DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Anyone Use Anything Extra to Secure the Battery???

MadDogDan

Reactions
I see talk every now and the about concerns of batteries detaching while in flight. Although I check often to make sure my battery is securely latched I am wondering if anyone uses something like a lightweight Velcro strap for a little extra security?

I just make sure the battery is firmly in place. I do this after reading a few reports here with drones actually dropping from the sky due to an immediate lack of power, likely because of an unseated battery. I feel pretty sure that after I snap it in place, and verify, that it's good.

I stop at that because adding a strap brings in a new potential issue, something that could come off and get into a prop, with the same potential effect of making the drone fall out of the sky. At this point I have to ask which is more likely - the battery unsnaps itself, or the strap comes off somehow. Since neither seems more likely than the other to me, I just leave it as-is.

A strap is probably a good idea but just raising the point that sometimes (maybe not in this case but sometimes) a cure is worse than the original thing you are trying to cure.

I just double-check to make sure both latches are firmly seated - don't see any reason to go beyond that; as long as the latch mechanisms aren't damaged, they'll do the job if you let them. It is possible, but not easy, to install a battery without fully latching it, but pressing down firmly, then pulling up to verify it's not loose are all you need to do.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
I'm considering adding a rubber band or other fastener as insurance. I agree with Tracer Bullet, though, that each new moving part you add is a potential source of trouble.

I've started checking the battery clips on mine carefully. I've seen at least one case in the forum where the battery tab cracked, preventing the battery from locking. If this happened during a flight, the Mavic could drop out of the sky.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoBeeshy