DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

If you did not buy your DJI Drone in the US, is it RID Compliant in the US?

LoudThunder

Part 107 Licensed
Reactions
DJI has advertised that all drones (no matter where they are marketed…) produced after September 2022 are RID Capable and if they are not yet compliant, those drones are only an update away…

There was no mention of the Mini, the Mini 2, the Mini SE, or the Mini SE 2; all sub 250-gram drones, produced after September 2022 in the write-up.

That being said, a drone marketed in Europe or Asia (or anywhere…) and brought to the US would transmit RID as if the drone had been bought in Lebanon, Kansas (the Heart of America…).

I also read that DJI RID Enabled drones will only transmit RID in countries that require it by law. If the location has no RID requirement, then no RID is transmitted. The Geo Fencing Firmware takes care of this…

If your drone is not RID capable (therefore, not compliant…) then you might be required to install a RID Module… Requirement factors include: location of flight, drone weight, and the flight classification--Recreational or Commercial use, and possible other factors...

Additionally, it is incumbent on the pilot to contact the authorities in any country they might be visiting to determine certification and training requirements for the pilot, any registration requirements for the drone, any declarations required by customs, and any RID requirements, especially if a RID module is required, and any other special purpose situation.

Below is the chart displaying the RID requirements as accepted by most nations of the world…

RID Standards.jpg

It doesn't matter where you buy your DJI drone, as soon as you start it and detects where it is through GPS it will change to CE/FCC and also adapt to the RID regulation and apply any additional restriction, like the India 15m height limit or the C0 120m altitude limit for the Mini 4, for example.

DJI is all about babysitting, so you don't need to do anything, it's like buying a car that doesn't start the engine if you don't put your seatbelt, or can't go past the speed it reads on the road signs, and that transmit to everyone at 3.5Km your location and telemetry.

So be assured your DJI drone (from 2020 on approx) will comply with everything no matter where you are.

Last edited:
I can't find anything on the internet about what countries require RID.
Which countries require Remote Identification in drones is still in a state of flux, for example, the United Kingdom (the UK), does not require it in hobbyists Drones and but it is still an on-going conversation over there…

The latest from the Civilian Aviation Authority in the UK…

"It is currently estimated that implementation of RID would take 18-24 months. The project is currently in the design phase until September 2023. One of the major changes that is being explored as part of the RID system is mandating that drones will not be able to fly unless Remote ID is enabled."

Here is a concise list of the drones laws in most of Europe…

So, the byword is: "Keep your head low and your powder dry, this one isn't over yet…"

I can't find anything on the internet about what countries require RID. But I found Antarctica bans drones, so I canceled my trip there!

Under what authority? "Antarctica" is simply a continent, not a sovereign jurisdiction with a body of law.

Interesting. I do know that Remote ID does function on my Mini 3 and Air 2S here in Canada, where it is not required. At least partially works, the app I used detected the aircraft when I first started the app, but did not update in real time afterwards. I don't know if that's just an app glitch or what.

Under what authority? "Antarctica" is simply a continent, not a sovereign jurisdiction with a body of law.
What do you know! Drones are banned in Antartica by the authority of the Antarctic Treaty System - the Seven Nation system that co-governs the continent. Interesting.

What do you know! Drones are banned in Antartica by the authority of the Antarctic Treaty System - the Seven Nation system that co-governs the continent. Interesting.

Enforced by who?

In any case, it's meaningless and silly. Launch a drone out there on the ice, and if anyone even notices, no one's coming to enforce the treaty for something like that.

What a comic idea. I'll bet drones are flown on and off down there all the time. Hey, waddya know? Here's one from Poseidon Expeditions (awesome video, btw). You suppose they got a waiver? Who did they call? All seven countries? 🤣

I hope you see the point... A "law" that no one's going to expend resources enforcing is simply gubmint mandarin blather, nothing more.

Why is the drone ban in the treaty? Because they could! there's no one's sovereignty being compromised, no controlling Supreme Law (like the Constitution in the US) limiting what they can put in that treaty. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a ban on prostitution too. Strictly enforced, no doubt 😁

In the end, there are a handful of important terms that everyone is willing to use their own resources to enforce – when it's in their interest – and then a bunch of nonsense that no one really cares about that was adopted to get people to shut up and ratify it.

Fairly routine geopolitics 😉

Enforced by who?

In any case, it's meaningless and silly. Launch a drone out there on the ice, and if anyone even notices, no one's coming to enforce the treaty for something like that.

What a comic idea. I'll bet drones are flown on and off down there all the time. Hey, waddya know? Here's one from Poseidon Expeditions (awesome video, btw). You suppose they got a waiver? Who did they call? All seven countries? 🤣

I hope you see the point... A "law" that no one's going to expend resources enforcing is simply gubmint mandarin blather, nothing more.

Why is the drone ban in the treaty? Because they could! there's no one's sovereignty being compromised, no controlling Supreme Law (like the Constitution in the US) limiting what they can put in that treaty. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a ban on prostitution too. Strictly enforced, no doubt 😁

In the end, there are a handful of important terms that everyone is willing to use their own resources to enforce – when it's in their interest – and then a bunch of nonsense that no one really cares about that was adopted to get people to shut up and ratify it.

Fairly routine geopolitics 😉

Reactions: LoudThunder

From the article:

"The International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators (IAATO) has deemed that drone use in such an inhospitable environment will be detrimental to the local wildlife and the environment.​

I see. Almost fell on the floor laughing. This is hilarious.

