DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone use an Nvidia Shield for flight?

MacNobody

Reactions
I have a chance to pick one up for a song and wanted to see if anyone had any experience

I used one for a while, sold it about a month ago for 65 quid, worked fine except battery life has been compromised but recent updates, having a stylus was pretty useful though.
galaxy tab a6 now working instead, lots more memory

Yeah but I'm not paying 600 or more clams for something that will stay in my drone case and only get used when I get to fly.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
I fly with one. Got it from Amazon for about 200 USD. I like it but the screen isn't as bright as I'd like it so you need a screen shade. One of these days I would like to get a CS and then my son can have it to play games on like it was intended for. It's fast enough with hardly any lag. It has an SD slot so memory isn't really an issue for me. I dont save anything to it anyway. It's far better than the Nexus I was using. The Nexus would reset itself during flights and was frustrating. If its cheap I'd get it.

I have a chance to pick one up for a song and wanted to see if anyone had any experience
Back in the early days it was the best flying tablet you could get.
But things have moved on since then and the app is a lot more demanding now and 2GB of memory isn't really enough.
I used one but retired it 1.5 years ago when the app started glitching.
The Huawei M3 or M5 is probably the best Android tablet for flying these days.

Shield is a little beauty :)
Still only Android tablet in existence with HDMI output.

Handles anything graphically DJi GO can throw at it. And games are not a problem.
Only negative i can say about it is the screen is gloss, so can be shiny in the sun.
No worse than any other though
Also the lack of LTE bothers me. But that would have been a luxury for a Android mini tablet.

There was a "3G LTE/32gb" version offered when it first came out, but it was fairly limited, and only worked for 1 or 2 Carriers
in United States.
Also the first version had some battery issues/recalls.

So look for the K1 version. Identical except for the missing stylus that you dont miss

Some people say it works better with marshmallow, but I have nougat and havn't had any GO crashing.

Outside of GO's inate ability to crash itself that is :p

I have nougat and havn't had any GO crashing.
Outside of it's inate ability to crash itself that is
Are you suggesting Go crashes itself?
It doesn't if you run a fast enough tablet with enough RAM.

Lol, anyone who flys with DJI, knows DJI GO 4.0 is crashtacular.
You get used to it.

Shield runs it as good or better as any other android tablet/phone.

It's just a fact of life that GO crashes, and no ammount of hardware spec will prevent that.
If you don't like it, I would suggest you fly Litchi.

Lol, anyone who flys with DJI, knows DJI GO 4.0 is crashtacular.
I fly more than many users and I haven't seen DJI Go4 crash in the last 1.5 years (when I moved on from using the Shield K1).
You get used to it.
What I've become used to is flawless running of the app.
Shield runs it as good or better as any other android tablet/phone.
It's just a fact of life that GO crashes, and no ammount of hardware spec will prevent that.
My experience has been quite the opposite.
If you have DJI Go 4 crashing, you need a better tablet or to properly configure the one you are using.

Last edited:
I fly more than many users and I haven't seen DJI Go4 crash in the last 1.5 years (when I moved on from using the Shield K1).

What I've become used to is flawless running of the app.

My experience has been quite the opposite.
If you have DJI Go 4 crashing, you need a better tablet or to properly configure the one you are using.

Why dont you and DJi GO get Married

To the OP, Meta4 is right regarding one thing and that's if your spending $500+ on a new "8 tablet.
The M5 is great. Has LTE and USB-C, so HDMI isn't really an issue anymore.

But if you see a second hand Shield 'as new' for around $150-$200 USD, it would be a great oppurtunity :)

I gave up on android devices when it comes to dji go 4. On a nexus 7 2013 the new version crashes constantly and signal drops out around 12000ft. This also happens with a samsung s8 plus using different cables. I hook up the ipad pro and never a crash and over 20000ft. distance at the same location within 5 minutes of flights on android flying the same direction at a lower altitude. People can say what they want but android for me is garbage when it comes to flying my mavic regardless of the processor or specs. The control signal doesn't make much sense but the facts are consistent.

Jeff

People can say what they want but android for me is garbage when it comes to flying my mavic regardless of the processor or specs.
Since there are many flyers using Android and having no problems, it doesn't make much sense to say that Android is garbage.
btw .. the Nexus 7 is from 2013 and well past its time as a flying tablet.
And the signal distance mentioned for the Samsung has nothing to do with the Samsung device.
On a nexus 7 2013 the new version crashes constantly and signal drops out around 12000ft. This also happens with a samsung s8 plus using different cables. I hook up the ipad pro and never a crash and over 20000ft. distance at the same location within 5 minutes of flights on android flying the same direction at a lower altitude.
People can say what they want but android for me is garbage when it comes to flying my mavic regardless of the processor or specs.
The control signal doesn't make much sense but the facts are consistent.
You are right .. the control signal is between your controller and the drone and completely independent of the operating system used by the viewing tablet.
I'm not sure what facts you are talking about.

Since there are many flyers using Android and having no problems, it doesn't make much sense to say that Android is garbage.
btw .. the Nexus 7 is from 2013 and well past its time as a flying tablet.
And the signal distance mentioned for the Samsung has nothing to do with the Samsung device.

You are right .. the control signal is between your controller and the drone and completely independent of the operating system used by the viewing tablet.
I'm not sure what facts you are talking about.

The fact is every time I use an android device my signal drops and rth kicks in at 50-75% of the distance I get with my ipad and still have 3 bars of signal. Please explain, I may be too ignorant to comprehend the facts of my own testing.

Just to confirm the nexus and samsung both worked fine on 4.3.12 but since upgrading to version 4.3.16 they are both worthless, stutter and reboot. This is both a tablet from 2013 and a phone with an octo-core cpu. Distance was also around 20k ft with the older 4.3.12 on all devices. Not since the update on android. My ios still functions perfect and will not get another update!

Jeff

Last edited:
The fact is every time I use an android device my signal drops and rth kicks in at 50-75% of the distance I get with my ipad and still have 3 bars of signal. Please explain, I may be too ignorant to comprehend the facts of my own testing.
Coincidence does not equal causation.
There are many factors that can affect signal but the operating system of the viewing device isn't one of them.
More testing would be required to pin down the issue.

I think the term you are looking for is mauvaise foi. Over emphasizing transcendence over facticity. None the less, I dislike android devices for this intended purpose. Instead of wasting time testing further, I will stick to my ios for the go4 app. Nothing you can say to change my opinion on the matter. You can keep your opinion and I will keep mine. Take care.

Jeff

Just checked the go4 app again on the samsung s8+ and nexus with 4.3.16 they both have me locked in ce mode. -91 and -103 at the 1km and 4km line. That explains the range difference but not the constant crashes and reboots on the android devices.

Jeff

I will stick to my ios for the go4 app.
Use whatever works for you or what you like.
That's the beauty of having a choice.

Nothing you can say to change my opinion on the matter. You can keep your opinion and I will keep mine.
It's not my opinion, it's fact.
Android devices are as able to run the DJI Go4 app as well as Apple devices do - as long as they have enough RAM, a fast enough processor and are properly configured (and that goes for Apple as well as Android).
That explains the range difference but not the constant crashes and reboots on the android devices.
The Nexus is almost stone age and not up to the task of running recent versions of the app - I'm not at all surprised it's crashing.
The Samsung ? possibly a simple configuration issue as is common with Samsung devices.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olab