheriff’s Department in the country did I ever hear another deputy say I’m going to go out and look for a federal crime. But if I or any of my partners stumble on a federal crime, you can bet we could book on it. I can also tell you from experience that any federal crime would be assigned to station DB and CCed to the appropriate federal agency. But just as I may or may not cite someone for running a stop sign,I can do the same to you flying your drone above 400 feet. But I guarantee, working the busiest station in the county I had a lot more fires to put out all day long than to worry about a toy drone.

By the way, I pay taxes too, and know a lot of people.

Drone pilots receive citations if they break a law and if a local law enforcement officer writes a citation, it has to include the statute that was broken and it has to show the jurisdiction (such as the municipal court). Are you suggesting a city police officer would issue a ticket for a CFR violation and send it to the federal court for adjudication or are you simply said the police would take down your details and then send it to the US Atty or the FAA? I can agree with the latter BUT....

My original question has already been and still is a law to prevent a warrantless arrest (citation) and/or confiscation by law enforcement on federal drone laws which I cannot seem to get you to agree with. Is there a reason why you want local law enforcement to have the ability or the option to do these things? At this point, I feel like we've lost a little bit of the context why it's so important to hash this out *now* rather than wait for the climate to change and this becomes a problem (which it is NOT a problem today).
I have nothing better to do all day and could stay and argue how wrong you are, but frankly it’s simply no fun anymore. Hopefully, people can see your nonsense and realize what they are dealing with and run away.

Reactions: MARK (LI)

I think there are two different issues we're co-mingling that are seperable.

Do local and state LEOs have the authority to enforce Federal Law?

Second, are they charged with doing so?

Yes to the first, no to the second.

Setting aside Printz v. United States, in general any law enforcement officer has the authority to enforce law at any government level if they see a crime taking place. An FBI agent has the legal authority to arrest, cuff, and detain a mugger when he sees the crime, hold the perp, and then turn him over to local PD when they arrive.

You, private citizen, do not – even with your awesome "citizen's arrest" authority 😁

Imagine the outcry if that FBI agent had to stand there 10ft away and do nothing. He was interviewed, and it was all over the news. Not allowed to intervene, by law. Stated he really wanted to help the old lady, but all he was allowed to do was call 911.

And it wouldn't be the only story like this.

Lawmakers would respond. The law would change quickly.

Thankfully, that's not the way it is.

Reactions: Cafguy
I read your cases and your analysis examples and you should probably go over them with your lawyers since they don't mean what you think they do.
I skimmed it but I really didn't need to since I was already family with Printz

Lied. As I thought.

The truth is, you didn't even know about Printz v. United States until I mentioned it, and have never read it. Which explains the puzzling things you've said about it.

The Local police AT THEIR DISCRETION forward reports involving RC vehicles to the FAA. IF you cause significant Damage OR you cause an Injury the Police WILL forward that report to the Federal Officials for prosecution They CANNOT and WILL NOT arrest you for BVOL they havnt the Training nor the Authority to make such an arrest.
And any officer can intervene in a crime they witness but so can a citizen who is armed under some circumstances.

I have nothing better to do all day and could stay and argue how wrong you are, but frankly it’s simply no fun anymore. Hopefully, people can see your nonsense and realize what they are dealing with and run away.
Agreed, you've had your fun and it's no longer "funny" to you so fine; hopefully you'll stop trolling each and every one of my comments with the weird smiley laughing icon, too. Now that you have admitted you are current or ex LEO, that puts a different perspective on your posts, at least for me.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member