So... if I take a drone to Antarctica and fly it, should I expect the IAATO Police Division to show up and arrest me?

What a scam. A private association of private for-profit tour operators declares drones are banned on international soil, then act as gate-keepers to having the privilege of shooting imagery with drones.

Good luck enforcing that. Given the rugged nature of the locale, I would expect any party exploring on their own to be armed well. I doubt they'd take kindly to some jaboney walking up to them and saying, "HI! I'm from the IAATO, a private association of Antarctic tour operators. We've decided drones are prohibited in Antarctica. You will have to land and allow me to confiscate you equipment."

Man, I would pay to watch that with a box of popcorn 🍿

Forget flying drones in the Antarctica, what is more important is that starting last Sunday, workers at the main United States base in Antarctica will no longer be able to walk into a bar and order a beer, after the U.S. federal agency that oversees the research program decided to stop serving alcohol.

For the time being, the Bars are still open but only non-alcoholic beverages are served. It is not a blanket prohibition, you can still buy your favorite alcoholic beverage in the commissary and the new rules do not prohibit BYOB (bringing your own bottle) to the bar and making your own drinks…

I guess that is what happens when you really do not think a thing through and take "crisis" action…

Are we still talking about alcohol in Antarctica? It's beginning to sound like the way RID was implemented… L o L . . .

Reactions: Torque
I do know that Remote ID does function on my Mini 3 and Air 2S here in Canada, where it is not required.
I saw a video put out by the DPAC and glanced at the proposal submitted to the Transport Canada… Interesting, it seems that your government might actually listen the citizens of your country. It seems that our government seems to think they know better than anyone what is best for its citizens…

Your location in Hamilton puts you only about 50-miles from the US border. Perhaps the Geo Fencing that determines your rules of flight, hic-cupped a bit and fired off the RID only to correct it when it updated its Home Point.

Last edited:
I would expect any party exploring on their own to be armed well
Why would they need to be armed, the largest creatures (other than other humans…) are the Emperor Penguins, and unless you challenge them to a Belly Race, you can easily out walk them…

tenor (1).gif

From the article:

"The International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators (IAATO) has deemed that drone use in such an inhospitable environment will be detrimental to the local wildlife and the environment.​

I see. Almost fell on the floor laughing. This is hilarious.

So... if I take a drone to Antarctica and fly it, should I expect the IAATO Police Division to show up and arrest me?

What a scam. A private association of private for-profit tour operators declares drones are banned on international soil, then act as gate-keepers to having the privilege of shooting imagery with drones.

Good luck enforcing that. Given the rugged nature of the locale, I would expect any party exploring on their own to be armed well. I doubt they'd take kindly to some jaboney walking up to them and saying, "HI! I'm from the IAATO, a private association of Antarctic tour operators. We've decided drones are prohibited in Antarctica. You will have to land and allow me to confiscate you equipment."

Man, I would pay to watch that with a box of popcorn 🍿
I guess it just comes down to respect?
I mean I know very well that I could fly my drone in many areas where they are banned. Probably drain at least one battery and be gone before any governing body shows up to arrest me and confiscate my drone (except maybe at Burning Man, probably get busted quickly there right?). For instance there are a few prime places in Mt Rainier National Park where I know I could launch undected, grab some great aerial shots and probably never be noticed. But I don't.
Not because I'm worried about "the Man" coming for me, but out of respect. My ethics guide me, not fear of authority. I can understand the impact a crashed drone could potentially have on either of those environments, and I respect the decision of the governing body, whether they have armed police to enforce their regulations or simply depend on me being a decent, respectful member of the global community to check myself.

I mean I know very well that I could fly my drone in many areas where they are banned. Probably drain at least one battery and be gone before any governing body shows up to arrest me and confiscate my drone (except maybe at Burning Man, probably get busted quickly there right?). For instance there are a few prime places in Mt Rainier National Park where I know I could launch undected, grab some great aerial shots and probably never be noticed. But I don't.
Not because I'm worried about "the Man" coming for me, but out of respect. My ethics guide me, not fear of authority. I can understand the impact a crashed drone could potentially have on either of those environments, and I respect the decision of the governing body, whether they have armed police to enforce their regulations or simply depend on me being a decent, respectful member of the global community to check myself.
Reminds me of a quote I heard several times over the years: "integrity means doing the right thing, even when no one is watching."

Reactions: Torque
Why would they need to be armed, the largest creatures (other than other humans…) are the Emperor Penguins, and unless you challenge them to a Belly Race, you can easily out walk them…

View attachment 168959

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, in the old days... In 2023 you've got to protect yourself from IAATO Enforcers... 🤣

• Haha

Does it?

I respect people and organizations that reasonably deserve it.

I have little respect for Karens.

IMO, and it's just that, an opinion, is that the IAATO the equivalent to a Karen.

If some committee at the UN designated certain international areas as sensitive and shouldn't be flown, I'd respect that.

When a private association of Tour Operators asserts control over where they make their money doing tours, demand that you pay them big bucks for permission to fly your drone – permission they have no authority to deny – my deep suspicion klaxons go off.

They're able to do this because of the reasons stated in that article... It's very, very hard to mount any sort of expedition to the Antarctic.

In any realistic scenario, I'd be on one of their tours, jumping through their hoops to fly my drone if I really wanted to film Antarctica.

For practical reasons, not out of respect for their arrogant butts.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne